PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Calgary cut concrete?

lastlight
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
My only basement window is like 2 feet wide. Super tiny.

Obviously a window like this won't fit a 4 foot wide sheet of gl... drywall through it. I told the wife I need a bigger window for renos next year.

Anyone local setup to do this for a good price? I'll need to fit one of those wider contractor windows in there.

Delphinus
12-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I looked into this for my tank room a while back (that has no window at all). I can't remember who all I talked to but most concrete coring companies I talked to were able to do it no problem. I seem to recall it would have cost about $750 for what I wanted done and assuming I'd do all the prep work (ie., dig a big hole) myself.

lastlight
12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah I recall you saying that Tony. I'm hoping I can get it done cheaper but we'll see. Think you and your glass bit wanna put in some serious OT? :lol:

MitchM
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Cutting a concrete wall gets really messy. They use a concrete saw with water cooling. The saw needs to be bolted to the wall for the process.
Do you have a finished basement?

Mitch

lastlight
12-23-2010, 10:31 PM
No it's unfinished. I'd seal the inner area with poly before they started too.

MitchM
12-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I've used A-1 Concrete coring for a customers basement window before.
They were on time, quick and knew what they were doing.
Digging the outside hole and fitting the window well was the hard part. (my part:lol:)
(It was partially under a deck....:razz:)

Mitch

lastlight
12-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah I certainly have no issue with some manual labour and prepwork. I have the tightest stairs in the world and this window will be a lifesaver. That particular side of the basement will be a tv room for the kids too so I want a window large enough to climb out of.

Pazil
12-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Which way are the floor joists running above the window? If the foundation wall is carrying the load of the floor above ie. floor joists running perpendicular to the foundation wall, then you will need to build a wall with a properly sized lintel and supporting jacks prior to having the window opening enlarged. If the joists are running parallel to the foundation wall then you will be OK to just cut the opening larger. This project will also require a permit from the city regardless.
Let me know if you need any further information.

phi delt reefer
12-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Yeah I certainly have no issue with some manual labour and prepwork. I have the tightest stairs in the world and this window will be a lifesaver. That particular side of the basement will be a tv room for the kids too so I want a window large enough to climb out of.

lastlight - check out kijiji for a "man with backhoe" ad. Alot of guys who own those really small stand on back hoes (not the large tractor versions) usually offer their services for like 50-65 an hour (atleast they do here in london). Economy sucks, everyone is looking for work. Or you can call one of those "hire a labourer for a day" services - you have to pay cash at the end of the day to each guy but they extremely cheap (almost minimum wage cheap) and small contractors use them all the for salvage/cleanup work that they cant afford to pay their technical guys for. Just make sure you have everyone sign a 0 liability clause if anything happens to them while they work on your property.

lastlight
12-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Yeah the joists run perp to the window opening. I hadn't really looked at it too closely yet but it looks odd. The concrete does not extend all the way up the opening and over the top of the window. The top of the window is level with doubled up 2x4s that seem to run around the concrete perimeter. There are two floor joists that are above the existing window and they don't rest on 2x4 and concrete. Looks like they are just sitting on the 2x4s which go over where the window is. Not sure if the opening can be widened and an additional joist can be resting on those 2x4s. This condo is older and some things look...weird. I'll have to get someone to look at it.