PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe additions

SpateD
01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions of smaller fish to fit into my 30 gallon reef tank. I'm not really interested in any damsels.. I love wrasses though, so if anyone has any pictures or names of some really colourful fish that are great addictions, please feel free to share. I'd love some fish that are blue in colour and hopefully reasonable in price.

Wayne
01-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Green chromis (don't be fooled by the name they are blue in color)

Fairy wrasse's are really colorful and would be a nice addition

Clowns are also a nice colors that are easy to keep and are a swimming fish.

AquaticFinatic
01-02-2011, 01:12 AM
there's some really nice clown goby's should try them.

SpateD
01-02-2011, 01:21 AM
I do have a clown, I'm thinking about getting 3 blue-green Chromis, to add for more movement in the tank as my clown stays on 1 side of the tank. I also have a yellow corris wrasse who says in the lower water column. Definitely looking for colourful swimming fish. I'm going to try and get a leopard wrasse.

One question I have is what site can I go to to see all the fairy wrasses to choose from? Some sites only show a couple of the hundreds of different designs. I'd like to know for sure what kind I'm getting when I put in the order.

outacontrol
01-02-2011, 01:48 AM
An excellent site to see many different fish and a little info about each is: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

I think your yellow wrasse is a little bit too big for a 30 gallon tank, and probably not reef safe. The leopard wrasse is also too big for your tank.

SpateD
01-02-2011, 03:10 AM
Well my Yellow Coris is definitely reef safe, he's been in my system for over 5 months and is only about 2" long. With his tail fin making him longer than my clown. He hasn't grown either. I plan on getting a Leopard Wrasse about the same size as him. As it takes time for them to out grow the tank, and I have plans to upgrade.

viperfish
01-02-2011, 03:35 AM
Another reef safe and very colourful fish for a 30 Gal is a Royal Gramma, another option is an Orchid Dottyback. A Personal fav of mine is a Pistol Shrimp/Watchman Goby pair, they are a very cool addition to a small tank.