PDA

View Full Version : Is your MgCl retaining lots of moisture?

bkelly
01-02-2011, 01:56 AM
My 1/4 full 5 gal pail of MgCl is nearly slush at the bottom and im wondering if this is throwing my dosage amount off by weighing . I have silica gel packs in the pail but ive not seen it this wet before, im in the okanagan and its fairly dry out right now. Is anyones MgCl this wet right now and do you think the weight is effected (or is the moist MgCl not water retention but liquid MgCl if thats possible?)
Thanks for any input

Skimmerking
01-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Yes mine did it too its the mag and CAL

Myka
01-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Ya my Mg does that real bad too..like slush. Calcium just clumps on me, doesn't seem to affect weights. I measure Mg by volume because of this.

christyf5
01-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Oddly enough I've never had that problem. I store small amounts in a rubbermaid container with a really good seal on it but the bulk of it is just in the garbage bag it arrived in via ChemMaster. I guess I'm good at tying the knot in the top of the bag :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-02-2011, 03:52 AM
I keep my Mg in a sealed bag (the one LittleSilverMax ships it in) and then inside a sealed bucket, and still the bottom is one slushy wet mess after a little while.

lastlight
01-02-2011, 04:19 AM
My BRS containers seal tight. So far haven't noticed this.

hillegom
01-02-2011, 05:05 AM
I have mine just in a pail. Seal must be good, because it is not absorbing any water at all

ALang
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
OK, I'd better get mine into a sealed bucket right away, then, so as not to have them turn into slush. Right now they are inside the plastic bags that he sent them in, on the floor, as I have no idea what to do with that large an amount.
I need to go get some rubbermaid totes.

Myka
01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
My BRS containers seal tight. So far haven't noticed this.

That's what I have right now, and it's a slushy mess after only being open a month or so, and the stuff I got from ChemMaster was the same.

I find the Fauna Marin gets damp, but not slushy like the "raw" chemicals (like ChemMaster or BRS). Maybe they add something to it? If so, I wonder what:question:

bkelly
01-02-2011, 04:34 PM
my MgSo4 is fine its a bigger crystal than the MgCl maybe the Fauna Marine is a made up recipe with both, perhaps that helps keep it dry, think the ratio is 5:3. My MgCl is in an old IO bucket which has a gasket that i hammer shut, the bucket is 3/4 empty now that its a pile of slush , maybe all that extra air in there is allowing it to suck so much moisture, i think ill put it in a plastic bag then into the sealed bucket next batch.

hillegom
01-03-2011, 01:13 AM
my MgSo4 is fine its a bigger crystal than the MgCl maybe the Fauna Marine is a made up recipe with both, perhaps that helps keep it dry, think the ratio is 5:3. My MgCl is in an old IO bucket which has a gasket that i hammer shut, the bucket is 3/4 empty now that its a pile of slush , maybe all that extra air in there is allowing it to suck so much moisture, i think ill put it in a plastic bag then into the sealed bucket next batch.

I would check the gasket on that bucket. Salts are hygroscopic. (I think thats the word, absorbing water.) The air in the bucket cannot hold that much water to create slush. Try and find another bucket. However, its too late to save the crystals. But it would stop more water from being absorbed.

Myka
01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
my MgSo4 is fine its a bigger crystal than the MgCl maybe the Fauna Marine is a made up recipe with both, perhaps that helps keep it dry, think the ratio is 5:3.

Fauna Marin sells MgSO4 and MgCl separately. I mix MgCl 8 parts to MgSO4 (drug store bought) 1 part.

bkelly
01-03-2011, 03:34 AM
I would check the gasket on that bucket. Salts are hygroscopic. (I think thats the word, absorbing water.) The air in the bucket cannot hold that much water to create slush. Try and find another bucket. However, its too late to save the crystals. But it would stop more water from being absorbed.
good point i changed buckets, would it be better to do my 2 part by volume for this slushy stuff?

hillegom
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
good point i changed buckets, would it be better to do my 2 part by volume for this slushy stuff?

I have never done that so hopefully someone who has can chime in

Delphinus
03-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Something I just noticed. I switched to BRS mag recently after finally running out of my last Chemmaster magnesium. BRS sells the mag separately: one container for Magnesium chloride, another for Magnesium sulfate. I always just bought the premixed stuff since it was easier that way.

Anyhow right now the BRS stuff in the separate containers is still dry, but the stuff I premixed (for the sake of convenience into a separate container) is now all wet and slushy-like (if it was snow it would be perfect snowball/snowman making consistency).

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I keep mine in a huge pickle jars , no problem yet. I think when the 2 chemicals are mixed this creates a reaction that makes it absorb moisture from the air.

Skimmerking
03-08-2011, 02:33 AM
yes that is it BINGO we have a winner:mrgreen:

The Grizz
03-08-2011, 02:50 AM
yes that is it BINGO we have a winner:mrgreen:

Cool what do I win :biggrin: