PDA

View Full Version : raising my own shrimp question

kuatto
12-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Has anyone ever tried to raise shrimp in large groups?Is it worth the effert and what types are best suited for this?Was thinking I might setup something specifically for shrimp and offer up for trade any of the offspring,any thoughts?
Got to thinking back when i had fresh with crayfish caught locally(had 20 adults)that bred for me quite readly.(just another one of my crazy ideas :mrgreen: )

Jim

Quinn
12-20-2003, 09:57 PM
It is possible to do peppermint shrimp, there is some info on the Breeder's Registry. No one has ever done cleaner shrimp other than the Wakiki Aquarium as I recall. Very difficult.

TNTCanada
12-20-2003, 10:00 PM
I wish I could bread my cleaners they always have eggs. I was told they are pretty much impossible to bread. :drinking:

Quinn
12-20-2003, 10:04 PM
No problem getting them to spawn, nearly impossible to raise the fry.

zulu_principle
12-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Actually Quinn, cleaner shrimp are not as difficult as you think.

Check through many of the treads on RC, etc. and you should find many that have been successful.

I have been somewhat successful (63 days), but didnt have the space or resources to continue the project.

Wendell

TNTCanada
12-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Has there been any info on what they need to be raised

Quinn
12-20-2003, 11:05 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2197843&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending&pagenumber=1

I did a search and found that there is a lot of hearsay and speculation but no one that I saw asserted that they had in fact raised the young to adulthood. This seems to be the main hurdle. Do you have a link to someone who actually did get that far?

Regardless, it seems a lot more difficult than, say, clownfish. The clownfish and anemone forum is full of success stories with photographic proof.

kuatto
12-21-2003, 12:30 AM
I figure I'll get a couple of pairs of peppermint shrimp(because they're cheap) and put them in the 33(nothing in there that would hurt them,plus its established with good liverock and sugar sand)if all works out,then I'll set up another 30gal.
Have to do more research on raising past lavae stage through adult.

Jim

zulu_principle
12-21-2003, 01:41 AM
On peppermint shrimp there is a good book called "How to raise & train your peppermint shrimp" author April Kirkendoll.

Here is an article that I used when I setup my cleaner shrimp stuff.

http://www.reefsuk.com/CaptiveBreeding/Articles/BreedingScarletCleanerShrimp.html

Wendell

kuatto
12-21-2003, 01:51 AM
just finished reading it,lots of good info,using basic setup

TNTCanada
12-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that info i'm going to have to set somthing up and see what I can do and how far I can get them.

kuatto
12-21-2003, 08:54 PM
hey TNT,noticed under you list of equipment and livestock you have a blue lobster,how are they to care for ?any pics?

Jim

TNTCanada
12-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Nothing to it they eat anything and everything. I was told they will get realy big and could knock things around and can catch small moving fish so far its gets along with everything. I do have some pics not to good though I'll try to figure out how to post it
Cheers

Bob I
12-22-2003, 12:48 AM
I wish I could bread my cleaners they always have eggs. I was told they are pretty much impossible to bread. :drinking:

I will probably get in trouble for this, but I could not resist.

Breading shrimp is not difficult. All you need is some batter, and breadcrumbs. :BIG:

EmilyB
12-22-2003, 03:12 AM
It was out there. Someone had to do it.... :razz:

TNTCanada
12-22-2003, 05:23 AM
Sure make fun of my spelling as Homer Simpson says " I am so smart, s-m-r-t" :mrgreen: