PDA

View Full Version : Profilux vs Apex

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm thinking of jumping on the controller band wagon, and I'm looking at the Profilux 3 kit or the Apex gear. Anyone have opinions on which is more suited to my needs over the other?
I won't ever use the dosing function, mostly want to control power to lights, control temp with heater and fans, control 2 Tunze streams, time a solenoid for ATO, maybe control pH on my Ca reactor. Not sure what else I would use on either...
The Apex is a bit cheaper, and both have a software interface for PCs, so on unit screen isn't that impartant (I think??)

Thoughts??

christyf5
12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I've been looking at getting a new controller too (cause imma win the lottery soon). Old one isnt broken but a pain in the arse and limited capabilities without spending $$ (ethernet/powerbars, I can buy a new apex system for the price of these) . IMO, the profilux seems wildly overbuilt for what most peioke use it fir and any expansion (extra modules, powerbars) are pricey. The apex seems like a better deal and easier on the wallet, a;though when thay day comes when you buy a dosing pump (and it will :wink:) it wouldnt be integrated into the system (which isnt really a huge problem anyways,

phi delt reefer
12-30-2010, 12:13 PM
I have a brand new RKL that i was going to use but after hearing all the issues with product updates and reliablity/ lacking customer support I am hesitant to get it wet.

I too was thinking profilux or apex. Profilux seems like it will cost me more than all my other tank gear combined but they seem to come out with new add ons quite regularly. Apex is at a standstill for new modules but it looks like your really dont need anything else. I have read that the PRofilux can be tedious to setup and takes a real tech savy user to use. Apex seems more plug and play.

As for dosing pumps... you dont need it to interface with the computer. Just plug one of those Drew's Doser or BRS Two Part dosers to the powerbar and setup timer intervals on the controller. The dose rate on the pumps i mentioned is very accurate so its just up to you to determine time intervals and you are good to go.

MitchM
12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I like the Profilux because I use dosing and it can control my Christmas tree.:smile:

It is more controller than I need now, but I don't feel like my ever changing system will be limited by the controller.

Rus
12-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I recently just purchased an Apex to upgrade from my Aqua 3 controller , to be honest it was mostly for the option to have the display setup remotely , mine will be setup outside the fish-room on the wall by the tank. This way I can glance at the settings without going in the room to check. I will then be using my net book comp. in the fish-room for controls and settings

I like the fact the main unit can be setup out of site from it. I also have a dosing system setup for a while now , but went with the Profilux standalone ( In my opinion this is by far the best , easiest to use and so far most reliable one I have seen )

I also now have an AQ3 for sale as well for a good price.:)

cale262
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
I have an RKL+ on one tank and a RKE on another, I haven't had a single problem with either of them, easy to setup, inexpensive, reliable and great customer support through their BB (www.forum.digitalaquatics.com).

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
a;though when thay day comes when you buy a dosing pump (and it will :wink:) it wouldnt be integrated into the system (which isnt really a huge problem anyways,

Ya, that day is right after I switch from metal halide :) No, I won't go with dosing ever, my reactor has done well for 7 years now, can't see a reason to change.
Other than that, I pretty much agree with your logic!

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
I have an RKL+ on one tank and a RKE on another

Sorry, those are what exactly? I'm new at this -lol

phi delt reefer
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
removed my post - i was de-railing the thread, my bad :(

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Rus - can you control the Tunze adjustable pumps directly with the APEX out of the box or do you need an additional module? This is the selling point for me - i can get mp10es' for $185 US shipped so if i am spending $400-$500 for two pumps and an add on module the APEX isnt as attractive as an option for me.

I was told that the full unit would do this out of the box with a simple additional cable (to control two pumps)

Rus
12-30-2010, 02:59 PM
That is correct Brad. With my AQ3 I had to purchase the aquasurf module to do this.

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
removed my post - i was de-railing the thread, my bad :(

Since I already quoted your post, there wasn't much point :) Besides, it was kinda related to the topic!

phi delt reefer
12-30-2010, 03:17 PM
That is correct Brad. With my AQ3 I had to purchase the aquasurf module to do this.

do you guys know if you throw the korila controllable pumps on the apex controllable output made for the tunze?

tunze pumps are $210 - Koraila is like $30-$50

i am going to guess the answer is no but does anyone know why? any electrical experts know of a work around?

muck
12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry, those are what exactly? I'm new at this -lol

Reef Keeper Lite and Reef Keeper Elite from Digital Aquatics.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

Don't know much about any of the controllers on the market though as Ive never used any of them.

fencer
12-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Hydors are not DC motors and not compatible with APEX as they run 12 volt AC so if you got it going it would ramp 0 to 10 volts. Tunzes and Vortecs are true DC motors. Yes you do have to buy the Apex module for wireless control of your Vortecs. Apex comes with outlets for Tunzes you just need to buy or make the cable. The profilux is an excellent product and fully capable and flexible interms of programming. Alot of the Apex system is carried from the Neptune lines. It is programable at the unit but is better done through their dedicated web server. Programming is striaght forward. Most of the modules are plug and play. It can't change the TV channels for you. I bet you can get the profilux to do it. If cost is your concern then choice is obvious. Support is good in both products.

doch
12-30-2010, 04:00 PM
+1 on the RKE (digital aquatics Reef Keeper Elite) I have one, and I love it!

I had done a little research prior to my purchase, and this is what I found.
Profilux
-Expensive
-Need a decent understanding of programming language to set it up
-WAY more advanced than we need

Between the Apex and the RKE, it came down to price. The RKE is a little cheaper. On top of that, once I got it I found it to be VERY user friendly and easy to set up. Apparently the Apex can be a little more difficult to get the email notifications working and the web stuff running (if you plan on using it). Both of these will do everything that you want them to, and more.

As far as modules and support for the RKE, I have recieved a prompt response from DA every time I've asked, and as mentioned there is a Support forum on their website (similar to canreef... go on, ask a question, do some searching, etc). The only problem that I know of through them is the salinity probe. THey are having troubles getting a new and reliable one put out for a decent price. By the sounds of it, you don't need it, and most people won't.

