PDA

View Full Version : copperband twitching its head

daniella3d
01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
My new copperband butterfly is often twitching its head and a bit for the bottom fins as well. I was wondering if I should treat it with hyposalinity? could it be fluke? He's breathing a little fast as well, not sure if it is normal or not. I have it for 3 days now and the fish is eating PE mysis and live white worms.

He's on the skinny side with the top part being pinched, so I am worried that the fish has some parasites. I don,t know what's best, prazipro? hyposalinity? or just wait a little more?

Delphinus
01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
You *should* be able to see flukes but then again they are white and opaque and a CBB is white so unless they go onto the eyes it might be very difficult if not impossible to detect them in your situation.

Here's my thinking: if it's flukes, doing nothing is likely not the best course of action. If you have the ability to deliver a prazipro treatment, it might be a good idea. Now that I know more about flukes, I've heard that butterflies and angels seem to almost always come in with flukes.

On the flipside, if the fish does not have flukes, I'm not sure if it hurts the fish to do that Prazipro treatment regardless.

The downside is that it will kill off all manners of flatworms (things will come out of your rock that you had no idea you even had) and it's very hard on your biofilter. I also lost my abalone shortly after a prazi treatment to my whole tank, it's hard to say whether it was coincidence (it was 5 years old, I have no idea what their lifespan is) or whether it was related (all the other snails lived through the treatment, but an abalone is somewhat different than a regular snail, so who knows).

As far as hospital tank vs main tank, tough choice. If the fish has flukes, now they're in the main display and others will be exposed to them. But it's harsh to treat a main tank and accept the consequences and the subsequent tank reset that comes after. A hospital tank is perfect isolation but the stress of capture/moving the fish is usually worse than whatever you're trying to treat and the hospital tank itself will have to cycle and the fish can just die from ammonia poisoning. I never know what the best choice is. But when I had a fish with flukes, it was apparent within days that it was a TERRIBLE infestation and so I made the choice to treat the whole tank and accept the consequences. Other than the abalone, all corals and inverts made it through it and took a few weeks of water changes and carbon to get the tank looking "good" again .. but the important thing is all fish came out of the event healthy, which is amazing if you saw what my lieutenant tang looked like at the peak of the flukes infestation, I thought he was a goner for sure but the prazipro fixed him right up. I'll find the picture and post it later.

FWIW I'm of the opinion that I will treat prazipro any new butterfly or angel that I buy from now on, regardless of symptoms or not. Unless MAYBE they come from a known fluke-free source (ie., another tank that shows no signs).

Delphinus
01-02-2011, 09:04 PM
This was taken shortly after I started the treatment (I actually did praziquantal powder not Prazipro, it's stronger, but you have to predissolve the powder in vodka because it's not soluble in water):

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P2060001.jpg

Here's a more recent shot now ..
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/DSC_0007.jpg

I remember distinctly that he did exhibit some head twitching at the beginning. Soooo ... if I were in your situation I'd be thinking of prazipro too.

Good luck and I hope this info is helpful.

daniella3d
01-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Wow that poor tang looks terrible. Glad he made a recovery.

Well, not an easy decision. He's in my frag tank and there are no other fish in there. The tank is established for one year but I also have a quarantine tank that I use when I have to treat my fish so I could use that for the parzi treatment.

I would definitly not treat in the frag tank. He's twitching and dashing sometime so something is not right. He's eating well though, so that's good. He does act as if something is bothering him and hurting. I used to have discus and they are champion of flukes and they act like that when infested with flukes.

When I was using prazipro on my freshwater tank it was not affecting my biofilter at all but I did not have tons of worms dying either. If I do that in the quarantine tank, it might not affect the biofilter if nothing die maybe?

I guess I will put up the quarantine tank and treat with prazipro. I really don't want fluke in my main system wich is disease free and has been since day one. Prazipro is already dissolved so no messing with solvant.

I use pieces of liverock as filtration and that worked very well (no ammonia) last time I used it for my hippo tang hyposalinity treatment.

I was wondering if hyposalinity kill flukes?

You *should* be able to see flukes but then again they are white and opaque and a CBB is white so unless they go onto the eyes it might be very difficult if not impossible to detect them in your situation.

Here's my thinking: if it's flukes, doing nothing is likely not the best course of action. If you have the ability to deliver a prazipro treatment, it might be a good idea. Now that I know more about flukes, I've heard that butterflies and angels seem to almost always come in with flukes.

