PDA

View Full Version : DIY Food

kookie_guy
12-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Posted this on other forums, might as well post it here too....

I just recently started making my own food, and I'll never go back to premade/frozen food. I spent about $10 on fresh ingredients, and I made enough food to last close to a month. The supplements will raise the cost a bit, but they ensure the fish get their vitamins. The fish LOVE the variety in every feeding.

I make my food from...

1) fresh shrimp (2-3 med size ones)
2) squid (1 small squid)
3) clams (3 medium ones)
4) mysis (I admit, I do use the frozen stuff here, 5 cubes)
5) scallops (about 15 of the little ones, you can use the big ones too)
6) nori sheets (half a sheet of the purple one)
7) cyclops-eze (about 2 tablespoons worth)
8 ) Kent Marine Zoe (1 teaspoon)
9) Seachem Garlic Guard (1 tablespoon)
10) Vita-chem marine (1 tablespoon)

- Chop up ingredients 1-5, and combine them in a container.
- Take your nori sheet, and soak them in some aquarium water. Once they become soft, chop it up, and add to the container.
- Add your cyclops-eze
- Add your vitamins and garlic (8-10) and mix it all really well.

Personally, I used a tablespoon to spoon the mixture into ice cube trays. I feed about a tablespoon at a time, so I made ready to feed cubes. When they freeze, I put them into an airtight container (trust me, the smell is not the greatest, lol). Another option is to fill ziploc bags with some of the mixture, press them flat as you seal them, and make big sheets. Then just break off what you need at feeding time. Personally I find the cube method easier.

Anyhoo, my fish absolutely love the stuff.

kookie_guy
12-27-2010, 03:03 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention, is to make sure you give your fresh ingredients a good rinse in RO water before you chop em up.