PDA

View Full Version : Considering removal of DSB from Refuge

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Just want thoughts on this, I am not acting on it right away, but would like opinions on the Deep Sand Bed.

As many know, I have had my issues with my coral over the past year. Things are looking up, but I am always looking at my tank and wondering what if. So what if I removed the DSB from my refuge. This DSB is about 8 inches in height, with course at the bottom, medium, then fine on top... The sand bed itself isn not dirty and the top layer is actually still quite clean after over 2 years in place. I have heard many have the DSB go black, mine isn't even close to this... And then I have about 8 or so inches of Live Rock on top.

Would removing it help any, or do you think it would hurt? Just wondering your thoughts and why? thanks in advance.

reefwars
12-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm thinking about incorporating a removeable sand bed in my fuge I'm gonna use the plastic trays you get with a tile saw and fill t with sAnd and that was. Can remove it ifi don't like how it's working...... I wasn't to happy with having a sandbed in my last sump and it's a pain in the ass to remove once it's old and your tank is still running :):)

gobytron
12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
if your LR is sitting right on top of the DSB, you could easily be having nitrogen gas build up in there....

I will not do another DSB myself without a Plenum...
Incorporating a plenum in your easily removed DSB might make for a very marketable product.

naesco
12-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Just want thoughts on this, I am not acting on it right away, but would like opinions on the Deep Sand Bed.

As many know, I have had my issues with my coral over the past year. Things are looking up, but I am always looking at my tank and wondering what if. So what if I removed the DSB from my refuge. This DSB is about 8 inches in height, with course at the bottom, medium, then fine on top... The sand bed itself isn not dirty and the top layer is actually still quite clean after over 2 years in place. I have heard many have the DSB go black, mine isn't even close to this... And then I have about 8 or so inches of Live Rock on top.

Would removing it help any, or do you think it would hurt? Just wondering your thoughts and why? thanks in advance.

I would remove everything and replace it with 3-4 inches fine sand. I would not recommend a plenum in your refugium or in your main tank.

lorenz0
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
If you remove your DBS make sure none of that water in the same section makes it anywhere. Just like doing a major water change

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 10:21 PM
F... IT!!! I removed it... I was bored so took it out.

Since it is in a refuge chamber, I took out the live rock and put in pails, then I started scooping out the sand and putting in bags, then taking out the water in that chamber. Boy the water was bad... really yucky!!! But I was able to remove without contaminating the rest of the tank.

Anyways, all sand is out, and I have put the live rock back in and this also allowed for me to put a filter bag on the second drain. Filled tank back up with water to replace what was removed and by what the sand occupied.

If someone want the Araganite, I have it in bags in my garage. It is perfectly good, but I would rinse real well and start fresh with it. ANY TAKERS? it will be cheap to whomever wants it. Just pm me.

Now I see if this also helps my tank. Time again will tell.