PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm! I wonder sometimes!?

mws
12-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I got this from nano-reef forum.
Just hopping Niger trigger and copper-banded butterfly wasn't a full size fishes.

Last night when I flipped on the lights to my tank, and I was shocked to find everything in my tank, all my fish, my brittle star, everything dead. I've had it up and running for about 2 years now, and lately been having problems with an uncontrollable infestation of aiptasia. I am at a total loss as to what happened. One suspect would be that our power went out for a couple of hours while I was out, but this shouldn't be enough to kill everything should it? With everything dead (except the aiptasia of course, which is flourishing), I plan to take the tank down, but am a little concerned. Having everything die so quickly, are there any health hazards I should be aware of for my own safety when cleaning it? Any ideas on what might have happend? Here is my setup

33 gal tank
Fluval 304 filter
2x96W compact fluorescents
2 Hagan powerheads
40lbs liverock

niger trigger
copper-banded butterfly
2 chromis
2 yellow-tailed damsels
1 perc clown
1 green brittle star
1 moonstone

lorenz0
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
best thing to do when you see people keeping large fish in small tanks, ignore it. Than again I have a yellow tang in my 4' tank

pirate
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
So sorry and sad to hear it. When I saw your tank it was very nice.

Did a electrical device fail and short circuit? Is there any stray voltage in the tank? When was the last time you put your hand into the tank? Did you have any thing on your hands at the time (with out even knowing it)? Make sure that you unplug everything that has power in the tank befor you put your hand into it.

I think I would use a pair of gloves to clean out the tank if you got a pair. And if not make sure that you dont have any cuts on your hands or arms. And wash up really good after your done.

mws
12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
So sorry and sad to hear it. When I saw your tank it was very nice.

Did a electrical device fail and short circuit? Is there any stray voltage in the tank? When was the last time you put your hand into the tank? Did you have any thing on your hands at the time (with out even knowing it)? Make sure that you unplug everything that has power in the tank befor you put your hand into it.

I think I would use a pair of gloves to clean out the tank if you got a pair. And if not make sure that you dont have any cuts on your hands or arms. And wash up really good after your done.

This is not my tank, just a copy-paste from the net.