Don't count the RKE out... I HIGHLY recommend it... FWIW

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't count the RKE out... I HIGHLY recommend it... FWIW

I'll look at that too, hadn't really considered it.

Mrfish55
12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm on the controller fence as well, would like to start traveling and like to have the ability to monitor things while away. I am going to hold off until Vertex releases the Cerebra before I make the final choice, will most likely be a toss up between the Cerebra and Profilux for me.

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
With the limited info on the Vertex, I wonder if it controls non Vertex hardware. So far I've only read that it CAN control Vertex lighting, etc...

I like the Profilux, but for my config, it's almost double the price as the Apex gear...

Mrfish55
12-30-2010, 05:43 PM
With the limited info on the Vertex, I wonder if it controls non Vertex hardware. So far I've only read that it CAN control Vertex lighting, etc...

I like the Profilux, but for my config, it's almost double the price as the Apex gear...

That's why I am going to wait, either the Cerebra does what I want it to or the extra competition on the controller market reduces prices on existing units.

Twinn
12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
I too think the profilux is too expensive. Don't get me wrong I think it is the best controller on the market but by the time you buy all the options and modules you will be over $ 2000 plus invested.

I personally like the Apex over the RKE. The apex allows you to track things over the period of 24 hours. Take ph for example, the apex will show you a graph of you ph levels over the past 24 hours allowing you to see how your ph dips a night. This will allow you to see how your tank changes over the day.

A RKE will only show what ever is on the screen at the moment. I have also heard that the probes on the RKE suck.

As far as set up RKE is the easiest to do and does have great customer service. The APEX doesn't have the best customer service but does have a great forum (can't remember it right now but google it) with great users that can help with any issues.

cwatkins
12-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I just literally setup my new Apex (Lite) yesterday. It's smooth and easy to program and assemble.

I really like the web interface for setup and programming. The programming language is simple, and there are a ton of examples out there to use. The iPhone App is sweet as well. And the display head unit has the best look on the market I think if you're going to have it in an everyday visible area (mine is Velcro'ed to my hood).

I ordered the Lite regular priced for $339 USD as an Xmas present to myself from my wife :)

I will soon be adding the Vortech WXM module ($120) so that I can control my Vortechs. Then I'll be adding another vortech after that.

The Full Apex can control Tunze with the cables I believe. But because I don't use anything variable and have no interest in monitoring ORP, I decided to go for the cheaper Lite version (exact same but missing ORP and variable ports). Hopefully I don't kick myself for not getting variable ports if I ever go LED.

Cheers.

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
That's why I am going to wait, either the Cerebra does what I want it to or the extra competition on the controller market reduces prices on existing units.

Good point. Although the Apex looks like it will do everything I need, now or in the future, and the price is acceptable right now. What I don't like about the Profilux line is that the bottom price is fixed and I can't nag the retailer to give me a better deal :)

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
The Full Apex can control Tunze with the cables I believe. But because I don't use anything variable and have no interest in monitoring ORP, I decided to go for the cheaper Lite version (exact same but missing ORP and variable ports). Hopefully I don't kick myself for not getting variable ports if I ever go LED.

Cheers.

Since I have controllable Streams, I need the full version, although I can then sell my 7095 multi controller and that mostly pays the difference.

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I too think the profilux is too expensive. Don't get me wrong I think it is the best controller on the market but by the time you buy all the options and modules you will be over $ 2000 plus invested.

For my needs, I could get away with the III beginner pack plus an extra power bar, but that still puts me around 1200 bucks. The comparable Apex is just under 700..
Yes, the Profilux may have more features, but I can't imagine ever using them. I just have to make sure I don't short change myself down the road :)

cale262
12-30-2010, 06:04 PM
A RKE will only show what ever is on the screen at the moment. I have also heard that the probes on the RKE suck.

You're mistaken or misinformed...I can check out everything on my RKE. minute by minute for the last week if I want to...everything from graphs of power consumption, PH, temp, ORP, calcium reactor PH etc. etc.

cale262
12-30-2010, 06:06 PM
For my needs, I could get away with the III beginner pack plus an extra power bar, but that still puts me around 1200 bucks. The comparable Apex is just under 700..

Or <$400 for the same options with an RKL+:wink:

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Or <$400 for the same options with an RKL+:wink:

You work for those guys, don't you??? :)

cale262
12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
You're mistaken or misinformed...I can check out everything on my RKE. minute by minute for the last week if I want to...everything from graphs of power consumption, PH, temp, ORP, calcium reactor PH etc. etc.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/cale262/Aquaruims/Salty%20Aquariums/Screenshot2010-12-30at121012PM.png

cale262
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

LOL, no but I am super impressed with their products and services that I've used to date.:wink:

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 06:36 PM
So far, looking at all 3 products, I've decided that they all need to dumb down their product promo material. I'm not an electrical engineer, and mostly still don't know what I need to accomplish x, y & z.
Like why do I need a module that plugs into the Apex which measures pH/ORP when the unit does that out of the box? And a bus is something people ride on, not install on their tanks :P
Use.Simple.Words.

doch
12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Here's a little more reading if you like...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70442

And, yes... the RKE will log everything for a week. Also, the apps for the Droid and iPhone will apparenlty allow for data logging... ie test results, water change schedules, etc.... maybe the Apex apps have that too...? (can't wait to turf my stupid blackberry and get a real phone)

cwatkins
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Here is the de-facto unofficial user guide for the Apex and Apex Lite.

http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex%20New%20User%20Guide.pdf

I find it's simpler and explains more than the official manual, with step-by-steps for everything.

PoonTang
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I too did alot of reasearch before buying the controller. After weighing all things like costs, both initial and upgrades, functionality, support, ease of use etc i decided on the Apex. I use it as a wavemaker with my korillias, doser, automated heating, lighting etc. I also enjoy the remote access from the iPhone and all the automated alerts and alarms. Brad if you want to see one in action you can come see mine and Ill even buy some of your LR from you :)

freezetyle
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a profilux 3 on my reef and an RKL on the seahorse tank. if you want to see either or shoot me a pm and you can swing by

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys! I've seen the Profilux in action at Progressive, and Garreth has invited me over to see his (he's got way too much setup on his :)). But I'm leaning towards the Apex, it looks like it will do all that the Profilux does within the scope of my needs, and is way cheaper. Adding things on later looks cheaper too. I love the shiny blue lights of the Profilux, but not $500 worth -lol

My only hesitation is expandability, as a full scale fishroom might be in my future plans down the road, and I don't want to limit myself. Although, with the Apex, I'm not sure what it's limits are.

