PDA

View Full Version : need some techy help( neptune apex)

reefwars
01-07-2011, 04:06 AM
alright......grrrrr!!!!! who wants to come over and help me set this up(apex) as im about to light it on fire lol ive been to rc and reading the forums thing is i dont know jack about my computer so all i can do is just barely get it working or possible shake it untill the lights turn on lol. so seeing is learning so whoi wants to come over and help me set it up and understand it and seeeeeeeee my new PUPPY!!!:):):)

Aquattro
01-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Have you downloaded the simple user guide?

Coleus
01-07-2011, 04:28 AM
did you use the manual from here http://reeftech.webs.com ?

reefwars
01-07-2011, 04:58 AM
did you use the manual from here http://reeftech.webs.com ?

nice find thanks guys:):)

ive read the manual that came with it , took forever then i had a headache lol so i hit reefcentral for a few hours now i have a " real" headache lol surprised i didnt stumble on to this thanks:):)

PoonTang
01-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Its been suggested several times that Neptune ship their units with the Unofficial user guide or at least get the guy to rewrite theirs.

Aquattro
01-07-2011, 05:14 AM
surprised i didnt stumble on to this thanks:):)

It's the first sticky post in the Neptune forum :)

reefwars
01-07-2011, 06:37 AM
It's the first sticky post in the Neptune forum :)

thats always my luck lol:):) glad to say i got it figured out for the basics, just got my first text a few mins ago so tomorrow i hook the badboy up in its new home:):) thanks again guys for the info:)

RyanJ
01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
The Neptune is no biggie to setup! just get overwhelmed lol! Just make sure you write down what plus is what on your DC8! It only took me 20 min to get mine up and goin!!! and I have 2 DC8's and float switches installed, Just take ur time and it will fall together!

reefwars
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
getting it to run was mostly easy once i read and read its the accessing it from another computer im having trouble with, im using a linksys router and im having trouble with the ports, i did the dyndns and set up a host name. but when it goes on to say to log in my router and use a port number from my routers manual is where i get lost ive been on the linksys....i used the "cmd" and ipconfig/all and i got my ip address and entered it and i was able to get into my linksys but when i go to the router section im nit sure what to enter and i dont want to enter something and not know what it was for any help??? bear with me as im very computer dumb and find myself constantly looking up what have the lingo even means lol

this is where im to these are the instructions and im stuck on step7 and then im not sure on what to enter on step 8 when i get a friend to try from his computer, what do i type in on his browser???

Putting it all together If you're still game, here's how to put it all together: 1. Turn off DHCP on the Apex
2. Enter a static IP address in the Apex that's not being used on your network
3. Assign a port to the Apex and let it reboot.
4. Make sure you can still access the controller. You now access it from your browser with this syntax: http://192.168.0.110:8000 (assumes address 110 was picked and port 8000).
5. You can? Good. Move on. If not, stop and recheck what you‟ve done. If you think you‟ve entered everything correctly, reboot your router (first) then base unit (second).
6. Setup an account with DynDNS (or whomever you select). Pick a hostname, register and enter your router‟s external IP address. Download and install the updater software if you‟re using DynDNS. DynDNS will track this from now on and change it as necessary. You will just use the name you selected and could care less about the IP address after this.
7. Log into your router and find the menu for port forwarding. Enter port 8000 (or whatever you selected as your port in #3), select "all traffic" and input the now static IP address of your Apex from #2, 192.168.0.110. Sometimes there‟s a check box to activate/deactivate it. Make sure the box is checked.
8. Now go to a PC that‟s not on your home network (time to call a friend you haven‟t talked to in years). Have them try accessing your Apex via the hostname you created in step #6. Remember to include the port from step #3. So if your DynDNS hostname was "myapex.homedns.com" and you had selected a port number of 8000 you would enter "http://myapex.homedns.com:8000" in the browser address bar. You should get a small window with the Apex login prompt. Enter your Apex userid and password and voila! You should be in.
9. You will want to change the userid and password on the Apex after this to be safe. Remember, your Apex is now accessible from the Internet.
10. If you‟re successful to this point you might want to repeat step 7 for telnet access to your controller. This way Neptune can get into your system for remote support. Simply add another port forwarding statement in your router but this time the port must be “23”. Point it to the exact same IP address, that of your Apex controller.

noirsphynx
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
alright......grrrrr!!!!! who wants to come over and help me set this up(apex) as im about to light it on fire lol ive been to rc and reading the forums thing is i dont know jack about my computer so all i can do is just barely get it working or possible shake it untill the lights turn on lol. so seeing is learning so whoi wants to come over and help me set it up and understand it and seeeeeeeee my new PUPPY!!!:):):)

Sorry, I can't help with the controller BUT did you literally get a new puppy? If so, pics please :razz:.

reefwars
01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry, I can't help with the controller BUT did you literally get a new puppy? If so, pics please :razz:.

hahaha i did get a new puppy i figured everyone thought my apex was my new puppy check out my find a name thread in a few mins it will have pics :):)

reefwars
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
could someone explain how i know what ports i am allowed to use and what to do when i am at someone elses computer...im not sure what i would type in the browser do i type an ip address or my host thingy i made???

headache for sure lol:):)

cwatkins
01-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Very quick example of how I setup mine:

1a. Setup your apex with a unique static internal IP address. Such as 192.168.1.30 (make sure it matches the same ip range as your computers). You can use the 'ipconfig /all' command to find out what your computer's internal IP address is.
1b. Make sure it's plugged into your router/switch with an ethernet cable.
1c. Go to http://192.168.1.30/ from your home PC and the apex login screen should appear.
2. Now login to your router setup screen. Setup port forwarding on your router. Example: On your router, port forward (external) port 8080 to (internal) 192.167.1.30 port 80.
3. Setup DDNS (Dynamic DNS) on your router, most linksys support this. Usually you just tell it that you're using dyndns.com, what your username and password are for dyndns.com, and what the 'alias' is. Example: johnsmith.dyndns.org.
4. Now from work or other peoples houses (or even better: iphone or blackberry on 3G), go to: http://johnsmith.dyndns.org:8080/ and the apex login screen should appear.

P.S. Then go get an iPhone and use the AquaNotes app to monitor your tank remotely!