On the flipside, if the fish does not have flukes, I'm not sure if it hurts the fish to do that Prazipro treatment regardless.

The downside is that it will kill off all manners of flatworms (things will come out of your rock that you had no idea you even had) and it's very hard on your biofilter. I also lost my abalone shortly after a prazi treatment to my whole tank, it's hard to say whether it was coincidence (it was 5 years old, I have no idea what their lifespan is) or whether it was related (all the other snails lived through the treatment, but an abalone is somewhat different than a regular snail, so who knows).

As far as hospital tank vs main tank, tough choice. If the fish has flukes, now they're in the main display and others will be exposed to them. But it's harsh to treat a main tank and accept the consequences and the subsequent tank reset that comes after. A hospital tank is perfect isolation but the stress of capture/moving the fish is usually worse than whatever you're trying to treat and the hospital tank itself will have to cycle and the fish can just die from ammonia poisoning. I never know what the best choice is. But when I had a fish with flukes, it was apparent within days that it was a TERRIBLE infestation and so I made the choice to treat the whole tank and accept the consequences. Other than the abalone, all corals and inverts made it through it and took a few weeks of water changes and carbon to get the tank looking "good" again .. but the important thing is all fish came out of the event healthy, which is amazing if you saw what my lieutenant tang looked like at the peak of the flukes infestation, I thought he was a goner for sure but the prazipro fixed him right up. I'll find the picture and post it later.

FWIW I'm of the opinion that I will treat prazipro any new butterfly or angel that I buy from now on, regardless of symptoms or not. Unless MAYBE they come from a known fluke-free source (ie., another tank that shows no signs).

Delphinus
01-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't know if hyposalinity will work or not for flukes. I do know Prazipro will work. And I agree with your assesment that 1) something is wrong, and 2) it's very likely flukes. If it were me I'd do the prazipro. The one time I did prazipro it solved the problem, the one time I tried hyposalinity the fish died. So I know what I would do in your situation but every situation is different so good luck whatever you decide.

Myka
01-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Hypo won't kill flukes. Prazi is the best bet. I treat most incoming fish with a week of Prazi. Amazing some of the stuff that falls off them!

shrimpchips
01-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Prazi will also hit internal parasites, so it's often advisable to treat with prazi anyways.

What you might want to consider (now and in the future) is that many fish will stop eating for a while after prazi. So you may want to get the new fish eating first, before you treat with prazi if the infestation with flukes isn't too bad. With my incoming fish, I try to get them eating my foods first and then after about a week or so, then I'll give them a prazi treatment.

Also, if you're up for trying it, a freshwater dip of 5 - 10 minutes will kill most external parasites, including flukes. This can be 'gentler' - I did this with a Potter's angelfish instead of an initial prazi treatment since it wasn't eating well yet. Just make sure to match your tank temp and pH and aerate well when doing the dip and keep and eye on the fish during the whole dip, and remove the fish if it's showing signs of a lot of stress.

Myka
01-03-2011, 03:52 AM
With my incoming fish, I try to get them eating my foods first and then after about a week or so, then I'll give them a prazi treatment.

That's what I do these days too. For the last while I have been letting fish settle into a pseudo-QT (I keep rubble in there, and it stays through medication) for a week or so to reduce stress and get them eating. After that, I will medicate as needed. Only in really dire circumstances will I medicate right away. I used to do prolonged dips on all incoming fish then toss them in the sump for a week before introduction into the main tank, and that was hit or miss. It was also hit or miss just plopping the fish in the sump with no dips...kinda scary too.

daniella3d
01-03-2011, 03:58 AM
That's a bit what I am afraid of. I remember that with my discus they would become extremely skittish and stop eating for sometimes 2 to 3 weeks, even when the treatment was over. So with the butterfly wich is already a bit on the skinny side, that is scary.

So I will fatten him up for another week and do the treatment after he's nice and fat. I feed it about 10 times per day and he eats each time so should not take too long.

Tonight he seemed not too bad, breathing slower but he still twitch and dash for no apparent reason as if something is biting him. I looked at him with a magnifying glass but could not see anything.

What about Seachem Paraguard? will that kill flukes? fish seem to tolerate this quite well, at least it worked well for my triggerfish with popeye and it did not stop the fish appetite.

What you might want to consider (now and in the future) is that many fish will stop eating for a while after prazi. So you may want to get the new fish eating first, before you treat with prazi if the infestation with flukes isn't too bad. With my incoming fish, I try to get them eating my foods first and then after about a week or so, then I'll give them a prazi treatment.

