PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite substrate?

abcha0s
01-07-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm looking at Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/aragalive.html

I like the larger "Average Small Grain Size" - (1mm) because I don't want the powerheads blowing it around.

I will be setting up a shallow sand bed, not a DSB so the ultra fine grain isn't really a requirement.

It does say that this sand is not "Burrower Friendly". Can anyone speculate why?

I also like the "West Caribbean Reef" for the same reasons and it is "Burrower Friendly" - The only problem is I have no idea where to source it from other than the US?

Thanks!!

cwatkins
01-07-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm going to tag along. I used Ocean Direct Original grade, but am now wishing I went with something more 'whiter'. My sand doesn't look anywhere near as good as some people's reef pics that they post up here.

Edit: Found this on the FAQ link of the sand you were looking at:

What type of system would I use West Caribbean Reef in?

West Caribbean is great for plenum and Berlin systems. It has the added advantage of having varied grain sizes that allow burrowing animals to thrive in it, (great for Jawfish).

MitchM
01-07-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm looking at Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand.

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/aragalive.html

It does say that this sand is not "Burrower Friendly". Can anyone speculate why?

I also like the "West Caribbean Reef" for the same reasons and it is "Burrower Friendly" - The only problem is I have no idea where to source it from other than the US?

Thanks!!

If you look on their webpage, under "glossary of terms" it defines what they consider to be burrower friendly.
I think it's Flash, so I can't copy and paste it...

I've ordered Caribsea sand from Red Coral before. Maybe they can get it in?

Aquattro
01-07-2011, 03:03 AM
I prefer the sugar sand for it's natural look and crisp white color, however it is a task to get the flow right so it stays on the bottom...