PDA

View Full Version : J&L Boxing day sale order?

tkhawaja
12-22-2003, 05:34 PM
BAM, I'm back baby! Ok, now that I have that out of my system. For those of you who missed my other post. I've been in Winnipeg for the last few months for work. Very sorry that I missed the Dec get together, should have caught up on my bookkeeping faster and looked online. Hoping we have another get together very soon.

In any case, I am SOOOooo ready to add a whole LOT more cleaners to my tank. I wanted to avoid adding a collection of randomly put together cleaning crew *but* buying the ones I really want piecemeal is taking months. And it's damn expensive.

So, who, from Edmonton, is thinking of doing some sort of order from J&L on their boxing day sale? I've given in to the temptation, and I want to tack on a 50G cleanup crew "package". And, If I'm lucky enough I can pay you a bit extra to have you put it on the Grey Hound for me, to Whitecourt. Any takers?

Quinn
12-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Welcome back Ty. I'll let you know once I see the deals.

sleeman
12-23-2003, 02:27 AM
I'd probably be in. Waiting to see what kind of prices they are going to have on skimmers. Would like to get another pepermint and maybe a purple firefish as well.

Cheers,

Al

tkhawaja
12-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Welcome back Ty. I'll let you know once I see the deals.
Well, be sure to check early in the morning and post here so we have time to coordinate our efforts. I have this feeling things are going to disappear fast. At minimum, I want to get a 50G reef custodian package, nessarius snails, and some peppermint shrimp if they have them. Maybe even a bucket of salt. I think if even one other person went along it would be worth it for me to split the shipping with them.

Beverly
12-23-2003, 01:56 PM
If you ever get to Edmonton over the holidays, check out the pet store in Sherwood Park. 200g pails of IO are $70.

AI is also having a sale from Dec 27-31, though I think I saw your name on the email they sent me, so you're probably aware of what's on sale there. If you are in the Big E during AI's sale, PM me and maybe we can get together.

Welcome back :smile:

bulletsworld
12-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Hey all,

Yeah I actually have to order a rafractometer from J&L. Never ordered from J&L but I guess its like $130.00. Anyone know how much its got to be over to get free shipping?

Anyway maybe I just wait till boxing day then to order. Yeah I'll keep checking back. Let me know what everyone wants to do.

Thanks
Leeanne

Beverly
12-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Leeanne,

Free shipping on orders over $200. Here's JL's page on shipping:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/shipping.htm

bulletsworld
12-23-2003, 08:29 PM
hey bev,

thanks! Bev, haven't had a chance but still haven't forgot i have to drop off your container! I will call you later and make arrangements then. thanks again for the link to the shipping.

HOLY MACRO :eek: on shipping charges if its not over $200.00 HEY!!!!

Wow, anyone wanting to order then? let me know, My meter is $125.00. I will to the orders then so we can save shipping costs for sure! let me know.

Beverly
12-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Leeanne,

Depends on what they have on sale, we may get some stuff from JL. The two of us could make up an order easily, if they have some stuff that we want. I've got some things in mind already.

tkhawaja
12-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Well, I'm heading into Edmonton tonight to see off my father-in-law on his vacation tomorrow. Oh, and also finally watch LOTR #3, that's the big thing for me. Be back tomorrow evening, hopefully.

The refractometers are awesome and worth every penny, I think. Calibrate them properly and never have to worry again about getting your salinity wrong. Although, all it's confirmed for me is that my replacement water has been perfectly mixed with the sea salt! :biggrin:

Welcome back :smile:

Thanks. Hey, dont forget the things I want when you guys are putting together your order. Bev, I still have your number maybe I'll call you up the morning or afternoon of the 26th to organize things. Let me know so we can all save on shipping.

bulletsworld
12-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Wow, thanks for telling me about your rafractometer. Here they are handy. I am using the meter for doing a treatment called Hyposalinity to rid my fishies friends of ich. Since i have copper sensitive fish, cowfish & my puffer. With hyposalinity treatment I guess the salinity has to be 1.09 exactly. So need a device to read right on. Say, is it hard to calibrate the meter at all? never used one. i know once I do the treatment it might feel like a waste of money but i guess your right, my salinity would be dead on and when ever i got a new fish i could use Hyposalinity again.

