PDA

View Full Version : Have seen the light!

kuatto
12-19-2003, 07:59 PM
while doing some maintaince on my tanks decided to switch around lighting to see what kind of differance there was.I put an actinic with a power glow over the 54(which only has normal flur.)what a differance :smile: brought out some real nice colors in the livestock.After putting the actinc back on the reef tank I guess I'll be making a new light canopy to house more lighting for both the 54 and 33.
I know the bulbs are sold at LFS,but is there other places one could find the same kind of bulbs for cheaper (Home Depot,Canadian tire)

Jim

Seriak
12-19-2003, 08:49 PM
We have a Brite-Lite here in Calgary which sells a lot of bulbs of different types. However, I am not to sure about actinics. http://www.brite-lite.com

BCOrchidGuy
12-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Al Brite in Port Coquitlam sells actinics for about $11 each( that was last year when I bought them)

Doug

mr_alberta
12-19-2003, 09:30 PM
I've heard a rumor that there is a brite lite in Edmonton here somewhere on the west end. Supposedly by Aquarium Illusions.

kuatto
12-19-2003, 10:12 PM
well called a few LFS and a 36inch actinic and a 36inch pwr glow will run about 25-27 bucks a peice.If i was to look at a lighting place what other names/types would i ask for that would be epual to those type of bulbs?

BCOrchidGuy
12-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Yeah, give them a colour temperature if you like, IE ask for 10,000k or Actinic etc

Doug

Doug
12-20-2003, 05:03 PM
I have always used Philips actinics or the odd time, regular URI bulbs. A couple months ago, I was looking for new actinics. For whatever reason, could not find any in Winnipeg. :rolleyes:

I stopped in at one little lfs and the only actinic bulbs he had, were the Hagens. At $32, [the Marine Glo], its the same as URI, but more than the Philips, so I said what the heck.

I can tell you its by a long shot the brightest and nicest actinic bulb I have ever used. The colour was stunning from it and much brighter. To our eyes, it was a bright as a vho super actinic, being driven by an Icecap. :eek:

In fairness my other actinic is older, but I cant see it next to the Marine Glo.

kuatto
12-20-2003, 06:03 PM
The Marine Glow definitley are a nice blue(have 18 inch over the 44 corner tank with 250mh 10k),just when i see all these other normal flur. in HD I wondered if any were equal to the ones in the LFS.I did find 2 HO bulbs brandnew out in my "stuff"(wife calls it junk :frown: )complete with 38inch fixtures(don't remember where I got all 4).I took the black plastic lid off the tank,put a strip of plexi at each end,laid the fixtures on top and noticed a differance with how much more it lit the tank.Now for a trip to the lumber store for some nice pine board to build a canopy :mrgreen: and then a couple of bulbs.

Jim