For those using the full Apex, what can it NOT do?

cwatkins
12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
For those using the full Apex, what can it NOT do?

I have read that the Apex can run and monitor multiple tanks (I.E. a main display tank and also a frag tank, etc), and you can even setup multiple displays (one per tank, etc). Just keep daisy-chaining your devices together with the USB (a.k.a. AquaBus).

Edit: Regardless of which Controller, as long as it's one of the top 3 (Apex/RKE/Profilux) and has network access, you can add a cool signature (see below) :biggrin::biggrin:

Aquattro
12-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Edit: Regardless of which Controller, as long as it's one of the top 3 (Apex/RKE/Profilux) and has network access, you can add a cool signature (see below) :biggrin::biggrin:

Yes, just read that thread :)

StirCrazy
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I was just looking at the APEX.. for the price thats what I would buy. I like the proflux but think the prices of there products are a rip off.

Apex has internet/email warnings and embedded webpage controle out of the box. but doesn't have pump controls for dosing (the only thing I would want that it doesn't have) but there are stand alone units for stuff like that.

Steve

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I was just looking at the APEX.. for the price thats what I would buy. I like the proflux but think the prices of there products are a rip off.

Apex has internet/email warnings and embedded webpage controle out of the box. but doesn't have pump controls for dosing (the only thing I would want that it doesn't have) but there are stand alone units for stuff like that.

Steve

Ya, I think that's my line of thinking also. And I don't need dosing, so all else being equal, the Profilux is sexier, but not something that would make me pay almost double. :)

cwatkins
12-31-2010, 05:42 PM

For sure the Apex can handle dosing right out of the box. My brand new $339 Apex Lite was dosing just a few minutes ago! You just need to program your Alk and Calc outlets to dose for x minuts using whatever interval you desire.

The trick is that low wattage devices must use the "Relay" ports on the EB8 (which are plugs 4 and 8) instead of using the Triac plugs. An Energy Bar 8 has 6 triac and 2 relay plugs standard. If you use low wattage devices on a triac plug, it may not turn them off correctly, and this is an issue with triac technology not the Apex.

I'm really happy with my Apex so far and I only set it up on Tuesday. I'm about to setup a feed cycle to turn off my return pump and skimmer for 10 minutes while I feed. Additionally it controls my cooling fans based on water temperature.

Happy with it considering how little it cost. :lol:

P.S. I'm using it with two BRS dosers that I bought on Black Friday (and Randy's two-part).

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Happy with it considering how little it cost. :lol:

And we can't forget that cool sig block you have now :)

My research has shown that most people are happy with it regardless of cost, meaning it's not a "it works good for being less expensive" pattern. I think the Apex full unit will do everything I need it to do as well as the Profilux and perhaps with a friendlier programming approach. The support for it seems good with the forum at RC, so really, I think it's a good investment. If the Profilux was the same price, or even 10% more, I might go that route, but mostly for the blue lights. :)

cwatkins
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
If the Profilux was the same price, or even 10% more, I might go that route, but mostly for the blue lights. :)

With the Apex you'll still get a blue backlight display. :smile:

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Oh, well that cinches it!!

cale262
12-31-2010, 06:12 PM

LMFAO...you can choose or change the RKE display to what ever colour fancies you at the moment :smilecol:

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 06:14 PM
LMFAO...you can choose or change the RKE display to what ever colour fancies you at the moment :smilecol:

Doug
12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
More than happy with my RK2. I dont however have any programming brains, so its not being used to its furthest ability. Perhaps not the same as some systems but great for the price it cost me. Been running perfect for over three yrs. now. Only upkeep has been replacement of temp probe and super excellent customer service and web site as someone mentioned.

If I had a new large tank one day again, {not going to happen}, I may go Profilux for a few reasons, including some of our sponsors.

cale262
12-31-2010, 06:42 PM

No...But I'm thinking maybe I should:redface:

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 06:52 PM
If I had a new large tank one day again, {not going to happen}, I may go Profilux for a few reasons, including some of our sponsors.

To be fair, I think as many sponsors sell the other brands :)

The Profilux is certainly a nice unit with tons of curb appeal, but that's not enough to warrant the price. All of the top 3 seem to have great support, so again, it comes to curb appeal:price ratio. For me, the happy medium will be the Apex. Unless a Profilux seller wants to price one into my range, then I'd reconsider :)

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 06:52 PM
No...But I'm thinking maybe I should:redface:

I'd nominate you!

StirCrazy
12-31-2010, 08:04 PM

are you getting kickbacks for pushing sponcers? :mrgreen:

seriously though sponcership is a advertising tool for them not a way to buy loyalty, so ya its handy to see the sponcers names on the board and if they sell the same product at a reasonable price that a non spooncer does I would chose the sponcer, but I wouldn't buy a different product than I want/need because I can only get it through a non-sponcer.

now the proflux is a sexy looking unit, but in my opinion it has been priced out of the common person's range. I was looking at one for my tank and to get the basic unit with a couple probes, level indicators and a 3 pump slave dosing unit it was over 1K. and for that 1K I didn't get any conectivity whatsoever. so no internet, no warnings by e-mail or cell, no webserver ect.. with out the dosing pump it was still 800 bucks.

Steve

Doug
12-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Sheez you guys. I said one of the reasons. Dont put words in my mouth Steve about buying loyalty. I support our sponsors to the best of my ability. If I have to explain why I would do that, then ppttttthhhhhhhhh. :D

Yes Brad, I understand some sell the others. I just said that as I like what I have read about the unit and a the service from the ones that carry it.

For now I love my Reefkeeper and their service. :D I just wish I could figure out how to use all its functions.

Aquattro
12-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Sheez you guys. I said one of the reasons. Dont put words in my mouth Steve about buying loyalty.