Also, if you're up for trying it, a freshwater dip of 5 - 10 minutes will kill most external parasites, including flukes. This can be 'gentler' - I did this with a Potter's angelfish instead of an initial prazi treatment since it wasn't eating well yet. Just make sure to match your tank temp and pH and aerate well when doing the dip and keep and eye on the fish during the whole dip, and remove the fish if it's showing signs of a lot of stress.

Delphinus
01-03-2011, 04:19 AM
FWIW, praziquantel didn't seem to affect the apetite of any of my fish when I treated my tank. Not that I noticed anyhow.

shrimpchips
01-03-2011, 07:16 AM
You can also try a cleaner shrimp to see if it will help to alleviate the flukes - certainly helped for the potters when it was in qt. I wouldn't use a cleaner fish, as they're just another fish to qt, and they're not terribly long lived in captivity either.

daniella3d
01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
That's a good idea because he seem to go near my peppermint in hope of being cleaned by it but the peppermint is not really keen on cleaning the fish and just move away.

Although I am not sure it's going to do the job 100% if there are some flukes on the gills. I looked very hard with a magnifying glass but could not see any flukes. Maybe it,s ich on his gills? When I first got it the fish had one white spot on a fin but that was gone the day after, so not sure what it is at this point. There is no white spots on the fish since that so not sure if that white spot I saw was just a little pimple from being cought in a net.

He's breathing faster in the morning and better in the evening so maybe the micro algae in my aquarium are producing lots of oxygen in the day time and at night it is much lover. I have the pump spraying upward to the surface and I have put a skimmer to help this so I will see.

yesterday he had quite a few episodes of sudden dashing and shaking but he's not scraching or flashing on the rock. He's starting to realise that my pipette is the food source as he now come to the pipette for food and almost eat from it. Still has a good appetite so I want to fatten him up before I treat for parasites.

What I am not sure is weather to go with paraguard or prazi. I don't have access to praziquantal, just prazipro and prazipro is a hit or miss with flukes (was with my discus anyway) as it is too weak. Paraquard treat for flukes and ich. prazi treat for flukes and some internal worms, but does nothing for ich.

hmmm...

You can also try a cleaner shrimp to see if it will help to alleviate the flukes - certainly helped for the potters when it was in qt. I wouldn't use a cleaner fish, as they're just another fish to qt, and they're not terribly long lived in captivity either.

Myka
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
If you keep feeding it and you find it isn't fattening up, consider cyanide poisoning. A Methylene Blue dip can help to alleviate symptoms of cyanide poisoning.

daniella3d
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
that's interesting because methylene blue is a antipoison for cyanide in human.

but I am wondering if a fish is poisoned by cyanide if there is actualy some cyanide remaining in its system weeks later. I thought that what was left after cyanide poisoning was liver or kidney dammage and that cyanide itself was gone?

I have that fish for 4 days only.

If you keep feeding it and you find it isn't fattening up, consider cyanide poisoning. A Methylene Blue dip can help to alleviate symptoms of cyanide poisoning.

bvlester
01-04-2011, 05:47 AM

but I am wondering if a fish is poisoned by cyanide if there is actualy some cyanide remaining in its system weeks later. I thought that what was left after cyanide poisoning was liver or kidney dammage and that cyanide itself was gone?

common signs of cyanide poisoning:
will eat good but over time become none interested in food.
will become lethargic and will not respond as much to stimulation.
IE: show no interest in you when you are close to the tank just kind of hangs out further back in the tank. I have bisected many fish that were collected using cyanide poisoning; I find that the liver is usually bleeding and kiddies are enlarged. Head shaking is not a sign of cyanide poisoning, aimlessly wandering around the tank is..

head shaking red gills inflamed areas on the sides are signs of flukes. I would have to say flukes and Prazi-pro is your best bet. I treat all new fish when acclimating them with prazi-pro. Flukes can be white or a black color depending on the type, some flukes are species specific. I would treat the whole tank, I personally have not lost anything when I had to treat my whole tank my Nem shrunk a bit but that was all.

Yes methanol blue is a poison treatment but by the time we get these fish there is not much we can do for them if they have been collected with cyanide poisoning. We can treat them and prolong their life but that is all, if they have stated to show the signs of cyanide poisoning it been to long of the little guys.

