PDA

View Full Version : Condylactis Anemone is dead. Does it pollute??

ganowicki
06-04-2002, 12:33 AM
I went away for the weekend and when I came back My Anemone was gone. I have now found pieces of it in my filter so it is obviously dead. My question is... Does it pollute the water similarly like a sea apple????

christyf5
06-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Sorry Gord. I don't know the answer to your question but I would think if your anemone is big enough it could cause you problems with ammonia perhaps. I was more interested in the fact that you're from Nanaimo!! Wow, I thought I was all alone here!!! Cool! Welcome to the board!
How big is your tank? What do you have in it??

I hope someone on here knows the answer to your question. Although I would think that if there was going to be a problem with toxicity you would have seen it when you got home.

Christy smile.gif

Aquattro
06-04-2002, 01:19 AM
Gord, it won't poison the tank like a sea apple, but it does warrant a water change. Any decaying matter will contribute ammonia to the system. If your tank is really big, it might be a minimal contribution. If it was me, I'd test for NH3 and do a partial change.

Delphinus
06-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Ditto on the water change advice. Maybe you also want to run some carbon and filter floss. It could theoretically release additional things such as shed nematocysts, but as had been mentioned it won't be anywhere near like that of a deceased sea apple. Unfortunately, whatever it was capable of doing to your water, it has already done so: so some preventative maintenance in is order, just to be on the safe side. In most likelihood, the worst is probably already past.. so I'd not give it a huge worry other than the water change and the carbon.