Doug, just ignore Steve, he can't help himself :)

Doug
12-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Doug, just ignore Steve, he can't help himself :)

Ya I know but I still like him. :biggrin:

amoreira
12-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I had the RKE. One major problem, I encountered with it is that the pH/Orp probes are not current isolated. That is to say any stray current or EM interference in your system will throw the measurement off. Another fault is that you cannot independently calibrate two probes on separate module. Calibrate one, then the other gets thrown off. For these reasons, I dumped the RKE and got an Apex. I'v no experience with the profilux.

Mind you I've also experienced some issues with the apex such as a mysterious shutdown of my recirc pumps and lighting for four hours ( when I was away) and it came back on bye itself. I also found the alarms a bit tricky to program and the alarm messages cryptic. Overall the apex looks more solid than the RKE. I hope this helps.

fencer
12-31-2010, 09:45 PM
tunze right out of the box just need the cables
Calibrating ORP for apex is harder than the other units but it happens to be the correct way of doing it. wish Neptune would have internal self calibration.

amoreira
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Wish the apex would connect to my Osmollator ATOF. Sometimes the feed pump would fail and I've no alarm for low level in the sump. I will make my next project to put in a level float contact for low level.

The Apex also has a wireless I/F to the Vortech MP40. I've that on my list too.

Doug
12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
tunze right out of the box just need the cables
Calibrating ORP for apex is harder than the other units but it happens to be the correct way of doing it. wish Neptune would have internal self calibration.

Cant be much harder than my RK 2. I quit using it and went back to my Pinpoint ph meter.

fencer
12-31-2010, 10:31 PM
orp is a two soln calibration

Tom R
12-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I love my ProfiLux.

I have had it for over 4 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything.

It may be the most expensive controller on the market, however it is also the most reliable, complete system out there.

They also astound me with their free updates and quick response to any new equipment introduced to the market place.

Tom R

zum14
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Found this thread handy, thanks. After reading and chatting with a few guys ive decided with apex lite. Its nice to have these threads to see the differences as the lists on these things are huge. Im not going to need the two features of the full version and even if i do later on down the road there is modules for them so its not like you cant make a lite a full version, just might cost a bit more down the road. I looked at profilux too but agree that its just not worth the extra expense, that and i dont have a tonne of room for the head unit. Just waiting for the price and itll get ordered. Christmas is a little late for me this year.

trilinearmipmap
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I am fairly happy with my Apex.

However it seems not quite ready as an off-the-shelf consumer product.

Particularly setting up wireless connectivity with a Mac, and doing firmware updates on a Mac, took quite a bit of research and work, installing programs on the Mac etc. And there have been a few bugs to deal with along the way, but the bugs seem gone now that I am on the latest firmware.

If you are happy tinkering around with computers, setting up networks, etc. then by all means get the Apex.

cwatkins
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Particularly setting up wireless connectivity with a Mac, and doing firmware updates on a Mac, took quite a bit of research and work, installing programs on the Mac etc.

I think it's recommended (I think I read this somewhere...) to ensure your PC/Mac and the Apex are all hard wired with a network cable to your switch/router when doing Firmware updates...

I put in a network jack near the tank. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Particularly setting up wireless connectivity with a Mac, and doing firmware updates on a Mac, took quite a bit of research and work, installing programs on the Mac

there seams to be one reocurring theam here problems with a MAC need I say more :mrgreen:

Steve

trilinearmipmap
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I got things working with my Mac.

It just took several hours of work to get it done.

So it depends on how computer savvy you are and how much time you want to put into it.

I have moderate computer skills (ex-machine language programmer 25 years ago and haven't programmed anything since then), for those with up to date computer skills it should be easy, for those not good with computers the Apex setup can be a pain.

doch
01-02-2011, 05:29 AM
for those with up to date computer skills it should be easy, for those not good with computers the Apex setup can be a pain.

I think this holds true for all 3 of the options.

As happy as I am with my RKE, Im in the thinking mode for a controller for my tank up north (where I work) and am thinking about trying the Apex... that way, when I move out of both houses and do the big upgrade I'll have the controller that I like the best. We'll see... I may just pick up another RKE. The nice thing about trying both would be that I could also try both of the mobile apps, and have both running and know where each alarm is coming from with no thinking.

Oh, and BTW... looking at the prices online, the 2 seem to be within $10... so the price difference is negligable.

Snappy
01-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Wish the apex would connect to my Osmollator ATOF. Sometimes the feed pump would fail and I've no alarm for low level in the sump. I will make my next project to put in a level float contact for low level.
In my opinion the Osmolator is really only reliable for smaller systems because it will only run for 10 minutes max and then shuts down with no reset. Once the 10 minute cycle ends & the light goes red & you need to reset it manually by unplugging it. A royal pain for a larger system, I only use mine as a back up unit.

rjengen
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I love my ProfiLux.

I have had it for over 4 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything.

It may be the most expensive controller on the market, however it is also the most reliable, complete system out there.

They also astound me with their free updates and quick response to any new equipment introduced to the market place.

Tom R

Couldn't say it any better myself...I think every controller out there has it's fanboys, and there is always going to be debate over them. Go take a look at all three controllers at work, their history, and their support...to me it's a no brainer. I think some companies set the standard in the controller world, and others scramble to follow suit, and play catch up a lot of the time. Also can't wait to see the new graphic interface that profilux is coming out with...looks good!

Jason McK
01-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Not a lot of Profilux supporters. Yes I have to admit that they are expensive (I got mine used)
I'll admit I know nothing about other controllers, but to point out some of the high lights of the Profilux unit
1) simple to use PC interface
2) Online Support Profilux Support Forum (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forum.php) that is top notch
3) Unending expandability
4) 3rd party manufactures of lights, pumps, anything really have been integrated to be driven by Profilux

J

Aquattro
01-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Not a lot of Profilux supporters.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I support that it's a great product, and support has a good reputation. I would buy one today, BUT....for the basics to manage what I need comes in around $1400 after taxes. The Apex unit, which has a good reputation and good support as well, comes in at under $800 for the same functionality I require.
So far the only function the Apex apparently can't do(within my reqs) is create lightning effects...not something I desire on my setup.
Now if the Profilux was even close in price, I would buy it for sure, based on reputation, functionality and curb appeal. But for a difference of 600 bucks, I have to look at the Apex to fill my needs.

