PDA

View Full Version : help!!

Fishguy52
12-20-2010, 11:54 PM
came home today and found all me coral and fish not looking so hot, coral all closed up/ not exstedned and my fish hiding in the back. tested amona, nitrate and ph all are good.
thinking i am going to do a water change does that sound right?

ScubaSteve
12-20-2010, 11:59 PM
By default a water change is the first thing I'd do, then run lots of carbon. Retest ammonia and nitrates. Make sure you give the test enough time for the colours to actually show up; most people don't do this and just go "Oh, ammonia and nitrates zero".

Do you have softies in your tank? Could be a bout of chemical warfare.
How's the temperature looking?
Is the tank getting enough aeration/gass exchange?
Did anything poisonous die?

lorenz0
12-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Is the water cloudy?

Sounds like something in there decided to nuke the tank

Fishguy52
12-21-2010, 05:22 PM
thanks guys! seems to be getting better, coral and fish are out this morning. i am wondering about this coral warfare thing. i have read about it be for.

i have colt coral
frog-spawn
bobble coral
finger leather and green star p.

would any of these fight with each other ?

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
thanks guys! seems to be getting better, coral and fish are out this morning. i am wondering about this coral warfare thing. i have read about it be for.

i have colt coral
frog-spawn
bobble coral
finger leather and green star p.

would any of these fight with each other ?

I don't think the corals you listed would fight. I am having/had coral issues, but I have a mixture of SPS, Softies, zoas and so forth... I think the problem lies when different species intermix and get in the way.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

Glad to hear things didn't go that bad. Have a great Holiday Season!

Edit: My post isn't totally accurate, before bashing me, see my update below.... HEHE and Merry HOHO!

ALang
12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh yes, they certainly would. Keep them away from each other, at least 4 to 5 inches apart unless you see long stingers reaching that far.

Lots of flow to keep chemicals off each of them would help, as well.
Carbon, and water changes.

Oh, I'd look for snails as well. Lift them up and sniff them. They may have died and you wouldn't know it, they'd fouled up the water pretty quickly.

Maybe do yet another water change, just to be sure.HTH.

globaldesigns
12-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh yes, they certainly would. Keep them away from each other, at least 4 to 5 inches apart unless you see long stingers reaching that far.

Lots of flow to keep chemicals off each of them would help, as well.
Carbon, and water changes.

Oh, I'd look for snails as well. Lift them up and sniff them. They may have died and you wouldn't know it, they'd fouled up the water pretty quickly.

Maybe do yet another water change, just to be sure.HTH.

OOOPS, forgot about the stinging, my mind was just on toxin emmisions... Sorry about that. I should of known that, since I have all those corals also. Also I was thinking as long as they were not to close, they shouldn't have issues, but I didn't explain it well. Sorry.

ALang is certainly correct, things like frogspawn, torches, etc. can extend their branches and they can sting around them, to clear way for their growth. So Yes, don't have them too close to each other.

reefwars
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Would keep an eye on your temp if your not using a controller temp can go unnoticed alot if times. If the temp gets high it's not unusual to see coral closing up and fish hiding in dark places. If everything is fine again the next day I would suspect this even more:) glad it's ok :)

Fishguy52
12-22-2010, 12:37 AM
75F right guys is that the temp i want ? i am sure it is

reefwars
12-22-2010, 12:40 AM
ideally you would want between 78-80......75 is a bit on the low side:)