PDA

View Full Version : UPS ideas

Ian
12-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone I am looking for input into a backup power supply an what you would consider a minimum to keep runnning to support a tank.

I was away about 2 weeks ago and had a lenghty power outage (entire house) over 6 hours as best I can tell. the end result was my entire SPS wiped out, 1 clown, 1 coral beauty, both cleaner shrimp, lamarks angel,all three clamms, and mandarin goby all perished within 24 hours of this event.

Now the good news is it has motivated me to push my 180/80 gallon sump build ahead faster than planned and I have started to add water to it as of yesterday.:biggrin:
Soooo what would you use as an emergency power supply?

Hey and while your at it what would you have as your highlight fish in this tank...to go with all the new corals you could have?

mike31154
12-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's a link to a previous thread on the subject, some good info there along with additional links to other threads I think.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70156

To condense much of the info as I see it.... if you can afford it, a good sized generator is one of the best options, although the ones built into your home with auto xfer capability for when you're not around are really costly. Everyone's system is different and anything from a couple of cheap battery powered air pumps to the mega generator can save the day, depending on the length of outage, when it happens, your equipment and budget.

Ian
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for that...I have a 3000 wat pures sin wave generatore but unfortuneatly was not hoem to start it....just need a back up for my back up I guess

DiverDude
12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
This subject has been discussed quite a bit already but one detail that hasn't really been addressed all that much is actually one of the most basic -and applies to your recent situation, and that is information.

In other words, one of the biggest things is to KNOW the power has gone out. Had you known, perhaps you could have called someone to go and start that generator.

So perhaps some way of being advised by SMS or such if there is a power failure would be the most valuable 'backup' you could have.

Of course, you need to have someone who can get into your house, connect and run a generator and preferably has reef experience. I guess that means you need a 'disaster plan' so that the person doing this for you is prepped and knows how to do all this and isn't figuring it out on the fly.

TimT
12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Here's an idea I been thinking about, get a computer UPS, plug in a 5watt korallia pump. Korallia runs whether powers on or not. Should keep you going for at least 12hours in a failure. Plus UPS beeps when there's a power failure.

sphelps
12-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Typically all you should really need is a battery powered air pump, pretty cheap investment and it should keep your fish alive during a typical outage.

I have a hard time understanding how you lost so much coral over a 6 hour outage. Typically fish are sensitive because of the lack of oxygen but corals aren't typically effected so easily. I went through a lengthy outage once (around 6-8 hours) with a full SPS tank and I didn't suffer any coral loss.

wolf_bluejay
12-23-2010, 04:48 AM
This subject has been discussed quite a bit already but one detail that hasn't really been addressed all that much is actually one of the most basic -and applies to your recent situation, and that is information.

In other words, one of the biggest things is to KNOW the power has gone out. Had you known, perhaps you could have called someone to go and start that generator.

So perhaps some way of being advised by SMS or such if there is a power failure would be the most valuable 'backup' you could have.

Of course, you need to have someone who can get into your house, connect and run a generator and preferably has reef experience. I guess that means you need a 'disaster plan' so that the person doing this for you is prepped and knows how to do all this and isn't figuring it out on the fly.

I figured I would mention this, as I always monitor power outages all over BC during my work day as it tends to cause servers to stop working:

BC hydro now has RSS feeds of the regional power outages. So if you use a RSS new reader you can get updates on any power outages in your area. They are fairly specific right down to which streets and how many people are out. And of course, you can follow the link to BC hydro's outage maps.

PS -- regular UPS do not handle motors/pumps very well and most of the smaller ones (square wave) will not turn the pump at all. Active line UPS will work, but for something that will run good size pump will be very expensive.

Cheapest solution, next to a generator -- 12VDC pump, controller by a relay connected to main power. When the power goes out, the relay closes and the pump starts. All automatic, runs for hours, and the largest cost is the battery.

Ian
12-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Timing of the power outage was pretty bad as I and my wife were both out of town and yeah just one of those things.. I have a couple battery operated air pumps coming in , in the next couple days and am looking at a few back up power supplies oh and training a tank sitter as well...but he was on call and out of town as wel when this all happened...grr

As for losing the SPS I think the power temp and temp drop started a much bigger crash ( tenmp was down a fair bit).. I did a few very large water changes and monitored thing very closely but yeah couldn't save them.....chalking it up to a harsh learning situation that I will not let happen again if i can avoid it.
On that not new system is about half full of water now....need a faster Ro system I'm thinkin..

mattdean
12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
the end result was my entire SPS wiped out, 1 clown, 1 coral beauty, both cleaner shrimp, lamarks angel,all three clamms, and mandarin goby all perished within 24 hours of this event.

Sorry for your loss. I am away from home right now and I worry about such things.

Were all these fish in the 29 biocube in your signature? I would think this would be the reason for your losses after a fairly short/medium length power outage. If you are over stocked and you do not have good husbandry, your tank will be far too sensitive to these events. That, and the low volume of water, of course.

I have a battery back up for my MP20. It lasts up to 30 hours. I found the UPS options available simply do not run enough equipment for a long enough time.

Ian
12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
No that was a 90 gallon with a 33 gallon sump...just have not added it to the sig...it will be shut down shortly as the 180 with an 80 sump is nearly ready to go....