Jason McK
01-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I just meant not a lot of the supports had posted in this thread. Then I noticed Tom and rjengen posts :)

Aquattro
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I just meant not a lot of the supports had posted in this thread. Then I noticed Tom and rjengen posts :)

Oh, ya. I guess it's a money thing. I have never heard a bad comment about Profilux, other than most of us can't afford one :)

and within the realm of what most people need, there are comparable units at a lot less money. For my needs, I would need to buy the beginner III pack and a second powerbar, which putsit out of my price range. The Apex, with identical features is $691 cheaper. That's a lot of other stuff I can buy.

rjengen
01-02-2011, 06:02 PM
It's like bikes...some people are happy riding around on their honda's, while there are some of us that love to ride around on our harley's...they both get you to where you're going...only one costs a little more, and sounds better :lol:

mr.wilson
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM
The Vertex Cerebra is just a CAD drawing, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You will see a touch screen from the other players before that one ever makes it to market. A proprietary touch screen isn't the smart way to go, when you can buy an Ipad for $550, or an HP Slate in Stir Crazy's case :)

If your short term and longterm needs are limited (PH, temp, ORP, ATO, lighting), then buy a Reefkeeper. If you have a larger system with a calcium reactor, prop pumps, or any other 0-10V devices then go with Apex, and if you don't mind paying double the cost and can't do it with Apex, then Profilux is the smart choice.

All of these manufacturers have very confusing or at least vague, product lists and descriptions. Be prepared for surprise extra costs for modules, expansion boxes, power bars, level sensors, calibration solutions, software, and solenoids.

If you like tech gear, then any of these are well worth the investment. If you are not technically inclined, then buy dedicated control devices. Sometimes it is convenient to carry all of your eggs in one basket, while other times... how does the saying go again?

kien
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Oh, ya. I guess it's a money thing. I have never heard a bad comment about Profilux, other than most of us can't afford one :)

I have a Profilux on my system and if it broke today I would not buy another one. Once everything is set up and I don't have to touch it, it isn't so bad. However, if I ever need to do anything with the controller, that is use the interface, I cringe. It is the worst piece of software I have ever used. Crashes at least once a session. Sometimes doesn't even connect with the controller. Very frustrating. To keep the controller up to date it is recommended that you update the firmware frequently. This exercise is like hammering nails into your foot. Painful. The iPhone app for the Profilux? Not even officially supported by GHL. It is a third party app that someone wrote that hooks into a third party website (which is also not officially supported by GHL). You have to give that website complete control of your Profilux (ie, login ID, and Password) so that the iPhone app can proxy through it. The iPhone app does not directly communicate with the Profilux head unit which is pretty lame if you ask me.

The Profilux is a very powerful controller, but comes with its own sets of issues. I would personally not buy another one.

amoreira
01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
>So far the only function the Apex apparently can't do(within my reqs) is create lightning effects...not something I desire on my setup.

I've got an LED AquaIllumination system on order (Xmas present, drool, drool) and Apex has a module that will interface to the AI system. It does support weather events, clouds and lightning. Anyways, I don't think that's so important, as the moon cycles and sunrise/sunset simulations.

amoreira
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
In my opinion the Osmolator is really only reliable for smaller systems because it will only run for 10 minutes max and then shuts down with no reset. Once the 10 minute cycle ends & the light goes red & you need to reset it manually by unplugging it. A royal pain for a larger system, I only use mine as a back up unit.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and the pump is not that reliable. I've had to replace 2 that burnt out. I also made the mistake of unplugging it 1 too many times from the plug in to the unit (not the wall) and it's loosely connected to the unit often failing to give it power.

I'm thinking of switching to s a simple float switch and a proper top off pump.

Snappy
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I have a Profilux controller but have not taken the time to figure it all out yet. :redface: Although that said I personally find their instructions rather "user unfriendly" but I'm not a computer buff. I just use mine for dosing, ph & temp measurements at the moment but plan to expand in the near future. I'll take a look at the link Jason sent, maybe with some help I can start utilizing it better.

Snappy
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and the pump is not that reliable. I've had to replace 2 that burnt out. I also made the mistake of unplugging it 1 too many times from the plug in to the unit (not the wall) and it's loosely connected to the unit often failing to give it power.

I'm thinking of switching to s a simple float switch and a proper top off pump.That's what I did except I just use an old powerhead to kickstart the flow after I empty my fresh water holding tank doing salt mix for a water change, once I get the flow running again I unplug the powerhead and just let it syphon through it, works quite well.
I don't remember the brand name but I bought from Marine Aquaria in Edmonton.

MitchM
01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
My Profilux came with a couple of optical sensors. I use the controller to switch on and off the R/O water with a solenoid (http://www.autotopoff.com/solenoid/) from Autotopoff.com ($32.00) You can set the solenoid to switch off after how ever many hours you like to prevent over filling.
I agree that the Osmolator is best for smaller systems.

Palmer
01-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry not to derale this thread but-

Just out of curiosity what are we considering smaller systems? Less than 500 gallons? In the posts that mention an osmolator is better for smaller systems are we saying that the rate of flow from the pump may not be sufficient to match evaporation rate of the system? I have an osmolator on a 120 Gallon tank with about 30 Gallons in the sump. Granted system size does not absolutely determine evaporation rate but mine isn't running that often that it is limited to the rate of the pump and I would love to have a system that had this problem :lol:

MitchM
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I use an osmolator on a 150g setup that I have. Sometimes the sensor will become blocked or clouded over with salt creep or other stuff. After I clean it up, the pump will only run for 10 minutes then stop, which means that I have to sit there and plug then unplug the unit until the sump level is back up to regular maintained levels. Ideally it should keep up by small increments, but it doesn't always work out that way.
I think that on a smaller sump volume you could probably catch the problem sooner.

