PDA

View Full Version : Seriously....How on earth did that happen!

fishoholic
12-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Has anyone else had some strange moments in the hobby were it's left you shaking your head and repeatedly saying "Seriously, Seriously!!!!!!!" like WTF!!!???!!! Well I'm sure others have so feel free to share.

My moment was a few minutes ago when I knew the lights were going out soon so I fed the tank. Then I went upstairs for 3-5 minutes and when I went back downstairs and looked into my tank I saw (now get this) my 8 inch king angel stuck in my overflow!!!!!!!!!! I did a double take thinking I was seeing things cause I know when I fed the tank a few minutes earlier he was in the main display tank area eating mysis like a pig. But no somehow he got into the overflow.

I have dual overflows going top to bottom on both sides of the tank the overflow box is 11"x8" and has a durso pipe and an overflow pipe in the middle. With the glass brace going around the edge and the pipes in the middle there is only about a 5"x3" opening for a fish to jump into. So I ask you how the heck does a 8 inch boss of the tank mean a$$ angelfish manage to jump into a tinier then them opening into a overflow box!!!!????? Cause I'd sure love to know!

Anyway I got him out. I had to squish him between 2 nets and pull him out through the middle between the pipes :surprise: I thought I was going to break his neck when I got towards the top, because he was a bit too big to get out, so he had to bend a bit in order to fit out of the opening :eek: Thankfully though I got him out and he seems ok, scraped up a bit but ok. Even ate some of the krill I tossed in after the whole ordeal. Still don't have a clue how he managed to get in there or what caused him to jump in the first place. Hummm now that I'm thinking about it more.....my cleaner wrasse does constantly clean him, he has always seemed to enjoy it though, but maybe the cleaner picked a bit to hard and made him jump?

Have had him for a year and a half and this is the first time he's jumped. Well on the bright side, better to find him in the overflow a few minutes after he went in there then find him dead on the floor the next day.

Anyone else have a crazy moment you want to share?

Delphinus
12-18-2010, 05:10 AM
That gives a whole new dimension to the phrase "big fish in a little pond."

muck
12-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Has anyone else had some strange moments in the hobby were it's left you shaking your head and repeatedly saying "Seriously, Seriously!!!!!!!" like WTF!!!???!!! Well I'm sure others have so feel free to share.
Pretty sure if it could happen Tony has had it happen to him by now...

fishoholic
12-18-2010, 01:35 PM
That gives a whole new dimension to the phrase "big fish in a little pond."

Yes it does doesn't it :lol:

Pretty sure if it could happen Tony has had it happen to him by now...

:laugh: I bet your right Ryan :mrgreen:

earliris
12-19-2010, 05:03 AM
I can somewhat relate... I had a total of 3 green chromis for almost 2 months.. then suddenly had a wave of suicides :confused:.. finding one dead on the floor one day followed by another the next day and then witnessed the third chromis attempt a suicide the third day, but luckily was there to pick him off the floor and toss him back in the tank.. and he hasn't attempted it since.. almost reminds me of the movie Final Destination.

Wayne
12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I had a "Seriously" moment :lol:

I came home to find out one of my new clowns was missing! I have a canopy so it wasn't likely that he was on the floor, so I started looking in the overflow boxes... Nope. Well maybe he is on the floor? Nope. Maybe in the first chamber of the sump, nope. Second chamber, nope. No way he hes in the third chamber... YUP! The third chamber means he had to jump into my overflow box, up through my durso style drains, jump over 2 acrylic panels and a 3" wide prefilter. An adventure Finding Nemo style :wink: