PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Puratek RO Unit Questions

Madreefer
12-22-2010, 07:34 PM
A while back I got burned on this RO unit from a scumbag store in Abbotsford that is no longer around. Anyways I complained about it and the guy sent me a new membrane. The new one is for 100GPD the one I took out is for 50GPD. So how do I know what my RO unit is rated for? 50 or 100. Also when is it time to change out the filters and DI resin? And are all the cartridges compatible? Since changing the membrane from the 50 to the 100 I seem to have to clean my glass more often and wondering if this is a part of the reason why.

sphelps
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I though all Vertex Puratek ROs used 100GPD membranes, perhaps this was your problem in the first place? Even the 200 unit uses two 100GPD membranes.

Madreefer
12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
The problem I had was totally different subject. I was sent a used "store tester" unit that was not supposed to be sold to the public. The unit works good but just curious if I should assume it is 100gpd or when it is the right time to change the filter cartridges. How do you tell when it is time?

sphelps
12-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I would just use the 100gpd membrane, I'm sure the unit is probably built for it anyway so it shouldn't cause any problems. Also the easiest way to tell when to change filters is with a TDS meter, the vertex should have one built in right? Note your TDS with new filters and when it climbs too high for your liking change the pre-filters and DI. There is no exact guideline typically people just change them when they become uncomfortable with the TDS reading, for some that's anything above zero, others around 10, 20, 40 or even 60ppm. Other way is just to use the basic rule of thumb which is once a year. The RO membrane should only require replacing after about 5 years or so. You'll know it's time if you change your pre-filters and your TDS is still too high for your liking.

mr_alberta
12-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Do you have a TDS meter? That's the best way to tell when its time to change the cartridges. Also, there should be a flow restrictor on the waste water line (its this tiny trumpet looking thing inside the line). You may have to change that out if the original unit was a 50GPD unit and you changed it to a 100GDP unit.

albert_dao
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
The 100 gpd membrane is the correct part for that unit.

The store tester unit is built to the same spec as the consumer product with some minor changes, none of which have anything to do with the proper membrane sizing.

HTH

Madreefer
12-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Yes it has a built in TDS meter but it has not worked from day 1. After my resevoir is full and the unit is no longer making water the TDS meter eventually climbs up to 50PP within a couple of hours and stays that way even after it does it's 30sec flush. Which is why i'm always unsure on the cartridges or membrane. The valve that the TDS meter plugs in to used to be before the DI canister. I have since moved that valve so it is between the outflow of the DI canister and my resevoir. The DI should be the final stage that filtered water flows from, correct?

mike31154
12-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Your unit is rated for whatever membrane is in it, whether you put in a 50, 75 or 100. But as mr alberta mentioned in his post, when you change membranes to a different rating, you also need to get the appropriate flow restrictor, unless you have one of the newer adjustable flow restrictors which allows you to tweak the flow to match a certain membrane. A system with mismatched membrane & flow restrictor will work but not at its rated efficiency.

Madreefer
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks all! I dont see a flow restrictor on it. I decided I will change all of the filters except the membrane.

albert_dao
12-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Here's a video I made a bit back about the restrictor valve:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/prolineaquatics/PUBLIC/?action=view&current=PD100RestrictorValve.mp4

Madreefer
12-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks Albert! So is ok that I changed where my TDS meter is located?

And another question as well as a change of topic.
I have a Alpha Cone 250, I noticed in pics and a vid you have that there is a white adjuster thing on the end of the Red Dragon pumps. What is it for and is this something I should look in to? I have one of the first skimmers that came in to Canada so I guess it's an older version.

albert_dao
12-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Jeepers, lol. I wish you were local!

Give me a call tomorrow and we'll go through all this in detail :D

mike31154
12-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks all! I dont see a flow restrictor on it. I decided I will change all of the filters except the membrane.

In another previous post you mentioned something about finishing a 30 second 'flush'. How is that done? If your system has a manual flush valve, it's possible that your restrictor is incorporated as part of that valve, that's how my system works, restrictor & flush valve in one unit. There should also be a one way check valve somewhere in there, I just don't recall where that's located, somewhere close to the membrane housing IIRC.

Madreefer
12-24-2010, 04:48 AM
In another previous post you mentioned something about finishing a 30 second 'flush'. How is that done?

I don't know how it works. This unit has a little computer that is programmed to do an autoflush every half hour for 30 secs. I hear it come on and it does a countdown. Mine was a store tester so I think production models are on a different program for time. There is no flow restrictor that I have been able to find.

mike31154
12-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Ya, sorry, my bad, I posted before watching Albert's video. Looks like your unit has the restrictor pushed into the end of the tubing. Have another look at the vid, it's just a small plastic piece by the looks of it.