PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

robbyville
12-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Hi all,

After re-scaping in order to get the "non-Shrimp loving" fish into the QT system, we noticed this on a piece of rock.

Any ideas as to what it is and whether it's good or not?

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/477Sponge.jpg?1201

thanks,

Rob

StirCrazy
12-18-2003, 01:47 AM
looks like sponge and it is good.

Steve

LostMind
12-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Read a book called reef invertebrates that basically said sponges were great :)

nice colour on that one too!

Delphinus
12-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Cool colour! I see some blue peeking in there too.

monza
12-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Nice sponge, in the book Reef Invertebrates it also mentions that most sponges like moderate lighting so if you just moved it you might want to make sure it's not getting to much light. If you could not see it before, most likely it was in a low lighting spot or even shaded.

Dave

PS. That book Reef Invertebrates is a great book, just got it and powered though it. .

IslandReefer
12-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi all,

After re-scaping in order to get the "non-Shrimp loving" fish into the QT system, we noticed this on a piece of rock.

Any ideas as to what it is and whether it's good or not?

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/477Sponge.jpg?1201

thanks,

Rob

I had read that sponges are toast the minute you remove them from the water......and yes I also think that is a sponge ....very nice. So what I am asking is did this get exposed to air during the rearrangement?
I was just curious and hopeful for a few colorful hitchhikers like that within my live rock.(Or must they come later?)
john

StirCrazy
12-18-2003, 01:07 PM
I had read that sponges are toast the minute you remove them from the water......

john

not nessasarly true, I have had several sponges that survived my tank move and every one was exposed to the air for a while. There are some types of sponges that will be tost if you expose them to air, but not all.

Steve

Aquattro
12-18-2003, 05:27 PM
I had read that sponges are toast the minute you remove them from the water......

john

not nessasarly true, I have had several sponges that survived my tank move and every one was exposed to the air for a while. There are some types of sponges that will be tost if you expose them to air, but not all.

Steve

Gotta agree with Steve. I have a lot of sponges, and all of them have been exposed to air and are still fine. Some do not tolerate however, and since I can't which do and which don't, it's porlly best to not expose any of them.

kris
12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey just thought i would put in my 2cents. I have moved man of my sponges in to the air for some time. All come back fine. They way I look at it is if they where shipped to here not in water, more then likely they will be fine in a little air for a short while. I would be more worried of them drying out which I believe dose more damage then having to breath air. but this is JMO.

Cheers!

roverT
12-18-2003, 07:55 PM
If, you still don't know if is a sponge then just touch it and if it feels like a sponge then that is what it is.