PDA

View Full Version : tek and ati ballasts

bignose
12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever thought about replacing the ballasts that come with the tek5 fixture with ATI sunpower ballasts. I've heard that they superior with more par. Just a thought as I don't need to do this, just curious as to what other t5 users might think. My only thought would be heat issues since the sunpower fixtures have intake fans.

Slick Fork
12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think the ballast is the big difference. The increase in performance comes from the active cooling and superior reflectors in the sunpower.

paddyob
12-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Geez Jason... give your new fixture a chance. Ha ha!

bignose
12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Geez Jason... give your new fixture a chance. Ha ha! Geez Jason... give your new fixture a chance. Ha ha!

I am lol. I won't be changing anything my fixture is brand new. I was deep in thought last night as to why someone couldn't make another fixture comparable without burning a hole in your pocket.

JMes
12-20-2010, 04:10 AM
A cheap fix would be to exchange the tek reflector with the ATI sunpowers.Reef Geek had them on clearance for $10 each. I replaced mine with the ATI Sunpowers and they are a perfect fit. Also, for more par would be to add a fan in the fixture.I also have done this and is an easy mod todo. It also keeps the ballast from getting to hot which adds life to it. I have had this tek for 3 years without any problems so far.
I don't think adding an ATI ballast to a tek is a good idea if the fixture does not have proper cooling.

BlueTang<3
12-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Or breakdown and get the power module

bignose
12-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Or breakdown and get the power module
I wish I could afford and ATI fixture like yours! I'm happy with my Tek fixture so far I just need to find the right bulb mix.

A cheap fix would be to exchange the tek reflector with the ATI sunpowers.Reef Geek had them on clearance for $10 each. I replaced mine with the ATI Sunpowers and they are a perfect fit. Also, for more par would be to add a fan in the fixture.I also have done this and is an easy mod todo. It also keeps the ballast from getting to hot which adds life to it. I have had this tek for 3 years without any problems so far.
I don't think adding an ATI ballast to a tek is a good idea if the fixture does not have proper cooling.
I've thought about the fan mod but I've heard that the Tek ballast are meant to run at an optimal temperature and cooling them too much isn't a good idea. Never thought about changing the reflector to ATI. I have a old Tek fixture I might repair and that could be an option worth thinking about.