PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Reef LED

Jackie
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Just ordered one.
I am excited to see if I can grow coral under it.
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/27/reef-capable-led-marineland-lighting-fixtures-released/

gucci17
12-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Just ordered one.
I am excited to see if I can grow coral under it.
http://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/27/reef-capable-led-marineland-lighting-fixtures-released/

I think it's already pushing it if it can grow LPS. Please keep us posted. Would like to know how it turns out.

paddyob
12-23-2010, 08:40 PM
I have actually wondered about these. Have seen them around but sceptical for the cost. It seems "the good ones" are really REALLY expensive.

Outside of seeing them on a shelf in store... thats all I know about them.

I am going to follow along.

Please let us know what you think and how they work.

outacontrol
12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
what size did you order? and where did you order it from?

Jackie
12-23-2010, 11:37 PM
It is a 18" for my Solana. I got it from JL.

what size did you order? and where did you order it from?

outacontrol
12-23-2010, 11:41 PM
excellent I have been watching for the 36" model to come available.

rtram
12-24-2010, 06:39 AM
got them in either yesterday or today at big als, saw some of them over top of larger cubes, wasn't necessarily impressive. output of par is minimal as well, especially for taller aquariums. no adjustable dimmers, but you can turn either blue or white on, or both.

but it is a nice, slim and compact unit. won't grow the most light intensive of corals, but for its price, wouldn't expect it to.

Jackie
12-24-2010, 06:45 AM
got them in either yesterday or today at big als, saw some of them over top of larger cubes, wasn't necessarily impressive. output of par is minimal as well, especially for taller aquariums. no adjustable dimmers, but you can turn either blue or white on, or both.

but it is a nice, slim and compact unit. won't grow the most light intensive of corals, but for its price, wouldn't expect it to.

Are you sure they are the "Reef Bright"? I saw Big Als only has Single Bright and Double Bright ones.

rtram
12-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Yup. They are the reef brights.

hlywd
12-24-2010, 08:13 AM

I saw the same ones yesterday there. They were $365, $255 on boxing day. I took a look, asked a question (which I didn't get a straight answer for) and walked away. They seemed a little too good to be true on the box. But I'm really looking forward to hearing more about them!

Ian
12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I have one on my mantis tank...par meter ordered will get some readings ASAP and post them. I don't think it is adeqaute for SPS though just from the the appearance of it.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Actually the LED's are not too bad

I metered them to my 18" CurrentUSA 2xT5ho fixture, and the single bright were comparable at the bottom at a ratimg og about ~300 which was about the same of the T5's at 16" height

The double brights were not quite double, but at the bottom they rates about 525

Tested the 150 HQI / T5 dixtures on a 28" tank too, and they were about 800 on the bottom

Ken - BWA

Jackie
01-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Here is the side by side photo.
KEY aquarium LED on the left.
Marineland Reef LED on the right. It may appear brighter due to cloudy water(added sand).
First look, the Marineland Reef LED seems whiter and too focus.
I will get another photo when the water clears up.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Bdkca4dIJ6A/TR_MKTQWcMI/AAAAAAAAANQ/WMqx-jDOzps/s640/DSC_0005.jpg

mseepman
01-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Could you tell me more about your key LED fixture? How are you liking it.

Jackie
01-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Could you tell me more about your key LED fixture? How are you liking it.

I like it a lot. Everything looks better.
Soft coral are growing and my BTA is doing ok.
I have a bit brown algae problem but I got that with other lights too.
My KEY aquarium LED is older version with only one power cord so I can not put it on timer to control different mode.
For a FOWLR tank, I don't feel like spending over $100 every year for new bulbs.
I am no expert, but as a consumer, I will put my money on LED.

Jackie
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Sent back for warranty. Blue LED won't stay on.
It is only 3 months and have to pay $30 shipping. :twised:

blkhwk
03-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah wouldnt be happy with that either:sad: