PDA

View Full Version : Multiple glass pane bottomed tanks?

kien
01-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm just curious if anyone out there has any experience with tanks that have multiple glass panes seamed together for the bottom glass. Do they hold fine? Specifically I'm curious about an 'L' configuration. Instead of one L shaped bottom pane what long term robustness (or lack off) will two pieces of bottom glass have?

imcosmokramer
01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I believe all Elos tanks are constructed from multiple pieces that way.

lastlight
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh the thread I started regarding this just wasn't good enough for you WAS it?

kien
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh the thread I started regarding this just wasn't good enough for you WAS it?

Sorry I missed that thread! Can you link me to it?? Please and thank you!

lastlight
01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68492

you only replied in it. lol.

pirate
01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
People make plywood tanks, so why could'nt you make a plywood bottom and glass sides? Just an Idea

lastlight
01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
He didn't tell you about his glass-bottomed, ply-sided cube fiasco? I don't think he wants to combine those materials again.

kien
01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
People make plywood tanks, so why could'nt you make a plywood bottom and glass sides? Just an Idea

This is something I've wondered too. More specifically why don't people use cheaper acrylic for the bottom pane? Cheaper and lighter. You don't see the bottom pane anyway.

fishytime
01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
they do it all the time.....they take a wide strip glass and bond the three pieces together....

zum14
01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Ive wondered about this myself but came to the conclusion of not doing it. My concern is not the tank. Its the support under it. It would have to be a steel stand that would have to be rigid as heck. Do- able. Now can you keep whatever the stand is on stable? Houses move and settle all the time. Really cold day in winter shows that well when things are cracking and snapping. And even that big concrete slab in the basement is moving. Its not much, but its enough that i didnt want to take the risk. A tank like that would be show and have lots of money invested. Saying that though it has been done. Theres one on reef central where he built a large L shaped tank. Hes got more money then i do. The acrylic idea is interesting......

Coleus
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I think it is probably fine but then now you are taking a risk of having one more seam. More chance of leaking :-)