Aquattro
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
It's like bikes...some people are happy riding around on their honda's, while there are some of us that love to ride around on our harley's...they both get you to where you're going...only one costs a little more, and sounds better :lol:

I think this probably makes up my mind for me. I just need to get somewhere, so if both devices are comparable in what they will offer me, the less expensive is the way to go. That leaves me 600 bucks for coral :)

If ever I win the lottery and can afford a Harley, I'll be buying a Ferrari instead. I'll use it to go to the LFS and pick up a Profilux :)

cale262
01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I think this probably makes up my mind for me. I just need to get somewhere, so if both devices are comparable in what they will offer me, the less expensive is the way to go. That leaves me 600 bucks for coral :)

If ever I win the lottery and can afford a Harley, I'll be buying a Ferrari instead. I'll use it to go to the LFS and pick up a Profilux :)

LOL, at least you'll get where you're going with the reliable Honda,...You can't always say that with the Harley, Just saying...:wink:

mr.wilson
01-02-2011, 11:57 PM
My Profilux came with a couple of optical sensors. I use the controller to switch on and off the R/O water with a solenoid (http://www.autotopoff.com/solenoid/) from Autotopoff.com ($32.00) You can set the solenoid to switch off after how ever many hours you like to prevent over filling.
I agree that the Osmolator is best for smaller systems.

I use the exact same solenoid with a Profilux, as the GHL solenoid is only 230V, 50 hz. I switched mine to one optical sensor and one float switch as a fail safe. I have a mechanical float valve as a further fail safe.

Delphinus
01-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Sorry not to derale this thread but-

Just out of curiosity what are we considering smaller systems? Less than 500 gallons? In the posts that mention an osmolator is better for smaller systems are we saying that the rate of flow from the pump may not be sufficient to match evaporation rate of the system? I have an osmolator on a 120 Gallon tank with about 30 Gallons in the sump. Granted system size does not absolutely determine evaporation rate but mine isn't running that often that it is limited to the rate of the pump and I would love to have a system that had this problem :lol:

Continuing with this derail ... FWIW, I am running an Osmolator on my 280g, and with 3x400w halides, 4x54w t5's and 2x24 t5's, there is a fair bit of evaporation happening.

But the Osmolator is defective, it doesn't shut off (it gets stuck on). In the meantime while I am dealing with Tunze service about this, I just plug it in for a few minutes twice a day and unplug it when the water level gets to the level it should be.

Point is, the supplied pump is not slower than the rate of evaporation.

One thing you can do however, is get a 12V relay from an electronics supply store, splice that into an extension cord, run it off the top up and then you can run a Maxijet (or a solenoid valve or whatever you want) instead of the suppliied DC pump. You can also buy such a relay from Tunze although I don't see it listed anywhere, but the DIY project would be pretty simple (and probably around $10-20 in cost).

Check it:
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/do-yourself/78644-diy-12v-relay-tunze-osmolator-any-other-12v-trigger-device.html

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Hey, derailers, get out of my thread!! :)

mr.wilson
01-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Hey, derailers, get out of my thread!! :)

You say that now, just wait until you are trying to figure out how to hook up the ATO on your new controller. :)

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 04:49 AM
You say that now, just wait until you are trying to figure out how to hook up the ATO on your new controller. :)

Ok, I'll shut up :)

StirCrazy
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
One thing you can do however, is get a 12V relay from an electronics supply store, splice that into an extension cord, run it off the top up and then you can run a Maxijet (or a solenoid valve or whatever you want) instead of the suppliied DC pump. You can also buy such a relay from Tunze although I don't see it listed anywhere, but the DIY project would be pretty simple (and probably around $10-20 in cost).

Please done give Brad and ideas that involve him doing anything electrical over pushing a button or plugging it in.. I have seen what happens when he does wiring..

Steve

lastlight
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Continuing with this derail ... FWIW, I am running an Osmolator on my 280g, and with 3x400w halides, 4x54w t5's and 2x24 t5's, there is a fair bit of evaporation happening.

But the Osmolator is defective, it doesn't shut off (it gets stuck on). In the meantime while I am dealing with Tunze service about this, I just plug it in for a few minutes twice a day and unplug it when the water level gets to the level it should be.

Point is, the supplied pump is not slower than the rate of evaporation.

Check it:
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/do-yourself/78644-diy-12v-relay-tunze-osmolator-any-other-12v-trigger-device.html

I was going to suggest this after Greg posted about the unit not being sufficient for his setup. I've seen that pump flow tho...I have a super tough time believing it pumps slower than the evap. Or maybe I'm not fully understanding. Maybe the reservoir the sensor is in is very large so when the 'eye' detects a need for water it can't make it up in 10 min. I think if you make the return pump area small enough so evaporation makes the level there change very quickly...the unit will be doing far more frequent topoffs and none even close to 10 min in length.

But umm...on topic...I like my standalone doser. If the main unit is as easy to use at it is I wouldn't have any issues. I'm a computer nerd to a small degree so maybe it helps I'm not sure.

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Please done give Brad and ideas that involve him doing anything electrical over pushing a button or plugging it in.. I have seen what happens when he does wiring..

Steve

Shut up!! It was a small fire!! Although I did zap myself last week, but that wasn't my fault!

StirCrazy
01-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Although I did zap myself last week, but that wasn't my fault!

not your fault? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Steve

Aquattro
01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
not your fault? :rolleyes: :rofl:

Steve

No. I put an old hagen powerhead in the tank, and then my arms. Then I touched the reflector and slam, got jolted out of the tank. It's the powerhead's fault. And quit derailing my thread.

StirCrazy
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
And quit derailing my thread.

your thread was derailed years ago :wink: oh and still waiting for pictures...

Steve

albert_dao
01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
The Vertex Cerebra is just a CAD drawing, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

That's a pretty unsubstantiated claim considering a working prototype was displayed at Interzoo. To the best of my knowledge, it would seem highly improbable/impossible to have thousands of individuals touch and physically manipulate a CAD-based object at a trade show short of... MAGIC. So unless you're suggesting that MAGIC happened, I'd back up your statement with something outside of a biased opinion.

The Cerebra is completely different from traditional controller systems. It is an app-based device, and much like what the iPhone did to the mobile industry, the Cerebra will set the stage for a new level of user functionality and interactivity. What other controller will be seamlessly plug & play for any and all devices/apps. What other controller will prominently feature Android-based app building function? How many controllers are still limited by their 8-bit CPU?

