PDA

View Full Version : Anyone what to take a stab at an ID

The Grizz
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I found these at the bottom of the bag when I got home last week from Edmonton and if some one could ID them that would be great.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/c68284d8.png
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/503a7924.png
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/5d6394a7.png

zum14
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Them look an aweful lot like flatworms. You treat whatever was in that bag?

corpusse
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Flatworms (Planaria) they will reproduce very quickly.

I'm pretty sure they are the orangish type that do reproduce like crazy but I'm not 100% sure. There are some more harmless kinds that don't end up taking over a tank.

Still I'd recommend you pick up some flatworm exit and treat your tank immediately. Better to get them now, then when you have 1000s.

The flatworms themselves are not harmful but when they die they release a toxin. A small amount won't have effect on a system but thousands will. They also become very unslightly when they cover every coral and rock.

lorenz0
01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
flatworms for sure. dude pick up some flatworm exit asap, even if the coral has only been in the tank for a couple of hours. thats a headack you don't want.

patpare
01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I had a BAD flatworm infestation and my solution was a scooter blenny,within 1month there was not even 1 flatworm in my tank.Flatworm exit can be very tricky and once they start dying from the treatment it will pollute your tank,and if you have ALOT of them you can even wipe out your tank,this has not happened to me but I've seen an 175g sps dominant tank go completely to wast.

paddyob
01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Yup flatworms.

I saw some in an LFS tank here. A pretty bad out break actually.

daniella3d
01-05-2011, 10:52 PM
yup!

try to syphon out as much as possible with a tube or a pipette before you do a treatment if you do a treatment as they are poison when they die and can pollute the tank. I think that flatworm exit might kill pods as well so if you have a fish that depends on pods, you might want to research this.

Yup flatworms.

I saw some in an LFS tank here. A pretty bad out break actually.

The Grizz
01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
These did not come from my tank or get into my tank because the clam the was in the bag with this mess did not make it out of acclimation.

Skimmerking
01-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Grizz it keeps on getting better with that clam and now finding them FLATWORMS :cry:

The Grizz
01-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I did get a reply from the store at least and sent them the picture but have not heard anything since. And it has been confirmed that the store has an infestation of flatworms but the did not say anything to me about it at time of purchase which I really don't like.

paddyob
01-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Do flat worms cause damage to clams, or are they just a pain in the ass?

The Grizz
01-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Do flat worms cause damage to clams, or are they just a pain in the ass?

From what Steve relayed they are clam killers

Big Tang
01-06-2011, 04:12 AM
I hope He's going to replace it for you.That would and could have been a mess if that went straight into your display. Thank god

The Grizz
01-06-2011, 04:16 AM
I hope He's going to replace it for you.That would and could have been a mess if that went straight into your display. Thank god

To be honest I don't think I really want any thing from that store unless it does not come out of there tanks. I would like to get a full refund on both the clams I got from there as I suspect that is what killed them both.

Big Tang
01-06-2011, 06:15 AM
To be honest I don't think I really want any thing from that store unless it does not come out of there tanks. I would like to get a full refund on both the clams I got from there as I suspect that is what killed them both.

Probably! Thats why I like to be there when something i want comes in so I can iclimatize it my self to my Qt. Especially from a store that has been in biz for only a few months nomatter how nice, noligabile they are...Sorry about your bad luck man.

paddyob
01-06-2011, 06:17 AM
From what Steve relayed they are clam killers

I read a bit on flat worms... and the flat worm they say eats clams is quite different... here is a link

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/lg_flatworm.html

I could not find anything on the small red ones though. There are so many types of critters its really amazing.

Hopefully you get it all worked out Greg.

ScubaSteve
01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Dude, those are planaria. From my understanding they don't attack clams at all but they can irritate them. They feed mostly on detritus, so make sure you keep blasting the rocks to knock off detritus AND the flat worms; that should nip them in the bud.

DON'T USE FLATWORM EXIST UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED TOO. Yes, it works but sometimes I think the cure does more damage than the condition you are trying to treat. FW Exit itself can hurt inverts and when the FW die they release a toxin that can do some serious damage it there are enough of them in the tank.

The best thing you can do really is pick up a blue velvet nudi. They make quick work of the FW. Just make sure you pass it on once they're gone or else it will starve. I had a terrible FW outbreak last spring when I had to leave my tank for 2 months while I was moving. Got a blue velvet nudi and they were gone in 2 weeks. I still see one or two FWs now and then in areas where detritus builds up but with improved flow in these areas now even this seems to be going away.

BlueWorldAquatic
01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I should have blue velvet nudi's in next week.

Also a yellow and melarus wrasse would help too. If you can't find them, a 6 line will help.

Ken

paddyob
01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
I should have blue velvet nudi's in next week.

Also a yellow and melarus wrasse would help too. If you can't find them, a 6 line will help.

Ken

And don't forget Spotted Mandarins. Natural prey is flat worms. I had a huge out break once. I added a Spotted (based on a lot of research) and he completely wiped them out. It has been 4 years and I have not seen another one since.

The Grizz
01-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Once again the flatworm or the clam NEVER made it into my tank. I have a yellow wrasse, a 6 line wrasse and a manderine in the tank already.

Good news thought I have heard from the store and they are willing to deal with it. So I am hopeing to get a clam from them before it hits there tank and QT it myself.

fishytime
01-07-2011, 03:40 AM
the flatworms you pictured were not planaria and are not the clam eating ones either.......look like plain brown comensal flat worms to me.....clams died for some other reason...

The Grizz
01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Could the clam have been in a fragile state if it was in a tank infested with them and the trip home they did some more damage?

slats35
01-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Don't want to be an ass but what store were they from? If I read correctly was it red coral Edmonton?

The Grizz
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't want to be an ass but what store were they from? If I read correctly was it red coral Edmonton?

Then don't be an ass, I will not say what store except that it was definately NOT Red Coral Edmonton

RedCoralEdmonton
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Correct it was not from us, I was simply trying to help I'd the problem for Greg.....

Steve