PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Lighting

Scales
05-30-2002, 03:39 PM
I have just finished sectioning the sump on my latest tank and need to turn my attention to lighting. Anyone want to share their (hopefully low cost) refugium lighting secrets? Since the fabled Home Depot LOA (PC) fixture is not available in B.C. (or at least I have not found it), what are people using to light their refugiums? Has anyone experimented with the other "hardware store" fixtures like the (quartz?) halogen floodlights? Your collective experience is appreciated....before I open my wallet....again....and again....and again....

Achilles
05-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Hello! Welcome, I see you are a new member.

There are many ways to light your refugium successfully. I myself went down to the states (Bellingham - Home Depot) and purchased the 65 watt LOA fixture. It grows caulerpa like crazy. The bulb is simply a 65 watt compact flourescent, with a reflector in behind it. You could always install a system yourself using a ballast from AlBright lighting. I would pick up the WorkHorse 7 ballast by Fullham. It is a 220 watt electronic ballast, capable of running all types of tubes in different configurations. A metal halide is another exotic way to light your refugium, if your budget is not to constrained, remember that it is the highest quality light aquarists have READILY available to them at this time.

Lighting all depends on the size of your refugium, but IMO it is best to provide the most light you possibly can. Remember that as Caulerpa grows it shadows other caulerpa in the tank, and you want the largest amount of Caulerpa carrying out photosynthesis that you can.

Oh! One more thing, try to stay away from Halogen fixtures as they burn up way to much electricity, and get way to hot. You end up with a light that is a much greater fire hazard, burns to much electricity, and can drastically heat up your tank!

Cheers!

[ 30 May 2002, 13:30: Message edited by: Achilles ]

Mak
05-30-2002, 05:48 PM
If you only have a small area like me (section off 20g), then maybe grab a couple clip on desk lamps ($10 each) and a couple 23watt 5000k PC's ($19.99 each) from Albrite in POCO. I've had mine going for a month and the Calerpa is growing pretty damn good.

Scales
05-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Thank you both for your assistance.

Achilles: What was the end cost of the fixture in Canadian $, and, without in any way incriminating yourself, did this include all possible tariffs? I may just take a trip down there....haven't been to that "Feed/Aquarium" hybrid store in quite some time.

Makavelli: A quick question on whether the bulbs you suggest are the "screw" in type of PC I see at some stores or the "two pin"....just want to make sure I get the right product if I choose this option.

Mak
05-30-2002, 09:28 PM
TRFOW, the bulbs are the screw in type (self ballasted), the bulbs are guaranted for 18 months, and will be replaced over the counter. Total setup cost 60 +tax.

These bulbs i used in another fixture for about 2-3 months on my 20g, the corals loved these bulb's, as a matter of fact the corals totally out grew the 20g that's why I had to set up a 55g for them.

What size ref will you be having?

[ 30 May 2002, 17:38: Message edited by: MAKAVELLI ]

Achilles
05-30-2002, 10:03 PM
I can't remember the exact cost of the bulb, but I do recall a figure of $55 or $60. I think I even told them I purchased the light at the border but they didn't make me pay anything for it. A person coming across the border has a limit of $50 Canadian without having to pay anything, so I think they let it slide.

Now, as great as these little units are, there are a few things to keep in mind. Apparently you can't just get a new bulb for these units when they blow, something about their ballasts, so you will have to get a new unit each time they go. They are bright, but very localized because of the units reflector and small size. What I mean is that if your refugium is 2 feet long, go with one unit, but in my 3 foot 50 gallon refugium the unit only lights right below it effectively. I mean it lights VERY well for the area that it covers.

I have thought about going to 2x55 watt compacts in the future with a reflector from JL. I still plan on that when this bulb dies.

As Mac said... how large is your refugium going to be?

FishGeek
05-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Hey if there is a Rona/Revy/Revelstoke in your area check out their electrical department. They should carry a 6500k PC bulb with standard light fixture socket and built in ballest and all this is built into a pendant for about $25.
I can get you the Revy SKU 2morrow so you can ask for it! The fixture is very bright and uses very little electricity! My friend is hanging 3 of them over his main tank and he says they are very bright!

Simon

Canadian Man
05-31-2002, 01:49 AM
I have a 75g basement sump with 1/3 partitioned off as a refugium. I put a quick hood together and put 3 x 18" bulbs in the hood and are Overdriving them by a factor of 4x. they are wired in series so i only need 1 4 bulb ballast for all 3 18" bulbs.quite bright and calurpa and halamedia is growing like i would like.

hope this give you another option.
Oh and the cost was $30.00 total including bulbs and ballast. Most of the stuff i had around the house.

cheers

[ 30 May 2002, 22:00: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Scales
06-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Thanks for your help. My refugium is small (the surface area is 18 x 12, about 13 inches deep) as it is only for a 33 gallon. I will likely try the lighting store option for this one. When I set up the refugium on my 90 gallon, I will probably go with the J&L PC version.