Myka
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Where do you think us smrt fishy pple got the idea? :p

You gotta catch them pretty fast as far as I know, but there aren't many studies on ornamental marine fish so most of our methods are anecdotal at best. Personally, a fish like a CBB which is known to often still be caught with cyanide I would have dipped in MB during acclimation just as a precaution. MB is quite gentle on them, so I see it causing no further stress or harm. More of an anti-stress dip in my experience.

daniella3d
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
I surely hope it's not been cought with cyanide. He does not have the sympthoms of it, just head shaking and darting a bit and a little fast breathing but appetite is good and he's fattening up I think.

I ordered some prazipro and metylene blue and will give him a treatment with prazi in my QT and a dip in methylene blue before that. It's been setup today for this purpose. I don't have to treat my frag tank as it is independant of any other aquarium and any parasite in there will surely die as this aquarium usualy has no fish for months.

I will try a dip in fresh water and methylene blue before I transfer him in the QT for the prazi treatment. I am not sure about treating prazi in my main tank because I have some delicate coral in there like a blue sponge and a non-photosynthetic gorgonian and some expensive zoanthids.

Today the fish seem quite a bit better, breathing better and still with good appetite.

Where do you think us smrt fishy pple got the idea? :p

You gotta catch them pretty fast as far as I know, but there aren't many studies on ornamental marine fish so most of our methods are anecdotal at best. Personally, a fish like a CBB which is known to often still be caught with cyanide I would have dipped in MB during acclimation just as a precaution. MB is quite gentle on them, so I see it causing no further stress or harm. More of an anti-stress dip in my experience.

Myka
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I will try a dip in fresh water and methylene blue before I transfer him in the QT for the prazi treatment.

I would observe for at least 24 hours after the FW&MB dip before starting the Prazi treatment. FW&MB is certainly stressful, SW&MB isn't.

Oh, and just to state the obvious in case it isn't obvious...Methylene Blue stains anything it touches pretty much, meaning clothes, skin, silicone, many plastics. I always put on "fish clothes", wear gloves, use a glass beaker for dipping, and a disposable plastic knife to stir up the dip.

daniella3d
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
what would a saltwater and methylene blue achieve? Just releave stress or would it have some effect on fluke or parasites?

I would think that any dip would be stressfull for the fish so might as well make it worth it?

The fish seem to be breathing pretty close to normal today, so that's good. Still twitching the head on regular basis though and darting here and there.

I would observe for at least 24 hours after the FW&MB dip before starting the Prazi treatment. FW&MB is certainly stressful, SW&MB isn't.

Oh, and just to state the obvious in case it isn't obvious...Methylene Blue stains anything it touches pretty much, meaning clothes, skin, silicone, many plastics. I always put on "fish clothes", wear gloves, use a glass beaker for dipping, and a disposable plastic knife to stir up the dip.

Myka
01-04-2011, 09:18 PM
MB will affect parasites and flukes on its own accord. I usually just dip them using SW&MB when doing it prophylactically, but anytime I do decide to do a fw dip I always add MB. In your case, since there is some sort of issue I would do FW&MB, but give him at least a 24 hour rest before starting Prazi. If he looks good after 24 hours, start Prazi. If he looks bad, decide from there whether to give him a bit more time or whether time will only make things worse. Educated guess is about all we have for most diseases/parasites.

daniella3d
01-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Ok thanks, I will do that.

If he looks good after 24 hours, start Prazi. If he looks bad, decide from there whether to give him a bit more time or whether time will only make things worse. Educated guess is about all we have for most diseases/parasites.

daniella3d
01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I treated the tank with prazipro yesterday. none of the flatworms in the tank are affected one bit. They are all over the glass as if nothing was in the tank.

Either prazipro does not affect aquarium flatworms or this prazi (brand new) is not good any longer (unlikely).

If it does kill flatworms, it takes longer than a day to do so. My bristle stars and bristle worms are not affected as well as my spagetti worms.

Delphinus
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
That's interesting about the flatworms not being affected. When I did praziquantel I bought both Prazipro and Praztastic but only used the Praztastic, which is I think more concentrated so it could be that it takes longer with Prazipro. I did not have the red flatworms or the smaller clear ones, or at least, none that I knew of, but I did notice weird flat worm looking things coming out of the rock and floating off into the current, so I figured it did have an effect.

I intended on doing a second treatment because the tang was so badly "infected" but after about a week I did start to notice improvements .. so elected to hold off on the second treatment and only do so if really necessary - but it never proved to be necessary.

