PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef CS8-3 owners?

Aquattro
01-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Anyone got one of these with the gate valve mod?

PoonTang
01-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Anyone got one of these with the gate valve mod?

I think Christy has one. I know hers has the gate mod and I also have her 6-2 here with the gate mod. I am not really sure the mod is worth it as it is very costly and takes up alot of space for the simple reason of fine tuning. I think you can run them just as well without the gate.

christyf5
01-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I think Christy has one. I know hers has the gate mod and I also have her 6-2 here with the gate mod. I am not really sure the mod is worth it as it is very costly and takes up alot of space for the simple reason of fine tuning. I think you can run them just as well without the gate.

I disagree, the 6-2 mod is "nothing" without the gate mod. Not to say its a POS but I would definitely say its less efficient without it. You didn't see it "out of the box". The pipe they provide with it, originally, disallows for any kind of fluctuation in sump level (not daily levels but when you accidentally over topup after a water change, my sump has a different level every time I do a waterchange, mostly because I'm lazy).

Brad, what size of pipe do you have for your 8-3? Does it have one or two outflows? If its got 1.5" pipe on it I can bring down my gate valve mod and you can try it out if you like :biggrin:

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 06:34 AM
If its got 1.5" pipe on it I can bring down my gate valve mod and you can try it out if you like :biggrin:

No, the issue is I have the gate valve mod, but I didn't install it. I think it sits too high on the drain stack, as I can't run both pumps without it overflowing the skimmer. So I'm wondering what height works for people using it. Somehow I need to cut it apart, put the valve in lower and remove the bulky union coupling under it.

If you can get a clear pic of yours, that would be perfect.

christyf5
01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll get a pic later on today. my understanding is that the level of the gate valve should be lower than the water level you want in the skimmer, that way you can control it to get wetter or drier skimmate. I don't think my gate valve on the rs250 is in the right spot as the valve is wide open all the time and generally ineffective, although the skimmer definitely gets the job done. I've been meaning to relocate it but its on the list of things that never get done.

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Anxious to see a pic. I just looked at your CS6-2 pic and the drain T is pretty much the same height mine is at. However, my skimmer runs 2 pumps, and it's too high. With gate wide open, it still overflows in seconds. When I bought it, both pumps had bullet type plugs in the intakes to reduce water flow, which kind reduces the effectiveness of running 2 pumps :)

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Finally fixed my skimmer :) After boiling all the parts to get them apart, I was able to lower the gate valve 5 inches and can now run both pumps properly. I was happy before with one pump, but now it's solid white inside.

Skimmerking
01-04-2011, 02:43 AM
glad that it all worked out for you Brad funny thou I had the same skimmer and ran 2 pumps no problems

christyf5
01-04-2011, 02:45 AM
so no pics needed then? sorry i've been attached to the kidlet pretty much all day

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 03:16 AM
so no pics needed then? sorry i've been attached to the kidlet pretty much all day

no, I figured put the valve as low as I could, and control the level as usual. worked well. kidlet and I are now kickin' back watching the sludge pour into the cup :)

christyf5
01-04-2011, 03:27 AM
no, I figured put the valve as low as I could, and control the level as usual. worked well. kidlet and I are now kickin' back watching the sludge pour into the cup :)

sweet! :mrgreen: