PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the site

mr_knowitall
01-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Hello, I am new to this site. I started a 30 gallon salt water aquarium about 5 years ago. I had no knowledge other than copying what one of my customers had in their house. I have a bunch of live rock some xenia coral or something that just seems to never grow or shrink and two clown fish that are 5 years old as well. I check my hydrometer weekly and do basic water changes about every two weeks though sometimes i get lazy and skip them and the water gets low and algae forms. I scrape it off and clean it out and start the process again.

I have a fluval filter with bits of broken up live rock inside it and no protien skimmer. My lights are coralife lights with blue and white bulbs that are now 2 years old. I hear I should change them but I don't. So far I have never had any real problems and the tank always looks awesome except when I get lazy and so and so letting the problems mentioned in the above paragraph happen.

I am happy with the way I am running it and I know a lot of extreme fish anthusiasts would say I am doing everything wrong so I am interested in hearing what I can do to improve it. If I bought awesome lights would my corals suddenly start growing?

Recently my friend gave me a green carpet anemone and a little brown fish that looks damsel like. What I am most interested in is how to take care of the green carpet anemone. I read online that you can feed it, so I have been feeding it shrimp and scallops and it seems to love it. Is it true these things can move around? Should I be feeding it? Any other info would be great. Thanks

mr_knowitall

kien
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome to Canreef! We need another knowitall around here! :lol:

kien
01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
P.S. Change your lights :D Your new anemone will thank you for it.

mr_knowitall
01-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Yeah I really know I should change the lights. What is the best lights to buy. I know I would like something that hangs from the ceiling high enough so that salt doesn't cake all over them.

Also, yesterday I fed the Anemone a piece of bacon and it gobbled it up. Is this a stupid idea? Because it looks like it really enjoyed eating bacon!

Nebthet
01-12-2011, 05:31 AM
A 4 bulb t5 fixture would work great for a 30g tank and carpet anemone with 1 actinic and 2 10k lights and the fourth something in between.
As Kien said, your anemone will tank you.
What you are feeding it is good, just make sure it is finely chopped up.

The Grizz
01-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the dark side knowitall :twised:

soapy
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah I really know I should change the lights. What is the best lights to buy. I know I would like something that hangs from the ceiling high enough so that salt doesn't cake all over them.

Also, yesterday I fed the Anemone a piece of bacon and it gobbled it up. Is this a stupid idea? Because it looks like it really enjoyed eating bacon!

Bacon ?!? You must be a reddit reader trolling us... What is next for your tank a narwhal?

As for lights these two would be kool options:

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/panorama-36-retro.html

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/cannon-led-pendants.html

gobytron
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
welcome to the board...
with a name like that, you will fit in quick around here.