Cross your t's and dot your i's buddy.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.

StirCrazy
01-04-2011, 12:24 AM
The Vertex Cerebra is just a CAD drawing, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. You will see a touch screen from the other players before that one ever makes it to market. A proprietary touch screen isn't the smart way to go, when you can buy an Ipad for $550, or an HP Slate in Stir Crazy's case :)

hey hey hey... whats with the slams when I am not paying atention to the unimportant posts :mrgreen:

just kidding I just noticed this and found you slamming me again. but ya the vertex does look sweet, to bad its only gone into beta testing.

Brad hold out till we see how much this one is :mrgreen:

Steve

mr.wilson
01-04-2011, 01:29 AM
hey hey hey... whats with the slams when I am not paying atention to the unimportant posts :mrgreen:

just kidding I just noticed this and found you slamming me again. but ya the vertex does look sweet, to bad its only gone into beta testing.

Steve

It's not a slam unless you love Ipads :)

mr.wilson
01-04-2011, 01:35 AM
That's a pretty unsubstantiated claim considering a working prototype was displayed at Interzoo. To the best of my knowledge, it would seem highly improbable/impossible to have thousands of individuals touch and physically manipulate a CAD-based object at a trade show short of... MAGIC. So unless you're suggesting that MAGIC happened, I'd back up your statement with something outside of a biased opinion.

The Cerebra is completely different from traditional controller systems. It is an app-based device, and much like what the iPhone did to the mobile industry, the Cerebra will set the stage for a new level of user functionality and interactivity. What other controller will be seamlessly plug & play for any and all devices/apps. What other controller will prominently feature Android-based app building function? How many controllers are still limited by their 8-bit CPU?

Sorry, I didn't hear the prototype was working. I heard it was just a concept. I still stand by my comment that an Ipad or similar device makes more sense. I'm sure Vertex will drop the Cerebra once they realize this.

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Steve

No, I don't think it's gonna be out soon enough. It's gotta go thru testing and I don't suspect we'll see it until summer. I'm going to go with the Apex I think...

intarsiabox
01-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Wow, somebody fell out of bed this morning. Thanks for the un-biased post though.

lastlight
01-04-2011, 04:15 AM
You rattle the Proline cage and Albert returns from the dead. That my friends is the REAL magic. :biggrin:

intarsiabox
01-04-2011, 04:35 AM
You rattle the Proline cage and Albert returns from the dead. That my friends is the REAL magic. :biggrin:

Maybe it was just residual parnoramal energy posting?

albert_dao
01-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Sorry, I didn't hear the prototype was working. I heard it was just a concept. I still stand by my comment that an Ipad or similar device makes more sense. I'm sure Vertex will drop the Cerebra once they realize this.

Okay!

... But the Cerebra is not a GUI device/touchscreen overkill/whatever toy for rich kids and their Nemos. It is a complete aquarium manager and hosts all the bells and whistles commonly associated with these equipments. There is not a lot of information out there about this product, but I assure you, the touchscreen is merely the most visible portion of the platform. There is a reason it has a 32-bit processor over the standard 8-bits that you see in other systems.

At the risk of hyperbole, I would press that the Cerebra will do for aquarium controllers what the iPhone/Blackberry did for personal communication devices.

StirCrazy
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Okay!

... But the Cerebra is not a GUI device/touchscreen overkill/whatever toy for rich kids and their Nemos. It is a complete aquarium manager and hosts all the bells and whistles commonly associated with these equipments. There is not a lot of information out there about this product, but I assure you, the touchscreen is merely the most visible portion of the platform. There is a reason it has a 32-bit processor over the standard 8-bits that you see in other systems.

At the risk of hyperbole, I would press that the Cerebra will do for aquarium controllers what the iPhone/Blackberry did for personal communication devices.

is it realy based on the android set up? that would realy suck if it is.

Steve

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
is it realy based on the android set up? that would realy suck if it is.

Steve

Oh God, Android is great, you're just upset that you still own a BB. I would consider it a great feature if it's Android based.

StirCrazy
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh God, Android is great, you're just upset that you still own a BB. I would consider it a great feature if it's Android based.

actualy any of the app based phones have good apps and its not the android its self I am worried about but rather its popularity with its brainwashed owners. the apple iphone has been having virius issues with apps and now its moving on to the android. now it is a slim to none chance that this would be an issue with a aquarium controler as there is nothing realy to gain by infecting it, but the possibility of something getting screwed up and possibily messing things up with your tank are pretty scary.

I think that even if it is a app based set up you will only be allowed to use there apps and they won't be open source like a lot of the android ones are.

Steve

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 05:02 PM
But with Android, which is open source, anyone can write an app, it's not restricted to the vendor. And if needed (assuming it's anything like a phone), you could reload a backup of your ROM in 5 minutes. I personally would think it a good feature to be Android based.

albert_dao
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I think that even if it is a app based set up you will only be allowed to use there apps and they won't be open source like a lot of the android ones are.

Steve

What other controller will prominently feature Android-based app building function?

This is going to be one of the main selling features of the Cerebra. Custom App availability will be subject to review prior to availability to end users to prevent any issues with system corruption.

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Custom App availability will be subject to review prior to availability to end users to prevent any issues with system corruption.

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One

Aquattro
Custom App availability will be subject to review prior to availability to end users to prevent any issues with system corruption.

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a reefer

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a reefer wrote

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a reefer wrote an

Aquattro

Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a reefer wrote an app, and it's always improving with requested updates.

albert_dao
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
You're always going to be free to write your own apps or unregistered apps at your own risk.

mr.wilson
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Isn't this moving away from the open source concept? One of the things I like about the Apex is that a reefer wrote an app, and it's always improving with requested updates.

Posting via android? :) Now imagine it was a dosing pump that jams instead of a post button.

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Posting via android? :) Now imagine it was a dosing pump that jams instead of a post button.

No, posting via Lenovo laptop :) And I don't use dosing pumps, so it's all good -lol
But, I've never had any issues with my Android phone that I haven't induced myself, so I'd be confident in using it as a controller interface.

