PDA

View Full Version : Lighting options/opinions, mixed reef 36"cube

cale262
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Looking for some lighting suggestions for a mixed reef system. I was planning on using a 36" Vertex LED fixture but I don't think that will give me enough spread and at the price, two of these fixtures is not in the cards ATM...I have a nice 30" fixture with one 250MH, two 24" T5HO and moonlights That I think may work but I'm not above looking at other options and listening to others opinions...fire away.

The Box is 36Lx32Wx20H SF w/ a one peice euro brace...

TIA

ScubaSteve
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I've got a 24"x24"x18" tank with a 150W coralife with 2-65W actinics. I use the legs o. The light rather than suspending it. As the light runs crosswise over my tank, the result is the far front and far back are dimmer than the center. The only way you can correct this for a lighting system that was designed to go over a rectangular tank is to suspend it and raise the light to get better coverage. Unfortunately, this also causes increased light spillage and will also lower your overall intensity (stupid inverse square law). In which case I think you'll need atleast a 250W for your tank and would probably be fine with that. You may have to live with the the low lights spots and design around it or tinker with it to get more even light. If you're doing a mixed reef though you can stick tour low light species in the low light spots as I have. Works well.

IMO, circular, square or octagonal pendant reflectors give the best light distribution but I have yet to see one that successfully incorporates actinics (either T5 or PC) and looks somewhat aesthetically pleasing.

phi delt reefer
01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
one of these should do it. If you install a sky light above it you can call for help in the evenings in case that Penguin fool starts running a muck in your neighbourhood.

http://host.trivialbeing.org/up/bat-signal.jpg

Flash
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
HA!:lol:

cale262
01-09-2011, 02:13 AM
I have a 24x24x18 system now with a 250MH 20k and two 24" T5HO (1 actinics 1 fiji) , all bulbs new in Nov. which just doesn't look bright enough to me...

I'm thinking maybe something with two 250MH, 4 x T5HO, and moonlights...