Anyway yeah, let me know hows ordering and I will hand my moola over.
let me know guys what everyone decides. Yeah cause shipping is blah and way better free!

bulletsworld
12-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Wow, thanks for telling me about your rafractometer. Hear they are handy. I am using the meter for doing a treatment called Hyposalinity to rid my fishies friends of ich. Hope it actually works though the treatment. Since i have copper sensitive fish, cowfish & my puffer. With hyposalinity treatment I guess the salinity has to be 1.09 exactly. So need a device to read dead on. I guess what i need.

Say, is it hard to calibrate the meter at all? :question: Never used one. i know once I do the treatment it might feel like a waste of money but i guess your right, my salinity would be dead on and when ever i got a new fish i could use Hyposalinity again. Thanks.

Anyway yeah, let me know who's ordering or i can doesnt matter just let me know. Cause I will hand my moola (Money) over!
let me know guys what everyone decides. Yeah cause shipping is blah and way better free! :cool:

Stretch
12-23-2003, 11:43 PM
\Say, is it hard to calibrate the meter at all? :question: Never used one. i know once I do the treatment it might feel like a waste of money but i guess your right, my salinity would be dead on and when ever i got a new fish i could use Hyposalinity again. Thanks.

They arn't hard too calibrate, And Well worth every penny

To calibrate, You can use distilled water or a refrence solution (saltwater solution at a certain PPT). You put a few drops of water on the prism and use the tiny little screw driver to adjust the the reading on the refractometer if it's distilled water it will read 0ppt or 1.000 or what ever the refrence solution is
check out this link to shows you how http://diyreef.com/calibration.htm

I didn't buy my refractometer from J&L, and i got a reference solution i don't know if J&L has them. I bought mine from www.diyreef.com for $35 USD plus i think 10 buck shipping and about another 10 for GST. I got it at 35 when he was selling them on ebay. On his webpage he has them listed at 43bucks now, shipping took two weeks though standard mail, if you use UPS or FedEx they will hit you with extra charges. I got it for about 70 bucks CDN well worth it, plus i got the solution for free no idea if that comes with it anymore. Still you might only be looking at 80bucks still a nice 50 dollar saving. Just though i'd let you know

Beverly
12-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Ty,

Call in the morning, say about 10:30. By that time I will have been able to look over the sale. Am only getting dry goods, though, and will ship by ground.

Maybe someone else in Edmonton wants corals/fish/inverts....

Beverly
12-23-2003, 11:47 PM
To calibrate, You can use distilled water

Distilled water can be bought cheap at any drug store.

bulletsworld
12-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Wow, thanks Stretch! That would be totally awesome! And I just love saving money if possible. $50 dollar saving would be awesome! Yeah that meter can get expensive, probably why I never bought one yet. Wow, I will check out the link. Wow, thanks so much!

Also thanks for the tips on calibration. I wasn't sure. But yeah thinking its going to be money well spent. Just wasn't sure anyone was buying one since I have been having a hard time finding one. Glad to here there is people that use them. I'll let you you if I end up getting from there. Thanks again. Greatly appreciated!

Leeanne :smile:

Stretch
12-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Your welcome Glad i could help, Funny thing is, well not really about 2 hours after posting that I dropped my refractometer on the floor (during a water change) :eek: :cry: Which is cement :cry: but only from about >6 inches. I broke some of the plastic pieces on it. I was swearing too no end. I managed to glue it back together. I works still i think......... :confused:

bulletsworld
12-25-2003, 04:03 AM
No way! Are you serious! Thats whacked! Well glad its not completly broken or else you would be buying one too, hey. Good to hear it was only the plastic. I still have to check on that site and get my but in gear. Be ording boxing day or so probably.

Well Merry Christmas everyone!

tkhawaja
12-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Say, is it hard to calibrate the meter at all? :question:
I guess someone else got to this question first but yes, they are really easy to calibrate. The best thing I can say is that becuase it only takes two drops of water and a few seconds to check the salinity, at least that test gets performed several times a week. Becase it's so easy to do. The other tests rarely get done since the water quality got stable a few months back. But we're getting waaay off topic for doing a group order. :lol:

Beverly, I'll call you up as you suggested.

Anyone thinking of livestock to share shipping?

kuatto
12-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Well I finally convinced my wife to let me get in on the jl boxing sale and while returning something to Walmart this morning,the control arm snapped on the car(while on the highway)tire folded under and I came to a real sudden stop!
So guess I'll have to pass :cry:
Maybe Santa will bring me something nice (like a new car :razz: )

Jim