PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Weld-On in Calgary?

FishyFishy!
01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I want to make a media rack out of some acrylic I have lying around. I know Weld-On is the best for glueing acrylic. Where can I find this stuff in calgary?

Delphinus
01-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Industrial Paints and Plastics, located in Builders Park (just a little bit north and east of Chinook Centre).

http://ippnet.com/calgary.html

Black Phantom
01-08-2011, 03:45 AM
The last time I checked Industrial just had the #16. Should work ok for shelves.
Laird plastics used to have #3, 4 and 16 if you want a bit more choice.

DiverDude
01-09-2011, 01:12 AM
I get mine at Sabic Polymershapes (formerly GE Polymershapes which was Cadillac Plastic before that). They have EVERYTHING plastic. They're right up by the airport (their parking lot backs onto the Field Aviation Hangars)

http://www.sabicpolymershapes.com

MicroTankin
01-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Just went to "Sabic Polymershapes (formerly GE Polymershapes which was Cadillac Plastic before that)" and they would not sell it to me because they have a minimum order price of 20 bucks and the tube is only 8 or something like that.....oh well search goes on!

Delphinus
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Industrial Paint and Plastics :lol: Oh wait I've said that already. :p

They might not have "Weldon" brand #3 or #4 (I thought they did but oh well maybe not anymore) but if it's the runny stuff you're after (you need an applicator bottle with a needle) they should have some generic Methyl chloride. I always just use the #16, it's the consistency of model glue so easier to work with - I find the runny stuff (#3 or #4) you need a practised hand (and cleaner edges) to do a nice job. It will make a cleaner seam if you do it right - but spill any at your own peril sort of thing (ie., will put a melt/burn mark in the acrylic).

MicroTankin
01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Ya Tony, I am going to head there some time soon, I just went to Sabic Polymershapes on my lunch cause it is 2 min away from school for me. I want the #16 anyways my edges are just snapped off with a cutter like you would glass so not perfect but close, I think the 16 will be my best bet for a nice clean job!

DiverDude
01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry, I forgot about their minimum. I don't usually seem to have a problem with it because well... I could spend a fortune there. You might consider buying some of the thinner WeldOn as well (for future projects) and some of the applicator bottles. That should get you over $20, no problem !

If your edges are rough, you'll want to sand them a bit. The flatter the edge, the better the bond.

MicroTankin
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey just thought I would update this....I went to Industrial Paint and Plastics. Great service there and really knowledgable guys. There prices are good to on acrylics and they they have acrylic tube so that is awsome *future diy skimmer??* Any way they had the #16 and every other kind of weld on known to man. The tube was like 8 bucks total so not too bad. Anyway got what I needed thanks for the info!