PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for lighting a five foot tank...

hlywd
12-23-2010, 05:33 AM
So after a year of using a 54g corner tank with a canister filter I acquired in 'used' status I'm finally in the process of upgrading. Everyone told me how cheap, easy, and forgettable this hobby is, and I've fallen hook, line and sinker for it (no pun intended). At any rate, I'm really looking to upgrade into a 150 to 180 gallon tank, and there's a perfect spot in my house. The only issue being, it would fit 6' but I think a 5' would look ALOT nicer. The main thing I'm worried about is the lighting. To build a 180, the tank would have to be about 28" deep being 5 feet across. After talking to a couple lfs they both quickly told me that a four foot light would work. So here's my question(s)-will a four foot light work on a five foot tank being 28" deep? Also, what would you recommend for lighting in this tank (I'm leaning toward some type of mh 250)? Also, if anyone has any applicable lights for sale, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

outacontrol
12-23-2010, 05:48 AM
the nicest tank I have ever seen is a six footer with a five foot light fiture on it.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58318&page=15

mr_alberta
12-23-2010, 05:52 AM
You could always get a 5' Tek Light......

Dez
12-23-2010, 05:55 AM
I have a 5' tank. I light it with 3 halides and 80 watt t5s. Works well.

The Grizz
12-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Not to rain on your upgrade parade but who ever told you this hobby was cheap needs a kick in the nuts. :lol:

It is far from cheap but there are was of doing thing a little less expensive. I have been looking at getting some new MH / T5 lights and was told about this online store from a few members that have purchased from them. Worth a look at least.

www.aquatraders.com

hlywd
12-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm hoping to be able to get into the sps realm, and want to be able to have the option to place them wherever I might want to in the tank, and not be limited to the top third in the middle of the tank. I would definitely be very interested in LEDs, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what type of intensity I would need as compared to a typical mh or t5ho. I currently have a 24" wavepoint on my tank, and everything I need to grow seems to be happy (mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, torch etc etc). I obviously need a stronger light for a bigger, deeper tank, but I just don't know where to start to compare. Especially in the led realm. So....anymore input would be great! Also, any opinions on specific brands that I should lean toward?
Thanks again!

hlywd
12-23-2010, 07:31 AM
I have a 5' tank. I light it with 3 halides and 80 watt t5s. Works well.

Do u have any pics of the setup? What brands did you go with, if you don't mind me asking? Also, how deep is your tank, and do you have any heat issues?

hlywd
12-23-2010, 07:32 AM
You could always get a 5' Tek Light......

Is this a brand of light? What kind of light is it?

mr_alberta
12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Is this a brand of light? What kind of light is it?

A Tek light is a model of T5 fixtures made by Sunlight Supply.

reefwars
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Do u have any pics of the setup? What brands did you go with, if you don't mind me asking? Also, how deep is your tank, and do you have any heat issues?

All the info you could ever want on dez's tank is on the home page as his tank is tank of the month:)

globaldesigns
12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Look at the Hamilton Belize Fixture. I have the five foot model myself. It is a wicked fixture. Top quality as hamilton does, and very sexy looking.

I had JL bring mine in from the US, and I had it in about 7 business days, and it was only about $1080 for the fixture, bulbs, shipping (EVERYTHING IN). I got to choose the bulbs and the ballasts, I went with the 250W ballasts. Also comes with the legs or hanging kit.

Basically, it was a monster package and I didn't need to buy anything else. I would highly recommend this.

Here is the link to what I got: http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/item/BELIZE-SUN---5-FT-HQI-+-High-Output-T5-+-LED-Lighting-Systems-1723

sphelps
12-23-2010, 05:18 PM
A four foot fixture will work fine, if possible get one with halides that can be moved, that way you can spread them apart a little more to cover the tank more evenly. I ran a 4 foot on on a 54" tank and loved it, 3" more on each side won't make much difference.

Dez
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Here's a link to the beginning of my lighting set up in my tank journal. If you keep reading on you'll see that I modified it from 48" to 60" later on and changed the middle light to a 250 watt. Gives you an idea. I have a full sps tank now, for more info you can also look at the Tank of the Month link. I have sps growing sitting on the sand bed and it's a 24" tank. Hope this helps.