PDA

View Full Version : CRAP!!

Borderjumper
12-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Art and I walked down to get a coffee last evening and came home to the ATO alarm buzzing and the smell of burnt electronics.

Frickin bottom cracked on my display tank! We did luck out I guess as only the return section of the sump was dry and the display was down about 5 inches.. Coulda been worse I guess. Spent the next 6 hours emptying what water was left, finding fishes, and busting corals off of rocks and putting them in a bin. All the rock is stacked up on my deck... Everything mechanical on my tanks is pretty much foolproof..except the bottom busting out!

Mrfish55
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Ouch, at least you caught it in time, I had a bottom go once at two in the morning, 75 gal of water on the floor in about 1/2 a second, On a positive, time for an upgrade.

muck
12-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Damn Shelly.. that sucks harsh.
Hope all the fish and corals pulls through for you without incident.

Skimmerking
12-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Ah Shell Sorry to here about that you have a amazing tank full of corals and wow, i'm glad that none of them were KIA Killed in action:cry:.

Good luck hope that you find a nother tank that you can house your corals in

Borderjumper
12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys.. Brads coming over later and is taking the fish and some corals.

ALang
12-23-2010, 04:44 PM
WOW, what a nightmare! I always jump whenever I hear little pops, or crashes (from my cats, playing) that my over-imaginative mind would then translate into crack in my tanks.
Good luck with the clean up. Better luck with the next tank for sure!

christyf5
12-23-2010, 04:56 PM
crap indeed! that totally sucks! at least you werent gone long. any warranty on the tank??

i have an empty 90 here if needed??

Borderjumper
12-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Ouch, at least you caught it in time, I had a bottom go once at two in the morning, 75 gal of water on the floor in about 1/2 a second, On a positive, time for an upgrade.

Thanks christy but right now I can't make myself set up another tank.. Warrenty? I don't know what seastar offers.. But the tank is up for grabs.. Before I sledge hammer it and finish the job

tang daddy
12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear this happened, good thing you guys came home from a walk and found this instead of sleeping and finding it in the morning, I made the mistake of using 2 stealth 250w heaters in my sump and by fluke at 3 am a few months back was woken up by screams of a fire on my tank.... I ran up the stairs and saw there was a fire underwater in my sump, I am greatfull that no corals died from the toxic fumes of melting plastic and the 2x4 stand didn't catch on fire.... The house could've burnt down with people sleeping in it!

I use titanium heaters now!

Aquattro
12-23-2010, 05:49 PM
i have an empty 90 here if needed??

I have an empty 90 as well, and a 115. and tubs and buckets. Shelley, I can probably house some rock too, I've got a tub half full with leftover rock.

Delphinus
12-23-2010, 06:15 PM
That blows!! Sorry to hear. :( Best of luck sorting it all out.

lastlight
12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
How do bottoms blow out and not ALL the water is on the floor?

Really sorry to hear about this. Stay with us though!

Borderjumper
12-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Brad just left with the fish and a cooler of corals.. Thanks again Brad!

paddyob
12-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Yea I wonder about bottoms breaking too. I thought tempered glass was strong. Or is it just hard?

I always cringe when I see someone with a bare bottom tank. All I see in my head is a slow motion...

"Nooooooooo...... don't drop that roooooooooocccccckkkkkk!"

Either way, sorry for your luck. Hope everything goes better.

Buy yourself a nice BIG Christmas present.

fishytime
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM
wow! sorry to hear about your tank troubles Shelly:neutral:....small consolation at this point but at least everything alive has made it so far....

Youngster Dan
12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
wow. That blows.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask me. Hopefully everything turns out for the best.

Lance
12-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Holy crap Shelly! I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully the livestock makes it through ok.

Aquattro
12-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Fish are acclimating, unfortunately the chromis didn't make it on th etrip home. apparently he was really old...

Borderjumper
12-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks Brad, ya the chromes came to me as an adult 5 years ago.. So it was just his time.. He had really slowed down the last month, it was expected. I hope the tangs do well for you.. They really are awesome fish :sad: was the closest smilie I could find for a sad smile.

Aquattro
12-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Shelley, the tangs are doing great. The yellow was on his side in the bucket, but quickly came back when I agitated the water. Right now he is "tolerating" my yellow chasing him, which is funny, mine is 20% smaller and having no effect.
The corals are still getting unpacked, but I tell ya, I may throw some of mine out to make room :)

Snappy
12-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Shelley, I hope things get sorted out for you quickly. No time is convenient for something like that but we are all even busier at Christmas. Good luck with everything.

fishoholic
12-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear that, that really sucks! I am glad though that Brad is able to help you out.

Borderjumper
12-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks everyone.. It does kinda make it better.

The mess is now mostly cleaned up, we kinda made the sump into a tank by overfilling it and t'ing off the pump so it sucks from the middle and returns on both chambers on the ends. I can keep my mushrooms and zoas in there under some cheap t5s strips I have..they won't prosper but they will live.

I have one bin of rock with attached zoas to put away, then tomorrow I I'll try and rearrange the frag tank so stuff thrown in there will be ok for a While.

I have a couple hundred pounds of rock sitting on my deck.. At least it stinks out there and not in here!

We lucked out in as far as the water didn't damage the suite down below us. our carpet is drying out nicely, but is kinda stiff and salty lol

If you don't have insurance BUY some:sad: you never know how crap can happen in an instant.

PoonTang
12-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Hey Shelly I'm really sad to hear about the tank it was so cool when I saw it last. A true loss. Let me know if I can help out with anything.

Cameron
12-24-2010, 01:38 AM
If you don't have insurance BUY some:sad: you never know how crap can happen in an instant.

Our condo insurance is about $300/yr.

Most worth it after a pipe broke in the kitchen and caused $80,000 in damages.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Having gone through a tank crackup recently myself, I totally feel for you. But, like you said, it could have been worse. At least it was a quick coffee break & not a long Christmas shopping trip or working all day. Coming back so soon saved most of your livestock & kept the damage (I'm assuming) to a reasonable, if messy & wet, amount.

Good luck with whatever you decide in the future. I know I had to think long and hard about whether I wanted to set up another tank after the 220g blew on me.

Give it a few days and don't make any hasty decisions you might regret later.

Merry Christmas,

Anthony

Palmer
12-24-2010, 03:38 PM
At least it was a quick coffee break & not a long Christmas shopping trip or working all day.

Yes very sorry to hear about the accident. I am sitting here in North Carolina think OMG my system will be toast if this happens to me over the holiday. :scared:

Palmer

Borderjumper
12-24-2010, 05:08 PM
yeah, it could have happened Christmas day while we were gone all day, or in the middle of the night as I doubt we would have heard it.

Things are drying and corals and fish are safe, and somehow the building drank the water.. Talked to the people downstairs and nothing there, so the carpet and padding must have sponged most of it.

Were going to move some lights around today and put an extra one over the frag tank.. As it's stocked to the very edges with coral, and frag racks along every edge.. All in all it was 24 hrs of panic and clean up.. Now as Anthony said.. Just trying to decide what I want to do.. Thank you all again and

RIP Display tank
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0654.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0650.jpg

Sump is now my zoa tank :(
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0651-2.jpg

Skimmerking
12-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Shelly you think it was from the pick styofoam being compressed so much that there wasnt any give left. i hope all the ric's and Acans made it

Borderjumper
12-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm actually leaning towards the pink foam did not compress at all.. Giving no support. I will be able to tell better after we take the tank off of the stand and are able to see the impression.. If any.

Ric's seem ok in their sump hole.. And the acans were in the RSM.