PDA

View Full Version : Becket style skimmer

Jason McK
12-18-2003, 05:43 PM
Can I put a Becket style skimmer in my sump? I have limited space and currently have a Berlin hang-on style, I'm not very happy with it.
I would ideally like to build a Becket then have it in the sump. I do manual water top offs so throughout the day there will be some water level loss. Any help or links on this would be very help full

Thanks
Jason

Aquattro
12-18-2003, 05:51 PM
In sump is perfectly fine. And the water level is controlled by the gate valve, not the sump level (for our purposes anyway). I used to run mine in sump for a long time.

Jason McK
12-18-2003, 08:21 PM
If I were to go DIY on this what special or not so special tools does one need to cut the tubing and the acrylic. I currently have a Dremel, and jig saw. any think else

J

IslandReefer
12-18-2003, 10:40 PM
I am also looking into a DIY beckett skimmer. From the plans I have seen, I would suggest a circle cutting attachment for the dremel. This should help in making "perfectly" circular flanges, O-ring grooves and the larger holes.
Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps
John

Jason McK
12-18-2003, 10:55 PM
This is a link I just found with some really good Skimmer info.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/thoughts/

J

Canadian Man
12-19-2003, 12:23 AM
I am also looking into a DIY beckett skimmer. From the plans I have seen, I would suggest a circle cutting attachment for the dremel. This should help in making "perfectly" circular flanges, O-ring grooves and the larger holes.
Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps
John

Just FYI the circle cutter attachment for the dremal doesn't work on the standard dremal. You have to have the other one. Sorry I forget the name now.

LostMind
12-19-2003, 07:41 AM
I have some experience cutting acrylic with a dremel (it's just about the only tool I have!). Even with a decent work area, its tough to make nice cuts. You will be sanding for quite some time to get a good cut.

If you can get it cut by someone who has a table saw or such, it would be much easier I think.

Jack
12-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Let me know if you need any help.

IslandReefer
12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
This is a link I just found with some really good Skimmer info.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~cap/raid/skimmers/thoughts/

J
Thanks jakets...great theory, answered a few functional questions
I had. For REAL zelots you could probably computor model the perfect skimmer from that nasty formula LoL
John