PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

Hockeyman
12-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Hello there all...

I've been lurking on here for a while now and in the process of piecing together a 120G reef. But in the meantime I'm looking at setting up a nano tank to get my feet wet before jumping right into the 120G.

I found a used 35G tank on another forum I'm considering buying... The question I have for you all is that this tank I'm looking at is over 10 yrs old. I've been told its had water in it the whole time (used for turtles) and does not leak. The seller wants $50 but it looks in pretty rough shape and I'm thinking it may need to be resealed due to age.

What are all your thoughts? This a deal or possible waste of $$$?

steve fedyk
12-28-2010, 04:50 AM
I started with a 120G, some people thought I was going over board with that big of tank to start with. It worked out great for me, and is still running for 4 years now. I've done some up grades a long the way.

I think the 35G is to risky, might leak in no time.

Hockeyman
12-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Here's a pic of the tank... And the $50 includes the stand.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/101209/185r2/8724egj_20.jpeg

reefwars
12-28-2010, 07:45 AM
dont do it man not a good buy, 35g go for so cheap especially if its just the tank and that stand is nothing special.

my main concern would have been what was in the tank for the ten years whos to say it hasnt been dosed with copper and just waiting to leach out harmful stuff.

keep an eye out here or post an ad saying how much you have to spend and i guarantee youll get a better deal, if your in no hurry they will come along i see full sets all the time here for just a few hundred which is what you will throw in anyways if you buy just a tank.id buy an established tank fropm someone leaving the hobby(happens all the time)and sell off what you dont want or keep it for your 120 and change the tank to how you like.

for the most part smaller basic systems are more maintanance than larger ones just slightly cheaper

Skimmerking
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Hockey man, if you want a start off right. the first thing in salt water is not to
1. Don't RUSH
2. IMPULSE buy on fish and corals.
3. Research
4. Patience
5. SAVE
6. Patience
7.Read

Get my picture. the biggest thing with with Salt water is its less forgiving then freshwater. you can have a 5 degree change in your tank all the time with fresh water, or a Ammonia or nitrate problem its not that big of a deal. Since some Freshwater the PH is somewhat low in the 7 range. or Lest say neutral.

With Salt water you have alot of thing s that will change in a small tank. What I mean is things are going to change in a smaller tank faster then a Bigger tank. So that is why we tried to steer the newbie's towards a somewhat bigger tank. I'm not saying tha you are a newbie in the Fish Dept , However when we look at the way water works and how things change smaller isn't always better.

HENCE the smaller tank .....

WAIT for your size and go with the biggest you can get. DOn't just buy because you wanna start. Looking at that tank $50 bucks isnt that much and tha stand may come with it and you are getting a used tank tha may have had Copper that REEFWARS has stated you may not know what you are getting in to and Etc ETC.

There is lots of of great deals in Winnipeg. Heck i have a 50 gal you can have for $50 bucks and its brand new. I even have a 150 gal with the stand and trim if you are doing a inwall that I can sell to you for $400 bucks. its Euro Bracing around and open. if you need any help in what to buy ask here or Heck PM me your number I will call you. Im in Brandon.

Good luck

monocus
12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
take a look at the tanks at king eds-fairly good deals-and if you want to take a look at a running system,and everything involved,you can come down and look at my set-up-your not that far away from me

Skimmerking
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
take a look at the tanks at king eds-fairly good deals-and if you want to take a look at a running system,and everything involved,you can come down and look at my set-up-your not that far away from me
He's in Winnipeg Manitoba

Hockeyman
12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys...

You all confirmed my thoughts on that tank. I already have a 120G tank, 60 gallon sump, and a few other misc items already for my future in-wall setup. But like Skimmer King mentioned I've been taking things slow and waiting for the right equipment to come onto the used market.

The idea of the 35G was to have a nano to run and experience until I can actually setup the 120G. I was looking to transfer everything from the 35 to the 120 once it actually gets completed, I'm thinking a good 2-3 years at least.

So with that being said, I'll keep my eyes open for a better deal on a nano tank.

phi delt reefer
12-28-2010, 04:23 PM
if you are that set on starting a tank now AND your in wall wont be ready for the next couple years anyways, pick up a BIOCUBE or similar all in one reef ready aquarium system (check kijiji for a used one). comes with a skimmer, sufficient lighting/flow for softies.

problem with a smaller tank is the equipment you purchase for it is useless on a 120g setup.

if i were you just save and buy the BEST equipment you can for the 120g. you'll spend atleast $600 on setting up a nano reef (even a cheap one - check out nano-reef.com). Buy a Profilux Reef Controller or something you maybe didnt consider buying for you inwall with that money.

the great thing you find out about these forums is you learn alot about what not to do from the experience of others. you dont need to run a tank for a couple of years to become a decent reefer, you just need to read and observe (save some cash that way too :)). There are tons of "best practises" stories and articles on this site and others and after a couple months of just absorbing tank journals you'll see a pattern as to what works well and what doesnt.

BlueTang<3
12-28-2010, 04:25 PM
You must have a pjs pets or petssmart in your town yo can get a new 35 gallon for that price and build your own stand.

Hockeyman
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
So I ended up getting a 15G tank for free from my aunt... She had it out in her garage collecting dust. I cleaned it all out, threw it in the tub and leak tested. No leaks I'm glad to say. Painted it the back flat black, so the tank is ready.

Next I picked up an AC110 on sale, did the fuge mod to it and also made a compartment for a 50W heater to keep the display neat.

Now I'm at the point of lighting... I have a few options in mind. I could either build a DIY LED pendant which I can in turn use on my 120G once its up and running. Or I could pick up a cheap Odyssea T5 or MH setup from Aquatraders. I guess it all depends if I'm going to keep the nano and 120G running at the same time. Anyone have any experience with Odyssea lighting?