I had major amounts of green slime algae form on the glass shortly after treatment that lasted until well after the treatment stopped so I was all too happy not to do that second treatment.

So my advice is to keep watching for now, it might take a few more days. Hopefully that's all it is. Good luck!

Myka
01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Prazi won't hurt flatworms or starfish ime.

daniella3d
01-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Ha ok. I was wondering because I had read of some people were advised to use prazipro for flatworms instead of flatworm exit.

The fish seem to be breathing much slower now. Still eating but much less so I guess it's because of the medication. Good thing I waited until he was really fat.

Myka
01-14-2011, 07:46 PM
I think scientifically flatworms aren't actually worms which is why they won't be harmed by Prazi, but don't quote me on that. :p

Sounds like you're taking the right steps, and they are working for you. Right on! :)

fiorano
01-15-2011, 05:45 AM
i've had a copperband for over 2 years now. and he twitches his head frantically every time i walk by the tank. i've by now guaranteed myself its just because he wants food and is excited. mainly because he makes eye contact and twitches more when i walk from the freezer to the tank ha ha, could it maybe just be something as simple as that?

daniella3d
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Mine was also breathing fast and darting, shaking its fins etc..

I am pretty sure he had flukes because he was breathing quite a bit faster than normal and that's better now. I know the twitching can be nervous too, but the fast breathing when the fish is not stressed is wierd.

i've had a copperband for over 2 years now. and he twitches his head frantically every time i walk by the tank. i've by now guaranteed myself its just because he wants food and is excited. mainly because he makes eye contact and twitches more when i walk from the freezer to the tank ha ha, could it maybe just be something as simple as that?

daniella3d
01-18-2011, 04:09 AM
Should I do 2 treatments with prazipro or just one is enough? I was planning to put the fish in my display tank this week. Been treating with prazipro for 5 days and was planning to do 7 days. Is that enough?

should I do 5 days, wait 5 days and do another treatment in 5 days? to cover the full fluke cycle?

Delphinus
01-18-2011, 04:18 AM
If it was me in your situation I think I would only consider doing the second treatment if I could see that there were still symptoms.

daniella3d
01-19-2011, 04:03 AM
The fish seem fine and eats like a little pig so appetite is back.

he also seem to be getting tired of that little 21 gallons tank so I guess tomorrow it's going in the main tank. I don't like to see it rub its nose all over the glass trying to get out. I think the tank is too small.

I don't see it twitching any longer but he seem a bit more skittish which I assume is due to the Prazipro. It was always making my freshwater fish very skittish for a few weeks.

If it was me in your situation I think I would only consider doing the second treatment if I could see that there were still symptoms.

bvlester
01-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Prazi won't hurt flatworms or starfish ime.
Hi just reading through this thread again but Prazi-pro and praziquantel are two different medications. praziquantel does have Prazi in it but it also contains another medication I can not think of it off the top of my head too many things running around in there right now. so yes Prazi-pro normally does not affect flat worms but it can in high doses the bottle advises it treats:"flukes, tapeworms, flatworms, turbellarians." this comes right off the bottle. You may have to use a double dose for flat worms I don't know as I have never had them and never treated for them. I had a fish come in and after QT and was in the tank the fish started showing signs of flukes. I get mine out of the USA in 4 oz bottles so I don't order often only once in 1.5 years I got extra for a couple other people. and I still say it was flukes..

Bill

daniella3d
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
No, prazipro does not contain anything else except a solvant. It is praziquantal in a liquid form, already dissolved and ready to use. I have read that some people say it containt metronidazole but I have no idea where they got this.

It's not that it will kill the flatworms in high dose, but rather that it kill certain type of flatworms and not others and the others that it does not kill are those pests in our aquarium. I would rather use flatworm exit instead if needed :)

The problem that remain with my copperband is that he's breathing quite fast in the morning and that changes during the day, then he start to breath slowly and normaly by mid day. Maybe there is just a lack of oxygen in my tank during the night because I shut off my skimmer to let the fish sleep? or maybe he's just spooked when the light turn on? I would imagine that if this was flukes it would be breathing fast all day, not just in the morning?