Doug
01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
No, posting via Lenovo laptop :) And I don't use dosing pumps, so it's all good -lol
But, I've never had any issues with my Android phone that I haven't induced myself, so I'd be confident in using it as a controller interface.

If you had a Mac, that would not happen Brad. :lol:

mr.wilson
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not even sure what Android is, but I don't see it as a problem either.

Aquattro
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
If you had a Mac, that would not happen Brad. :lol:

you're right, I probably wouldn't have been able to post at all!!

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Just a follow up, I bought the Apex with an additional powerbar, and so far I'm really happy with it. From opening the box to logging into the web interface via browser took about 10 minutes. Simple devices are easily manageable thru the web interface, and adding your own Advanced settings statements seems pretty straight forward.
Down side is I have to move all my ballasts to the other side of the stand so they can reach :)

fencer
01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Welcome to the APEX brotherhood :)

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Welcome to the APEX brotherhood :)

Do I get a ring?? :)

lastlight
01-17-2011, 06:11 AM
No you get to move ballasts =)

cwatkins
01-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Where's your fancy new signature? :lol:

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM
No you get to move ballasts =)

hmmph, some brotherhood!! -lol

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Where's your fancy new signature? :lol:

Well, right now it would say Temp = too high. Metal halide 1 = Off. RO topoff=maybe later. metal halide 2,3=hey, where the hell are MH 2&3?

Not quite ready to play with the sig stuff, although setting it all up via my phone from the couch is pretty cool :P And since it's a web interface, I can use phone, PC or my iPad without having to install anything. Love that part!

StirCrazy
01-17-2011, 07:25 AM
has there been any smoke yet?

Steve

Funky_Fish14
01-17-2011, 08:11 AM
So far, looking at all 3 products, I've decided that they all need to dumb down their product promo material. I'm not an electrical engineer, and mostly still don't know what I need to accomplish x, y & z.
Like why do I need a module that plugs into the Apex which measures pH/ORP when the unit does that out of the box? And a bus is something people ride on, not install on their tanks :P
Use.Simple.Words.

Hmmm, I definitely have to agree haha. I consider myself... at least a bit above the 'average' computer user, in terms of understanding techno-lingo and abilities... but I have to agree. These controllers, profilux in particular, aren't entirely user-friendly on all their bases.

This thread has been very useful! Thanks! Im looking at going controller route... profilux was my original consideration (out of ignorance... It is simply the one I knew most about from previous research), but will have more to think about now!

Good luck with your APEX Brad! Keep us updated!

Cheers,

Chris

PoonTang
01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Congrats on the purchase brad. I knew you would love it. I am still waiting to get another power bar for mine so I can have one mounted at the other end of the stand to run a bunch more stuff that I didn't have room for on the first bar. I am going to get a breakout box too so I can have sump and ato reservoir floats and a water on floor sensor.

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I consider myself... at least a bit above the 'average' computer user, in terms of understanding techno-lingo and abilities... but I have to agree. These controllers, profilux in particular, aren't entirely user-friendly on all their bases.

Chris

After reading a few threads here and at RC, I was a bit worried about difficulty in setup, but it was dead easy, pretty much configuring itself on the network. I plugged it into my router, used the display pad to see the IP, punched that into my browser, entered default admin and password, and away we went!
The basics are that simple again. You pick the outlet for the light, use the gui for on and off times, etc. For more complicated things, the Unofficial manual has examples that you modify for your own needs, for example, my water solenoid...OSC 15/165/0 Then ON is a simple statement that says at midnight, turn on for 15 minutes, off for 165, then repeat. This lets my topoff run 15 minutes every three hours. Pretty easy, and no computer experience required.
Gareth was over last night (from ProReef) and was impressed with his initial view of the stuff, which is pretty good, because I'm pretty sure he sleeps with some of his Profilux stuff :)
Overall, unless you need the profilux for something in particular, Apex is a great choice. I had one support question already re: cord lengths, and Curt, the owner, replied within an hour on a Saturday night!
All the gear I need cost about 800 after taxes, so a savings of about $600 over the Profilux. For users with less than 3 x 400w MH, you could get away with only one powerbar, for an additional savings of about $200.

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
. I am still waiting to get another power bar for mine so I can have one mounted at the other end of the stand to run a bunch more stuff that I didn't have room for on the first bar.

My problem is that my stand is about 7 feet long, and the power cords on the bars are 6 feet :) That means either a centrally mounted base unit, which is ugly to wire under stand, or, as I've done, all the controller stuff is mounted on one end in a separate cabinet. Unfortunately the cabinet is on the left of the tank, and all the electrical stuff in stand is on the right. Poor planning on my part, so now I have to reorganize the layout to run wires to the left. A bit of a pain, but it will clean up my wiring mess -lol

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
has there been any smoke yet?

Steve

Surprisingly, no! :) smartass....:wink:

Aquattro
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey, whadayaknow, Canreef has a specific forum for this type of thread..who knew??

Moved to the right forum :)

seasmurf
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi, this file is too big for me to attatch, if you want it, just P|M me and I will email it. My good friend NAS uses the reekeeper II.

Reefkeeper I
AquaController Jr
Biotope
ReefKeeper II
Light House
Solar 1000
Aquacontroler III
Aquadyne 4000
Basicline
Aquamedic
Aquatronica
ProfiLux Plus II
AquaController III Pro
Profiline
AquaSmart
IKS Midi
Riff Control
Elos Biotopus II

whatcaneyedo
02-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi, this file is too big for me to attatch, if you want it, just P|M me and I will email it. My good friend NAS uses the reekeeper II.

Reefkeeper I
AquaController Jr
Biotope
ReefKeeper II
Light House
Solar 1000
Aquacontroler III
Aquadyne 4000
Basicline
Aquamedic
Aquatronica
ProfiLux Plus II
AquaController III Pro
Profiline
AquaSmart
IKS Midi
Riff Control
Elos Biotopus II

That spreadsheet is getting pretty outdated but it can also be downloaded here: http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/aquarium-equipment-comparisons.php

seasmurf
02-11-2011, 01:15 AM
LOL! I'm so far behind I think I'm first! :dizzy:
Good, I'll take that new link and go back to my padded room now (they dont let me out very often).:mrgreen: