PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty in the reef?

paddyob
12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
So I have heard a lot a people keep Coral Beauty Angels without any issues of coral damage.

Just looking to see probability of losing coral.

Who is keeping one, and have you had any problems?

mws
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Mine is reef safe, plus it eats algae of the class.

Dez
12-30-2010, 05:46 PM
I've had one from the beginning. All good for me.

Ross
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I have one. Aside from eating 1 frag of bright orange zoas its been reef safe.

paddyob
12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Well I am gonna try my luck. Thanks for the input. 3 replies.... no horror stories... yet.

globaldesigns
12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
I have a Potter's and a Flame, all good for me.

Remember that they are NOT necessarily reef safe, so they can start picking at anytime. It is a gamble, but if you get one that is safe, then great. Coral Beauties are a beautiful fish.

I got a Potters to be different as everyone gets the Coral's, take a peak at these they are a beautiful fish also.

paddyob
12-30-2010, 06:28 PM
I did consider a Potters but I think they have a higher probability of eating corals.... from what I have read.

I know that its a gamble.... I am just hoping for the best. Want to add something nice to the tank that my six line can't hassle.

fishytime
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
angels are angels.....complete crap-shoot when it comes to them.....as Rick said, you can have one in a reef for years and then all of a sudden they will start picking for whatever reason......that being said, I had a flame and a bi-color in V1 with no issues.... I thought that the bi-color was eating my acans so I caught him out and sold him.....turns out it was my reagal tang that was eating the acans:doh:.... I now have a deepwater coral beaty in V2 and so far so good.....you pay your money, you takes your chances:wink:

nlreefguy
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I have had one in every reef tank I've ever set up (10 or more) and had no problems with them eating corals.

intarsiabox
12-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I had one in my previous tank and he left everything alone. I had LPS, softies, zoas and a couple of SPS and none of it was touched. I have read of the odd one eating every coral in site but maybe it wasn't well fed or it was just doing what some angels do. They are beautiful fish however.

paddyob
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I picked up a very nice specimen from Blue World today.

Shannon was nice enough to give me a little discount as I was away during the sale last week.

DCDN
12-31-2010, 01:30 AM
I just purchased one today also. Figured I'd heard enough that Id take a chance

The Grizz
12-31-2010, 02:58 AM
I picked up a very nice specimen from Blue World today.

Shannon was nice enough to give me a little discount as I was away during the sale last week.

Did you get the beauty Patrick?

paddyob
12-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Did you get the beauty Patrick?

Yea I did. After much humming and hawing I took the plunge.

But as suspected... my Yellow Tang is not too fond of it. I did a black out acclimation and just turned the lights on about 20 minutes ago. The tang is definitely guarding his area... and really only actively chases or "swipes" at the beauty when it gets too close or goes into its cave.

The beauty is fat... and swimming perfectly fine.... BUT it appears that I may have had Ich in my tank because it has a few more white speckles than I feel is good. It had not one spot in the store so it must have been in my tank. I hope the combination of cleaner shrimp/garlic guard clean it up fast.

I am not 100% sure it is ich.... but I would guess it is possible.

Anyone know if Ich can sit in your tank and not bother the other fish? Or was it more than likely on the fish to begin with. None of the other fish have any spots.

intarsiabox
12-31-2010, 05:45 AM
Could be brought on by the stress of being in a new tank and being chased by your tang. I think things will clear up soon after he settles in.

intarsiabox
12-31-2010, 05:46 AM
Why are people up at midnight on a Thursday night talking about fish tanks?:lol:

paddyob
12-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Why are people up at midnight on a Thursday night talking about fish tanks?:lol:

Cause I am not going to talk about the kitchen mess. Ha ha!

I love my tank. :crazyeye:

wingedfish
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone know if Ich can sit in your tank and not bother the other fish? Or was it more than likely on the fish to begin with. None of the other fish have any spots.

No it cannot, if you do indeed have ich, and you have not had it in the months leading up to your new addition, then you introduced it.

There is no dormant stage waiting for stress in fish to attack.

paddyob
12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
No it cannot, if you do indeed have ich, and you have not had it in the months leading up to your new addition, then you introduced it.

There is no dormant stage waiting for stress in fish to attack.

SO you are saying that it would have come on the new fish? The fish showed no signs at all in the store and then later in the evening i had tons.

I am of course, not even sure it is Ich... but it looks like it.

wingedfish
12-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Assuming it is ich, and assuming that you have added nothing to your tank in the last couple months, then it would be safe to assume that it was imported by your new purchase.

axe_man16
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I was wondering how your coral beauty was doing? Interested if she has started to get a taste of corals.

paddyob
04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I was wondering how your coral beauty was doing? Interested if she has started to get a taste of corals.

She is FANTASTIC!!! By far my favourite fish. I am glad to have added her!

Fat, Sassy and full of gusto! So far she has not touched any corals at all. I do, however, feed my tank well.

I have Lyretail Anthias so I installed a feeder. They get two feedings of NLS pellet and every second day they get mysis.

I don't think, THINK, he has any reason to eat anything else!