PDA

View Full Version : when boredom strikes

lockrookie
01-07-2011, 04:16 AM
so as the title says im bored i need a project and i have a 10g and a 20g tank sitting here collecting dust. teasing me. and honestly i have enough going on with the two tanks i really don't need another but i have a need to build something. so here are a couple ideas thus far. the void under theonepaneof glass is just forreturn water volume so that i dont have to topup so much.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/nanooption.jpg

your thoughts and comments are welcomed

The Grizz
01-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Man you get bored alot:lol: what program are you using for the drafting?

lockrookie
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Man you get bored alot:lol: what program are you using for the drafting?

windows paint lol. and yes i do lately i have the need to build over the holidays i painted three rooms in our house and in still not out of the mode

Beanz
01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
looks cool man. I set up a 10 gallon nano and it kinda looks like the second design u have except it only had 2 chambers. one chamber with the bio cube protein skimmer in it and the other with some cheato ruble rock and return pump. it was really nice with the spray bar that i connected to the return cause of the shimmer effect with MH lights. the things that i didn't like about the set up was the evaporation was really quick so you had to add water every day or it would start splashing out so im curious to see how the pane of glass u put in there works out (an ATO would be the solution but i didnt wanna spend $50 on it for a tank that i didnt wanna spend money on). and another thing i didnt like was the lack of space for equipment in there that i wanted. so i decided to pull my 15 gallon out and plumb it into my main tank (which will also stabilize the water parameters for the sps that i want to keep in there). anyways it looks like ur really good with windows paint so u can see what the design will look like and i think its gonna b a really kool tank i cant wait to see what you do with the tank(s) so good luck.

Cheers, Ian

lockrookie
01-09-2011, 04:10 AM
looks cool man. I set up a 10 gallon nano and it kinda looks like the second design u have except it only had 2 chambers. one chamber with the bio cube protein skimmer in it and the other with some cheato ruble rock and return pump. it was really nice with the spray bar that i connected to the return cause of the shimmer effect with MH lights. the things that i didn't like about the set up was the evaporation was really quick so you had to add water every day or it would start splashing out so im curious to see how the pane of glass u put in there works out (an ATO would be the solution but i didnt wanna spend $50 on it for a tank that i didnt wanna spend money on). and another thing i didnt like was the lack of space for equipment in there that i wanted. so i decided to pull my 15 gallon out and plumb it into my main tank (which will also stabilize the water parameters for the sps that i want to keep in there). anyways it looks like ur really good with windows paint so u can see what the design will look like and i think its gonna b a really kool tank i cant wait to see what you do with the tank(s) so good luck.

Cheers, Ian

see the skimmer is the problem i have to find a used one somewhere before i build so i can build around it. i have another idea on design but not sure how to draw it as of yet. by no means am i a pro at windows paint lol i wish i had a good drafting program. i had thoughts of setting iton end removing a side pane and making it a corner tank. or i may just scrap the wholething and build somethign comletely off the wall..literally kinda likea picture frame tank

Skimmerking
01-09-2011, 04:13 AM
why worry about a skimmer on a small tank. I wouldn't do a small 5 gal would be good for taking out the crappy water.

lockrookie
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
i have a skimmer frame of mind if it helps reduce water changes although it depends on the bio load i plan for the tank. if i i have a coral onlytank then im not too concerned but if i put a fish or two in i like having a skimmer.

Beanz
01-10-2011, 03:21 AM
see the skimmer is the problem i have to find a used one somewhere before i build so i can build around it. i have another idea on design but not sure how to draw it as of yet. by no means am i a pro at windows paint lol i wish i had a good drafting program. i had thoughts of setting iton end removing a side pane and making it a corner tank. or i may just scrap the wholething and build somethign comletely off the wall..literally kinda likea picture frame tank

ya the skimmer i have is kinda s&@t but i didnt wanna spend any money on the tank so.. it did the job. i also had to build my tank around the skimmer and the thing that i didnt want to do was add water everyday for the skimmer to work properly cause its one of the wooden airstone ones so i didnt wanna have to add water everyday and fiddle with the air knob. so i decided to have a camber for the skimmer and just add water to the other chamber. lol it turned out that i had to add water everyday anyways or i'd have some nice salt to clean off my desk hahaha.

That sounds like a really really kool idea with building it into a wall. I will b following this thread closely i was actually thinking of doing this kinda set up into a shelf and having a little zoa tank or something.

Cheers, Ian

lockrookie
01-10-2011, 03:29 AM
this is just a planning thread when i actually get around to building it im unsure. but when i do i will make it a proper build thread :)

Beanz
01-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Ok, lol. its gonna b a really sick tank tho. Good to see planning and stuff tho (unlike me to some extent :D ).

lockrookie
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
ok here it is i wanted to build a nano tank for something to do and have rethought the idea. in fact it will be a breeding tank

tell me what you think.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/11.png

btw im still building a nano to fit into this room for ambiance :)