PDA

View Full Version : new project input

StirCrazy
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Ok I am going to start two new projects the first being a new Ca reactor to replace the one I broke and the second a new skimmer.

what I want to put out is a call of any ideas/features for the new projects. I want to take the best parts of one out there and come up with a new design that will be good.

so anyone who likes specific things about Ca reactors or skimmers they have used let me know and explain why to help me get a better idea as to why this might be something I want.

thanks
Steve

BCOrchidGuy
12-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Simplicity is the thing I look for most, ease of tuning etc. For the skimmer I've found a couple of sites that recommend a pvc cap with a few holes drilled in it instead of the beckett style, they usually have a small air hole above the water level to help get the crazy aeration going.
For the Ca Reactor, simplicity again, make it easy to get the pump on and off, I liked the one I made where there wasn't tubes running all over hells half acre. The water in went into the side of the Ca reactor, and the water back to the pump came from the opposite side but I had a 90 degree elbow so the water back actually came from inside the reactor media. I just covered it with a sponge filter too keep the media out. Worked like a charm, I'll be building another one soon and will take pics this time.

Doug

Bryan
12-19-2003, 01:41 AM
A couple of small things that I incorporate in my projects. Keyhole flanges, nylon thumbscrews(no bolts to mess with), o-ring gaskets for sealing.

kari
12-19-2003, 03:59 AM
A couple of small things that I incorporate in my projects. Keyhole flanges, nylon thumbscrews(no bolts to mess with), o-ring gaskets for sealing.

I agree, bolts suck and thumb screws rock. Quality fittings are valuable. I also liked the idea of a Ca Reactor probe holder from RC for quicker effulent ph and flow measurements. Maybe this can be somehow incorporated.

Kari

Silverfish
12-19-2003, 06:25 AM
I really think you should make a self cleaning skimmer that will work for tanks from 10g to approx 900g. what chya think? :razz:

oh ya, silent operation is a plus, as is compact design... lemme know what you come up with. :black:

ldzielak
01-13-2004, 07:06 AM
I want a skimmer for my 180 that runs of a T4 or T3. That way I can mke it dead quiet. Don't know if that would be enough flow for a becket or not.

Lee

IslandReefer
01-13-2004, 07:36 AM
I want a skimmer for my 180 that runs of a T4 or T3. That way I can mke it dead quiet. Don't know if that would be enough flow for a becket or not.

Lee
I don't know, for sure yet; but I wrote Precission Marine and asked if a T4 would run a Bullit3 and they said no problem. A T4 and a DIY beckett is in the plans for me so....we'll soon see.
John

ldzielak
01-13-2004, 04:42 PM
John,

I have a T4 on my chiller closed loop. I also tried it as a return pump for a bit, replacing my MAK4, flow was about 10% less with approx 5' of head. Also tried it on my ETSS800, dual down draft, but the flow was not even close to what it needed.

From what I have found on the web for numbers the T3 may be the pressure version and the T4 for flow. I'm thinking of getting a T3 to try and see what it can do.

The T4 pump was very close to my LG 4MDXQC. From all the pumps I have had, I made a excel file with my tested/estimated pump curves. I'm just not sure if a T3 or T4 will be enough. Please let me know.

Link (http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a92965/fish/Pump_Flows.xls)

Lee