PDA

View Full Version : Niger triggerfish personality?

daniella3d
12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I have a little niger triggerfish in my aquarium and it is very very skittish. Nothing bold in that little fish at all. Not a mean bone either.

He does not attack my shrimp, nor the crabs, nor the fish.

I got him at 3" and kept it in quarantine for 6 weeks (treated it for one popeye) and now he's 5" and he's been in my main tank for 2 weeks but he's so skittish! Is that normal?

Any sudden move and he dash like mad in the liverock, so much that sometime he gets scratches on his side. I have read that a niger trigger will get bold with age but when? I guess each one has its own personality but I just hope he'll get a little more confident.

Nobody is attacking the trigger and he's bold at time of eating (eats like an ogre!) but as soon as he finish eating he's his old self again and back to skittish mode.

I thought these fish were bold and fearless?

reefwars
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi,

I have a little niger triggerfish in my aquarium and it is very very skittish. Nothing bold in that little fish at all. Not a mean bone either.

He does not attack my shrimp, nor the crabs, nor the fish.

I got him at 3" and kept it in quarantine for 6 weeks (treated it for one popeye) and now he's 5" and he's been in my main tank for 2 weeks but he's so skittish! Is that normal?

Any sudden move and he dash like mad in the liverock, so much that sometime he gets scratches on his side. I have read that a niger trigger will get bold with age but when? I guess each one has its own personality but I just hope he'll get a little more confident.

Nobody is attacking the trigger and he's bold at time of eating (eats like an ogre!) but as soon as he finish eating he's his old self again and back to skittish mode.

I thought these fish were bold and fearless?

Mine was really bold would try to search my hand for food everytime I put it in , he rarely hid only during nighttime and he usually had an area to him self, maybe he's still just cautious because of quarantine I'd say give hm some time and you know the way to a fishes heart is through his stomach:) cheers:)

daniella3d
12-31-2010, 01:45 AM
As far as eating goes, there he's bold but that's it. he even dash in the liverock if someone walk in the kitchen and he can feel the vibration of the footsteps. Maybe he just need more ajusting.

I gave him some PE mysis today..he really like this stuff!

I'd say give hm some time and you know the way to a fishes heart is through his stomach:) cheers:)

mechano
12-31-2010, 06:19 PM
He'll come around, I have presently a 2 inch niger and he stays very close to the liverock and any sudden thump or bang(i have 2 young kids) and he bolts into the liverock as a precaution, but like yours, he is a pig when it comes to feeding time and is aggressive about it, even trying to steal food away from his companions. I also have never had a problem with him bothering any inverts or fish. Beautiful fish IMO.

daniella3d
07-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Well, he's now about 8" to 9" with the tail, still eat like a pig but still as skittish as it was before. He only come out to eat and back into hiding he goes.

I am very sad to see him always hiding in the rock like that. It's not a life.

But last week I have introduced a foxface and although the foxface was a bit aggressive with the trigger at the beginning, I am surprised to see my trigger come out a lot more during this week. Would putting even more fish in my aquarium motivate him to come out more? I currently have this 8" niger trigger, a 6" foxface and a 5" copperband (all mesurements with tail included) in my 75 gallons. Nitrates are still at or near 0.

I don't know what fish to add that would motivate him to come out more? It's drastic the change this week, I even see him come out and swim around, something he had not done since I sold my blue hippo tang. I was thinking maybe a blue throat trigger? I know that's a lot of fish in a 75 gallons but the harmony seem to be better the more I add fish. I only had the copperband and the trigger for the past 5 months and I have not seem my trigger swim during this time.

He'll come around, I have presently a 2 inch niger and he stays very close to the liverock and any sudden thump or bang(i have 2 young kids) and he bolts into the liverock as a precaution, but like yours, he is a pig when it comes to feeding time and is aggressive about it, even trying to steal food away from his companions. I also have never had a problem with him bothering any inverts or fish. Beautiful fish IMO.

marie
07-03-2011, 03:20 AM
I have found that there is nothing like small dither fish to make the larger fish braver, maybe add something like a few chromis or flasher wrasses. I wouldn't add any more large fish to the system, it's only 75g after all

Aquattro
07-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Adding chromis is adding a snack :)

marie
07-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Adding chromis is adding a snack :)

but it will get the trigger out of hiding, which is the whole point after all :lol:

Aquattro
07-03-2011, 04:27 PM
but it will get the trigger out of hiding, which is the whole point after all :lol:

For about 10 seconds :)

daniella3d
07-04-2011, 02:23 AM
That's an expensive lunch. I don't want to motivate the trigger to go hunting either, I just want him out more. He's out more and more now. It's strange that a large fish in the tank is really changing his behavior but those small pajama cardinals and my clownfish never made a difference.

Seams that in is case, the effect is really with a larger fish. I think I will keep it as it is for now and watch how things evolve because he's coming out more and more since I introduced the foxface.

For about 10 seconds :)

fishytime
07-04-2011, 03:27 AM
6"s in 7 months ???

daniella3d
07-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Not 6" in 7 months. He was about 4" when I got him. he's 7" to 8" more or less with the tail included. That's an approximation of course.. I did not took it out of the water and put against a ruler.

6"s in 7 months ???

intarsiabox
07-05-2011, 01:14 AM
My foxface seems to bring out the more shy fish in my tank as well. I have a royal gramma that was being harrassed when I first added him to the tank, he then befriended the foxface and everone played nice after that! I wouldn't be concerned about a fishes personality, "common behavior" is just a generalization and each fish will behave how it wants. Over time it's been my experience that just about all fish become pretty social with each other and their owner, or dead.

reefwars
07-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Not 6" in 7 months. He was about 4" when I got him. he's 7" to 8" more or less with the tail included. That's an approximation of course.. I did not took it out of the water and put against a ruler.

bahaha im sure he wouldnt like that , a little marker on the wall and mark his height every week lol:)

fishytime
07-05-2011, 06:28 AM
I got him at 3"

Well, he's now about 8" to 9"

that must have been a guys estimate of size huh?

Each fish really does have it own individual personality......Its impossible to generalize about a particular fish when there are always exceptions to the rule....

daniella3d
07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't think so, since I am a girl.

but yes it's an estimate...and it does not matter anyway.

I know guys think size does matter...I could not care less. Rather, lets just say it's a fisherman estimate lol!

that must have been a guys estimate of size huh?

Each fish really does have it own individual personality......Its impossible to generalize about a particular fish when there are always exceptions to the rule....