Hi just reading through this thread again but Prazi-pro and praziquantel are two different medications. praziquantel does have Prazi in it but it also contains another medication I can not think of it off the top of my head too many things running around in there right now. so yes Prazi-pro normally does not affect flat worms but it can in high doses the bottle advises it treats:"flukes, tapeworms, flatworms, turbellarians." this comes right off the bottle. You may have to use a double dose for flat worms I don't know as I have never had them and never treated for them. I had a fish come in and after QT and was in the tank the fish started showing signs of flukes. I get mine out of the USA in 4 oz bottles so I don't order often only once in 1.5 years I got extra for a couple other people. and I still say it was flukes..

Bill

Delphinus
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Bill, did you maybe mean Praztastic has a second ingredient besides praziquantel?

daniella3d
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Ok I dosed again because it's the second time this week that I see my copperband breathing from only one gill and the other gill is closed and not moving. That was a clear sign of flukes with my discus, so I am guessing that breathing from only one gill is also a sign with saltwater fish?

I don't see how a second treatment will do harm since it went really well the first time and I will be safe that it will take care of what ever could be left.

I am going to wait 2 days and transfer the fish after that. Guess that will be about 10 days treatment with prazipro.

daniella3d
01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
I put the copperband in the main tank this evening because his breathing was nice and slow and wow, within 2 minutes he started to roam the aquarium picking at the feather dusters all over. I thought he would be shy but no, he's all over the place. The best part is that nobody even pay attention to him, so he's doing his little thing in peace. So far so good :)

Lance
01-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Good news! Enjoy him.

bvlester
01-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I know prazi-pro has a solvent but praziquantal is suppose to contain some thing else, metronidazole does sound familiar but I am not sure what the extra substance is. After doing some surching if you get the praziquantel for humans then it has no other medications in it but aparently the praziquantel for dogs does. this drug treats for worms and flukes. Flukes will retract during the day when exposed to bright light the little buggers can retract under scales of a fish. If you don't see them on the scales yet then your fish should be savable. flukes can be species specific so if you are lucky that is the type you have so they will not spread to your other fish. The fish that brought them into my tank was an angle and it spread to my clowns and none of the other fish.

No, prazipro does not contain anything else except a solvant. It is praziquantal in a liquid form, already dissolved and ready to use. I have read that some people say it containt metronidazole but I have no idea where they got this.

It's not that it will kill the flatworms in high dose, but rather that it kill certain type of flatworms and not others and the others that it does not kill are those pests in our aquarium. I would rather use flatworm exit instead if needed :)

The problem that remain with my copperband is that he's breathing quite fast in the morning and that changes during the day, then he start to breath slowly and normaly by mid day. Maybe there is just a lack of oxygen in my tank during the night because I shut off my skimmer to let the fish sleep? or maybe he's just spooked when the light turn on? I would imagine that if this was flukes it would be breathing fast all day, not just in the morning?

bvlester
01-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Bill, did you maybe mean Praztastic has a second ingredient besides praziquantel?

yes that was it I think, but dog medication for tape worms have 2 ingredients there are a few other med's that have praziquatel and another ingredient in it, so no one is wrong in this instants. and yes it can affect flat worms I believe it depends on the dose you use as Prazi pro is quite diluted in comparison to praziquatel when mixed up.

Bill

daniella3d
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Praziquantal is praziquantal, it is a pure medicine just like metronidazole (for protozoares). Prazipro contain praziquantal and a solvant, nothing else that I am aware of. It would be nice if you could find the reference about dog praziquantal containing something else and what is that something else. Praziquantal itself does kill flukes and some type of flatworms, not just flukes.

I don't think he's got flukes anylonger. I am not even sure it was fluke because I have not seen any. Today his breathing is nice and slow but he has not eaten the mysis and white worms yet...he's too full of feather dusters. I will try to offer the fish some fresh mussle as well.

I know prazi-pro has a solvent but praziquantal is suppose to contain some thing else, metronidazole does sound familiar but I am not sure what the extra substance is. After doing some surching if you get the praziquantel for humans then it has no other medications in it but aparently the praziquantel for dogs does.

daniella3d
01-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Ok I am a bit tired of this. The copperband was ok after 2 prazipro treatments but now it's started doing the same thing again. He's breathing fast from one gill and the other gill is closed and not moving.

UPDATE: Today he's ok, breathing normally. Not sure what to think of this but since he's eating well and he's fat, I guess I should not worry. I bought a cleaner shrimp today and will give him a new friend. Hopefull that will help if there are still some parasites. Anyone seen this behavior with one closed gill and breathing only from only one gill? One of the gill move and breath and the other is not moving at all and it is closed shut.