PDA

View Full Version : LF small tank - Edmonton

kimax
12-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Hello,

I have a small mantis who is about 2". He currently resides in a plastic tank and I am sick of scubbing algae off it and scratching the thing to all heck, so its time for a glass tank. I am looking for a small glass tank roughly 5 - 10 gallons in a cube or cube-ish size. I don't want a standard 5 or 10 gallon at this time. If anyone has something like this laying around, please let me know. I thought I would try here before having one made.

Thanks,

Kelly

reefwars
12-30-2010, 03:29 AM
best thing for mantis is acrylic and you could easily make it yourself but acrylic isnt cheap but acrylic scratches easily as well but the problem is that theres always a chance a mantis will break thin glass that are used in 10g's so if you have one made from glass go thicker.

what is the reason for the algae is it just film algae on your glass(plastic):)??

kimax
12-30-2010, 03:36 AM
It's coralline algae so it's on there good. I end up scratching the plastic really badly when I try to get it off. Acrylic would work as well, I just want to get rid of the plastic. (I know many people like the look of coralline algae, and I do, just not on the front or sides of my tanks)

I have read about mantis species breaking glass but have also read that many people believe this to only happen rarely in larger species. Anyone care to comment on this? Experience?

No idea what species he is. Have had him about 6 months and has not really grown at all. Will upgrade as he grows, if he does.

Thanks in advance.

dunl
12-30-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm on mantis number 6 or 7...I've lost count over the years.

Never had one break the glass.

reefwars
12-30-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm on mantis number 6 or 7...I've lost count over the years.

Never had one break the glass.

same here ive had a few and have a small one now and ive never had any break glass but still i would be skeptacle about really thin glass, it would depend on the mantis mostly and its size.....at 2" youd be fine :):)

intarsiabox
12-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I think a mantis cracking the glass would be more by accident, probably catching prey along the glass. It would need a reason to attack a pane of glass in the first place, but I guess better safe than sorry. I've seen a 3-4" peacock mantis in a 10g stock tank without issues.

mr_alberta
12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Something like a Oceanic Biocube or even a Fluval Edge would make a cool Mantis tank. Both are relatively inexpensive too.