PDA

View Full Version : Baby cardinal (pics)

Ryanst
12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Well I just finished doing a water change and I was checking the water level in the last compartment of my sump and I found this little guy.
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/baby2.jpg
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae171/Ryanst/baby.jpg
I only found one so I think the others probably got killed already. I dont know what to do with it though what should I feed it? I have a tiny tank I could put it in but I cant put a powerhead in so I guess a bubbler thing? Any advise would be appreciated. thanks

Seafan
12-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Ha, same thing happened to me 5 months ago, cute aren't they? Anyways didn't have a place for mine either, so I kept him in my fuge, mine has been eating pods and then I introduced frozen rotifers and he's doing great and growing really well ever since. Hope you have luck with yours.

toytech
12-23-2010, 05:42 AM
thats so cool! Free fish and a cute one at that .

The Grizz
12-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Sweet find, i so need to find a mate for mine he looks so lonely.

mark0933
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
If you have a small tank (ideally hooked up to the main tank for water quality) then put him in there, otherwise I'd recommend getting one of those small guppy breeder nets (the nylon stocking type) and put him in there in your sump - feed him baby brine, then in a few weeks try cyclopeeze then move on to mashed up hikari mysis...

Plenty of work for just one, but they are so cute it is rewarding when they grow up (I have raised 60 or so, and the nylon nets work fine, and the mesh is small so it keeps the bbs in with him a little longer.

Mark

Ryanst
12-24-2010, 06:17 PM
well the cardinal died yesterday. :cry:

mark0933
12-24-2010, 06:39 PM
So next time you see the male holding, count 25 days, then at 2AM you can catch him in a net easily, remove him from the tank (expose him to air) and drop him into a small bowl. He should release all the babies then, and you can give raising them a real try.

Mark

Myka
12-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Aw, that sucks. In the future, when first born they will readily take newly hatched brine shrimp (shrimp less than 24 hours old). After a couple days they can be weaned to frozen Cyclopeeze. Wean them asap as they will get hooked on the BS real quick.

Ryanst
12-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I think one of my other cardinals is holding eggs again the only problem is i only see it like once a week maybe. It seems like it hides when it has eggs and my tank is so big its hard to find him.