PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Illumina - those that have - would you agree

wayner
12-22-2010, 08:45 PM
See the last page - 12 " model of the Vertex Illumina - over a 30 x 30 Tank - this is the first model that came out, now there equipped with Cree's.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884674

purelife
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
What are we to be agreeing on?

wayner
12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
The coverage- a 12" fixture covering 30 X 30 with the possibility of 36 X 36 area - wondering how high the fixture needs to be for this, seems this would definatley effect par.

albert_dao
12-22-2010, 11:46 PM
That's the only 1' unit in the States and the only Illumina that Premium received. Jeremy put that unit over his friend's tank as a gift.

Given the choice, I'd run a 24" (SR200-600) unit over the 36" x 36".

Also, keep in mind that there are two versions, the SR200 and the SR260. The SR260's are at least 30% brighter than the SR200's. Depending on what you're keeping, an SR260-300 (1') may be a feasible option.

phi delt reefer
12-23-2010, 12:00 AM
the picture is decieving because it just shows the light "lighting up" the entire tank - but does not provide par numbers for the entire foot print. Think of all the freshwater tanks using a single t12 to light the entire tank. Yeah it looks bright but par numbers fall quickly as you get further from the centre of the diode.

In the DIY 3w led fixtures the users are running the diodes at like 1.x watts with good size heat sinks and fans and spreading them over the entire top of the tank to get great PAR all over.

Do the VERTEX units drive the LEDs at a higher wattage to increase par in the drop off area outside of the centre light channel? Great looking fixture but I am skeptical about the LED placement.

albert_dao
12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
the picture is decieving because it just shows the light "lighting up" the entire tank - but does not provide par numbers for the entire foot print. Think of all the freshwater tanks using a single t12 to light the entire tank. Yeah it looks bright but par numbers fall quickly as you get further from the centre of the diode.

In the DIY 3w led fixtures the users are running the diodes at like 1.x watts with good size heat sinks and fans and spreading them over the entire top of the tank to get great PAR all over.

Do the VERTEX units drive the LEDs at a higher wattage to increase par in the drop off area outside of the centre light channel? Great looking fixture but I am skeptical about the LED placement.

The LED's are driven at 2.3W on the Illumina. The entire unit is a big heat sink with an internal dispersion channel that is cooled with SilenX fans (20+ CFM per fan).

The placement of the array was designed the way it was for a few reasons:

1. As a cluster, white light has better aesthetics as they mimic the single source intensity of a MH. Tanks look different under the Illumina than they do under other LED fixtures. The shimmer is also stronger.

2. Reduced light spill; putting an led 2" away from glass it is not really beneficial, unless you want to plant an SPS on the sand right up against the glass viewing panel. In which case, the Illumina apologizes for this constraint... lol

3. No spotting effect; with typical, spread-out arrays using lenses, often you will have a sterile uniformity over the length of the display with "hot spots" across the surface". The Illumina's coverage and spread is nearly identical to that of an MH fixture with good reflectors.

Delphinus
12-23-2010, 06:33 PM
I gotta say I'm a big fan of the Illumina's over other LED offerings so far. (I'm maybe not a huge fan of the price tag for the unit I'd want to put over my 280g though. :lol: But the smaller units though look like a huge win since the cost threshold is smaller.) I absolutely love the sunrise/sunset programs. Wowza. Nice stuff.

OscarMeyer
02-02-2011, 04:01 AM
I would say that the 12" model would be maxed at 30x30, you could pull off a 36x36 but the outter edges would not have enough lighting or enough par to grow anything.

I have the 24" illumina and I'm Planning on hanging it above a 36"x30"x20" i think there will be more then enough coverage on the light, and as for par I dont have exact readings, although im sure there will be enough power to grow just about anything.

As it sits right now i have the light hanging about 6" off the water and have it turned down to 30% and even still i think i may turn it down more cause, i still have some bleaching still happening, hanging on a RSM 130D, so a foot print of 24x15x20ish?

This light kicks butt! :lol:

lastlight
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
That's the only 1' unit in the States and the only Illumina that Premium received. Jeremy put that unit over his friend's tank as a gift.

Given the choice, I'd run a 24" (SR200-600) unit over the 36" x 36".

Also, keep in mind that there are two versions, the SR200 and the SR260. The SR260's are at least 30% brighter than the SR200's. Depending on what you're keeping, an SR260-300 (1') may be a feasible option.

To read it explained like that certainly makes these units more appealing in my head thanks Albert. So the units behave more like point sources...well one incredibly strong line source like a single super t5. We get shimmer and less heat and energy used.

TheDogFather
02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
A 1' fixture over a 30" tank is not enough coverage IMO. You will need at least the 24" fixture for a 30" tank but ideally the 36" Illumina to get 100% useful coverage end-to-end.

I am building a new 24"x20"x10" frag tank and am planning on adding a 24" 260 over it.

Cheers!

-TDF