PDA

View Full Version : GBTA torn :-(

David Newiger
12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Hello,
Last night I got a nice GBTA from Corey (I forget his screen name). The GBTA was very healthy, and very wedged into the rock. Unfortunately during the removal the poor guy suffered some damage. There is a small tear on his side. I have placed him in a container and floated him in my tank. Should I place him fully in the tank? in the shade or light? I'm really not sure what to do here.:cry:

David.

Delphinus
12-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Put him in the tank. He'll heal, consider that BTA's routinely rip themselves in half and then heal into two separate anemones, they can be surprisingly resilient against injuries. I've seen them go into powerheads and all that was left was 1/4" piece of anemone and it regrew into an anemone. There are two caveats: injuries to the bottom of the pedal disk should be avoided at all cost and if the injury gets a bacterial infection then all bets are off. Ordinarily though, a small tear is not fatal.

soapy
12-31-2010, 04:26 AM
I also gave another member a GBTA that unbeknownst to us was still attached to the side we thought it had split from, so in the process of removing one side we tore it. Both animals healed up nicely.

I would place him in a crack where you want him to take up residence. Hopefully it will stick its foot in the crack or hole and settle down there. It may move a lot or a little until it is happy with its spot.