PDA

View Full Version : 3 part or Ca Reactor

apexifd
12-21-2010, 02:16 AM
with boxing day coming up, I am hoping these will go on sale @ J&L. but, which one should I get??

thinking of either 3 part Aquamedic doser or deltec reactor package.

any feed back will be great.

thanks

Peter

Dez
12-21-2010, 02:28 AM
I have never used 2 part, but have been using a calcium reactor all along. A calcium reactor is expensive to start out, but after that it's pretty inexpensive. I find it maintenance free. I have lots of stony corals but it's still maintenance free. I know many of the hobbyists are on 2 part, I'm not sure how often you have to mix and refill etc... I basically fill my reactor about once every 4 months and I only have a 10lb C02 bottle but that lasts about 6 months. I picked a reactor that was super easy to refill to make filling easy, it has a screw top, so no thumb screws to deal with. HOpe this helps.

Aquattro
12-21-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm with Dez on the reactor..

TimT
12-21-2010, 02:31 AM
I would steer clear of Deltec. THey use a modified powerhead which is a pain to repair or get parts for when it wears out after a few years.

I switched from CA reactor to 3 part cause my 4' tall DIY reactor could not keep up. If you still want to go reactor I have one of Titus's CanReef reactors that you can have for $75. I have the Eheim 1060 pump that it uses too. Another $75 for the pump.

Coleus
12-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Depend on your tank size and what you are housing. BRS has a very good video explaining what you should go for

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/

Select "Choosing a calcium ..." topic

Dez
12-21-2010, 03:09 AM
I would steer clear of Deltec. THey use a modified powerhead which is a pain to repair or get parts for when it wears out after a few years.

I switched from CA reactor to 3 part cause my 4' tall DIY reactor could not keep up. If you still want to go reactor I have one of Titus's CanReef reactors that you can have for $75. I have the Eheim 1060 pump that it uses too. Another $75 for the pump.

I'm not sure if it's the size of the reactor that counts, but how you adjust it. You could have a 4' tall reactor but if you aren't adjusting the effluent to flow enough, it won't keep up. I only have a 150 gallon, but it's literally jam packed with sps that's growing at an alarming rate and about 200 frags in my frag tank at any given time and I run a small calcium reactor (it's the reef octopus dual chamber one). I just adjust the effluent to flow more if my levels aren't keeping up. At first, it was just "drip drip drip", now with all of the corals growing so much it's more like a tiny stream. This is only from my experience and not to create any conflict. Hopefully it will aid the original thread apexifd in his decision.

apexifd
12-21-2010, 04:16 AM
oh yeah.. I should have mentioned that this will be an SPS dominated 75gal tank.

whatcaneyedo
12-21-2010, 04:16 AM
I've got the PM 622 Ca Reactor on my 220gal system and I'll never change. However you'll find that most people (2:1) on this site prefer 2-part dosing. Do your research and decide on what will work best for you. Also, have a look in the buy/sell section. I think there are three calcium reactors for sale used right now. If you're looking for a deal that would be the best way to go.

So it's 2010 now. Who still uses a calcium reactor and who's all on 2-part dosing?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66438

TimT
12-21-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure if it's the size of the reactor that counts, but how you adjust it. You could have a 4' tall reactor but if you aren't adjusting the effluent to flow enough, it won't keep up.

Yes, I agree completely that proper adjustment is very important for reactors. My reactor had a Tunze pH controller which kept the reactor at 6.5. The effluent line was wide open and it still couldn't keep up. I even pressurized the reactor to 10 psi to get it to flow more but it still couldn't keep up. It was time for a new methodology. :-)

When I switched to dosing 3 part with a standalone GHL doser I used 2.5 - 3 litres per day of Calcium mix. 3 part Balling is much cleaner for me. Now I make a pail of each mix and dont worry about it for a bit.

ScubaSteve
12-21-2010, 07:47 AM
To comment with my limited experience in dosing, what attracted me to 3 part is the the ability to really dial in how much you dose. Calc reactor are like dosing kalk in that alk and calc are going in at the same ratio. If your levels are off for whatever reason, you can up either calc or alk independently without needing another product. So far I've found 3-part to be just dandy. But then again, once a calc reactor is dialed in it's good...

Bryan
12-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Done both and prefer a CA reactor. A bit of a hassle to dial in, but the coral growth has been better.

apexifd
12-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Almost certain that I will be getting Ca reactor now. Seems like I get more postive feedback on the reactor in sps tank.

I guess I will be looking for. Co2 tank, regulator with solenoid, reactor, and a ph probe add-on to my rkl. And I missing anything else??

Hmmmm.... Sounds like an expensive and busy holiday season for me

Lampshade
12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
+1 on the reactor, like many have said, big initial cost, after that it's pretty pain free. I picked up mine used, great deal. The only issue's i've had with mine have been air lock in the lines, but i think i've fixed that with shorter lines now and everythings been going great. Reading about it online everyone was saying how difficult it was to dial in, I've found it very simple. I set it to the avg stocked tank recomendation, then tinkered for a couple days, and my PH/ALK have been perfect since.

The PH probe can make it easier to set up, i don't use a PH auto shut off, never had any problems. The only thing that could go REALLY wrong would be extra CO2, and i have no idea how that could happen. (Insert crash stories here?). Temporary extra flow will raise the PH in your reactor making it less efficient, but won't nuke your tank unless your reactors very big. And yes, moving hoses around and stuff one day you will bump the adjustment and realize your 1 drop a second has become 5 :S

My recomendation to make it even easier would be a good needle valve for CO2 flow. And pick up a bottle of 2 part for while you set up, Reactors are made to hold your levels not build them, you'll be constantly fighting it if you try to pick up your ca/alk with a reactor.

Dez
12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
If you have it hooked to a controller it makes it even easier (a ca reactor) to dial in. I just set it so that if ph in the reactor is greater than 6.8, then turn co2 on, and if it's less then 6.7 turn it off. Then I really don't care as to what the bubble count of my CO2 is at. Hope this helps. I found it easiest also to T off my return pump a 1/4" flexible hose to feed the reactor. I used to gravity feed but I found that after a few months it would get clogged. Hope this helps.

apexifd
12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
If you have it hooked to a controller it makes it even easier (a ca reactor) to dial in. I just set it so that if ph in the reactor is greater than 6.8, then turn co2 on, and if it's less then 6.7 turn it off. Then I really don't care as to what the bubble count of my CO2 is at. Hope this helps. I found it easiest also to T off my return pump a 1/4" flexible hose to feed the reactor. I used to gravity feed but I found that after a few months it would get clogged. Hope this helps.

now that sounds really easy to setup after spending $$$.

anyone tried or heard anything about Vertex reactor? Looks fancy from the picture.

Dyspnea
12-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Not sure about there ca reactor, but the Zeo reactor and media reactors are really well built.