PDA

View Full Version : ELOS KH test kit issue

ickmagnet
12-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I am using this kit and it says to stop adding drops when the color changes from cyan to yellow however, it only changes from a cyan to orange with no real yellow in between. It just goes from a lighter orange to a darker orange so i have no idea when to stop. Anyone else have this issue? I shook the bottle as directed before use.

BlueTang<3
12-30-2010, 03:03 AM
How old is the test kit? Thats weird

globaldesigns
12-30-2010, 03:06 AM
ELOS KH, goes from Bluish to yellowish. At least for me that is what I see, as I use the same kit. Add one drop at a time, then swirl until it goes from the bluish to the new color... Take the number of drops and then divide by half.

To make your kit last longer, I actually fill the vile with half the required water it wants, then add drops until the color change. The number of drops is the value of KH... I have done this for quite awhile and sure stretches the kit out longer.

ickmagnet
12-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Good money saving tips. I'll try that.

I actually just bought the thing so it is brand new.

I am now thoroughly confused and will be asking for more help with regards to my Calcium reactor that i just set up after a pump mod. It is not making any sense. Had I known that it was going to be this complicated, I would never have bought the damn thing.

Dyspnea
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I had the same problem. You have too really read the directions closely :p

For part two of the test you need a clean vital with new tank water.

BlueTang<3
12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I had the same problem. You have too really read the directions closely :p

For part two of the test you need a clean vital with new tank water.

You must be thinking magnesium. The KH you just add 5mls of water and each drop is .5dkh

Dyspnea
12-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh yea, your right. Got them mixed up, It was 4 am when i posted thou :p

Myka
12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
If it turns orange there are too many drops. You should take the reading when there clearly is no blue left. I find it goes from cyan, to light cyan, to lighter cyan, and then there will be one drop where suddenly it definitely isn't cyan anymore. That's when I take the reading. In my case, I find that is a light urine color. :lol:

globaldesigns
12-30-2010, 08:16 PM
If it turns orange there are too many drops. You should take the reading when there clearly is no blue left. I find it goes from cyan, to light cyan, to lighter cyan, and then there will be one drop where suddenly it definitely isn't cyan anymore. That's when I take the reading. In my case, I find that is a light urine color. :lol:

Thats it... When it looks like PEE!!!

spawn
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
On My test kit step 4 reads like a misprint. It reads:

Step 4) Each drop of reagent corresponds to one degree of hardness. The total number of the drops used equals the total hardness of the solution in dkh for example 8 drops =4 dkh.
To me that says 8 drops = 8dkh Anybody else have this print in their kit?

Myka
12-31-2010, 01:07 AM
On My test kit step 4 reads like a misprint. It reads:

Step 4) Each drop of reagent corresponds to one degree of hardness. The total number of the drops used equals the total hardness of the solution in dkh for example 8 drops =4 dkh.

In my kit each drop of reagent is equal to 0.5 dKH. So 8 drops = 4 dKH.

spawn
12-31-2010, 01:21 AM
I saw that the other day at a lfs. It was in a white box, still elos but mine is in a silver box dated for 10-11. So is that Oct 2011 or nov 2010??

spawn
12-31-2010, 01:22 AM
I just bought a ghl 4 pump doser & will be setting it up on the weekend & do not want to be wrong on what I'm dosing.

spawn
12-31-2010, 01:29 AM
I get a light change in color @ 8 drops but for sure change @ 9 drops. So I've been under the impression that my alk is @ 8.5.
My Ph is @ 8.1, but it could be higher if I'm reading the alk test wrong, however I don't want to push my alk up without knowing if this kit is effed. What are some signs of low Alk??