PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mystery noise

asylumdown
12-23-2010, 05:39 PM
About 5 months ago, I started noticing a strange noise coming from my reef. At first it only happened after the lights went out, but now it sometimes happens during the day as well.

It sounds like a series of sharp, fast knocks, with a resonating quality that makes them sound like a knock mixed with a super sharp frog's croak. Usually 4-6 in a row. Sometimes it's really loud, as though a small hammer is banging on the glass, other times it's quite muffled. You can hear it 20 feet from the aquarium.

I've not added any new live rock in a year, so whatever is making the noise must have pretty much been a larvae when it arrived.

It happens at least once a day, but sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. A couple days ago I was scraping the sides of the glass when it started - it sounded like it was coming from 2 inches in front of my face, but I couldn't see anything. In fact I've never seen anything, it always sounds like it's coming from behind the rockwork (the side I can't see).

I've narrowed it down to either a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp. I have lots of hermit crabs, and at least 3 other species of crab that hitch-hiked in, as well as several cleaner shrimp. None of them are disappearing so it makes me think it's not a mantis shrimp? I've never heard a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp before though. Any advice?

paddyob
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I have had the same thing in my tank for almost 5 years.

From what I understand.... and Mantis experts please feel free to correct me... but what I understand is that a Mantis would probably be out and about at some time. They are a predator so it only makes sense that they show themselves at some point... particularly if the tank is being fed.

pirate
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
My pistol shrimp makes most of his noise at night when lights go out. Its a fairly loud snap ( think tank cracking). Mines paired up with a Gobi but I don't see him or the gobi much (new tank and tank mates). If you have a pistol pair him up with a gobi and maybe you'll see him at a later time.

asylumdown
12-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Is it a single noise? Or is it a sequence of cracks? When it's really loud it sounds like the tank is about to bust open, but it's always a series of them. The first one is usually slightly quieter than the rest as well, almost like the thing that's making the noise is 'warming up'.

doch
12-23-2010, 06:43 PM
DO you ever notice any piles of sand where a burrow has been dug? Either way, I'd say it's gotta be a pistol. The piles of sand would somewhat verify that (IMO). One of mine fires rapidly several times... the other is an occasional single crack.

pirate
12-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Sometimes it just one, and some times its a lots. I think it depends on what he is doing? If he is out looking for food then usually its multiple snaps. He stuns what ever he is going to eat, and then eats it. But if its in a shell like a snail or hermit crab be breaks open the shell with his claw. I have found broken shells arouond the old tank. If he is making his home (under the rock work) he will push out all the sand in to piles by his entrance to his home, and he will drag little bits of rock and empty snail shells to make a solid entrance way for him. And then its usually just 1 snap.
Before I moved into the new tank I use to see my shrimp and gobi all the time. It was neat to see, if you saw the gobi you saw the shrimpa few mins later and the gobi would just watch him to make sure it was safe for him.

paddyob
12-23-2010, 07:02 PM
What ever is in mine has NEVER shown itself. I kid you not... it came on a rock in my original 20 gallon. I have since moved the rocks 3 times (tank leak, moved, upgrade to larger tank) and he comes along for the ride.

I never have broken shells and as for dead hermits or snails... nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone loses a snail here or there... and in almost 5 years I have only added extra snails since upgrading.

I am wondering if maybe he is a super small species or something? HUGE sound from the cracking though. It used to worry me, but now I could care less.

Anyone know how to find these buggers? I have no leads to a burrow or anything.

I am interested to find him as it seems this topic comes up quite frequently.

pirate
12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
When mine was in my biocube I saw him regulary, but now that I moved into the 150 G I havent seen him at all. I dont even know where is burrow is! I know he is still alive as I hear him clicking. I also did not see the gobi for almost a month when I added new fish to the cube and its been almost another month with out see him in the 150 G, I saw him for the first time in almost 2 months at the start of the week.
If its a pistol shrimp you will not see him unless he is paired up with a gobi. But there is no garrinty you will see him after he is paired up with a gobi, they could only show up behind the rock work where you wont see them.

pirate
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
As well if the gobi is scared in the new tank you wont see them. When mine were in the cube if the gobi got spooked they both went back into the burrow and waited till the gobi thought it was safe again. He is the eyes for the two of them. Its a strange marriage.

kien
12-23-2010, 07:22 PM
my tank makes knocking noises too and it is typically always a large hermit crab banging his shell on the glass.

globaldesigns
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I would say a mantis shrimp, but the fact you have a frog's croak sound baffles me.

I too have the knocks, I have had it since the beginning, so I think I got a mantis from the LR, never seen it, nor have I ever seen any piles of sand. So I am thinking it lives on the backside of my rockwork.

The Frog's Croak really baffles me, I don't shrimp croak!

abcha0s
12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I get the loud clicks/knocks coming from the rocks in my sump. I've never seen the source. I've always been curious though.

asylumdown
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I would say a mantis shrimp, but the fact you have a frog's croak sound baffles me.

I too have the knocks, I have had it since the beginning, so I think I got a mantis from the LR, never seen it, nor have I ever seen any piles of sand. So I am thinking it lives on the backside of my rockwork.

The Frog's Croak really baffles me, I don't shrimp croak!

I suppose frog's croak was the wrong way to describe it. I mean that it sounds like more than just two hard surfaces tapping together, there's a resonance to it that gives it an extra "something". It might just be the echo the sound makes bouncing around the inside of the tank.

At first I was terrified that it was something banging on the glass of the aquarium and that it might break, but I couldn't reproduce the sound by knocking against the glass with anything (I probably looked like an idiot trying to do it too).

I suppose I shouldn't worry about it unless things start disappearing.

jorjef
12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Do you have Bangii cardinals?. After I sold all the fish from my tank and got a little bored of looking at corals I bought two Bangii and ever since I have heard a similar sounds...Best I can describe is it like hearing from a distance a large marble banging around in a glass jar filled with water.. kind of a muffled sound. I think I have two males and the sound seems be around the time one fish is pestering the other.

Magma
12-23-2010, 09:35 PM
I get a double click throughout the day, lights on, lights off doesnt matter and its always Click Click then nothing, sounds like its near where my spray bar is but I have never seen sand piles or anything even after lights out I have checked.

No dead snails or shrimp either so i dont know what it could be

doch
12-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Oddly enough, I see both of mine all the time... if I don't see them when I look in the tank, I start to get a little worried. One is paired with a yellow watchman, the other is a lone soldier. It will definetly get more outgoing though if you throw a shrimp goby in there with it... IF it's a pistol.

toytech
12-23-2010, 10:12 PM
any damsles in your tank my 3 stripe croaked / clicked at other fish in my tank all the time

russp
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
A very small pistol can make a very big noise , I was running a canister filter when I first started my tank & one day when cleaning the filter I came across a pistol shrimp that was about 3/8 -1/2 of an inch . I put him in a 10gal that I have set up & ever since the snapping started in that tank too , & it is loud enough to be heard all through the house at night. Also turbo snails can make a very similar noise by spinning there shells back & forth quickly & hitting the glass . I have witnessed this a number of times.

asylumdown
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Mystery solved!

During the day, my turbo snails cluster against the glass beside the heater in the corner where it's shaded. I was finally looking right at one when it puffed it's shell far away from it's body and started spinning it rapidly. Now that I know to watch, I've seen them do it a couple of times. When the shell only knocks against other snails (Is it a territorial thing?), it makes a softer, more muted noise. When it's right against the glass, the knocking sounds like the tank is about to bust open.

It sounds like the sounds is coming from 2 feet from where the snails are making the noise. Acoustics are nuts.