PDA

View Full Version : Need input on overflow hole size

Islander
06-02-2002, 02:24 PM
I am going to drill 2 holes for my 90 gallon tank. The hole is going to be at the bottom of both corner. Need some advice on the hole size, bulkhead, and pvc pipe. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Troy F
06-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Ken, go for 1.5" bulkheads for your drain. The hole drilled needs to be 2 3/8" but double check that with the bulkheads you plan on using. If one of the holes you are doing is for the return then you may want a smaller bulkhead depending on your return pump.

StirCrazy
06-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Ken, I strongly recommend that you buy the actual bulkheads you are going to use first then take the size you need directly off them. I made the mistake of listening to people who said "all bulkheads are standard size" well they are not.

I bought 1.5" bulkheads from a plumbing supply and the hole they use is bigger than the one Seastar uses.

I got lucky as I had my tank made with the holes so Seastar threw in the bulkheads I needed and I was able to return the ones I had bought...

If I would have had a local glass shop cut the holes I would have been running around trying to find the right ones.

Steve

CHEAPREEF
06-03-2002, 04:20 AM
I agree with the guys above, 1.5" for size. And unless you get a LFS to drill the holes make sure you have the bulkheads in your hand for the glass shop. I just droped it off at the LFS and got my bulkheads and holes drilled, no hassle.

Clinton

Islander
06-03-2002, 04:24 AM
Thanks for all the reply.
Hey Steve, Do you know any place in victoria I can buy the 1 1/2 inch bulkhead and pvc pipe?

Cheers,
Ken

Aquattro
06-03-2002, 05:01 AM
Ken, where are you getting the holes drilled? Seastar can supply the bulkheads for you. If you're going to Glass Smith, they have a limited number of hole saws available, so you want to triple check before drilling anything.

StirCrazy
06-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Ken, Call up Seastar and ask what it would cost to get your tank drilled and a 1.5" bulkhead put on. I just did this for my 2 little tanks as no one in town has a hole saw bigenuf for a 1.5" bulkhead. Brad mentioned the "glass smith" they were talking about getting some bigger ones but last time I checked they still had not gotten them in, but give them a call and ask if they have any holesaw sizes over 2".

hope that helped.

Steve

Troy F
06-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Seastar could also drill the holes couldn't they? Or would they? Ken, I don't know when you plan on doing this or how often you get over but I have quite a bit of 1 1/2" fittings and sched 40 pipe left over from my plumbing.

DJ88
06-03-2002, 12:49 PM
Did somebody say 1.5" PVC? loads here too. If you are going that route.

Troy F
06-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Nope. You're reading things.

DJ88
06-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Hmm So I am reading things..

Well anyways.. :D

Ken,

If you decide to use any 1.5" PVC Fittings let Troy and I know. We have enough to plumb a small nation I think. ;)

Islander
06-04-2002, 12:21 AM
I am not in a big hurry to have my tank drill. Sounds like you guys have all the stuff I needed. hmm... too bad I can't make it to the next meeting, otherwise I can buy it off you guys.

Steve, Do you have to go through LFS to have you holes drilled from seastar?

Thanks,
Ken

StirCrazy
06-04-2002, 12:32 AM
Ken, look them up in the yellow pages and play stupid, that what I did, and Brad says I am good at it... hey wait a minuit... :D :D

Seriously thought call them up and ask if they can drill tanks ect... Play stupid like you didn't know you had to go through a LFS and there should be no problem.

Steve