PDA

View Full Version : Nano reef sump.

ogopogo
12-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey guys, New to the site. I've got a question for you all, Even though I think I have the answer (no) I would like a better idea on this, I want to add a sump to my tank... Yes add, The tank has been set up for about 6-7 months now, and I feel I need some more water, It's a 10 gallon nano, 10 pounds live sand, and 12ish pounds of live rock.
If I were to add a sump, Provided everyone doesn't say no its a bad idea to do now, Would it off the start just act as a massive water change? Or would it be like starting all over again, Because I really don't want to start again, I've got some nice coral growth so starting again is a no go.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question!

Sorry, Just noticed that it my mac does not like to make paragraphs.

Twinn
12-22-2010, 05:33 AM
You would only have a new cycle (like starting over again) if you add a bunch of new live rock or sand to your sump. If you just want to add water volume and have a place for items like heaters ect it would be fine.

pirate
12-22-2010, 07:10 PM
If you want to clean up the display area or more total water volume, I think you should be ok. If you were looking to add more rock then IMO you could add dead rock from a lfs.
Are you looking at drilling the tank or an HOB style overflow?

ogopogo
12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice, yeah I'm just looking to do the hob style because the tank is already set up, I plan to just put bioballs for a filter and grow some kalupra(sp?) In the return just for added filter media. sorry if the format is a bit off, I'm on my cellphone haha.
Thanks again!

Twinn
12-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Do not use bio balls, if you need to filter use something like filter floss that you can change. Bio balls will hold onto nasty bacteria and cause problems for tank.

Wayne
12-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah great idea to add a sump, the more water volume the better! Also these little nanos look awesome when they are nice and tidy :lol:

+1 for not using bio balls, I would just add more live rock and use a filter sock personally.