PDA

View Full Version : Tank issues..

Magma
12-18-2010, 04:10 AM
noticed yesterday some acans i had didnt seem as big as they were a few days ago, and today i noticed they still seemed smaller, also my GBTA has retracted into the rock hes on and hes hardly even seen yet just yesterday hes been open and happy. Also the protein skimmer died today so its been off for about 3 hours..

SG 1.025
ph-8.4
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0-5ppm
Temp 78

tank is a 40gal with 2 black clowns and royal gramma how long do think i can run this without a skimmer?

kien
12-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Without a skimmer you will want to find an alternate way to oxygenate your water. Either use an air stone with a pump or point some powerheads at the water surface to agitate it more. Lots of people run tanks without skimmers and this is fine so long as you do frequent water changes and keep your water well oxygenated as described.

Magma
12-18-2010, 05:20 AM
good to know, I always keep my powerheads pointed toward the surface so i get a good wave effect on the water. Just keep testing the water and doing changes i guess...

paddyob
12-18-2010, 05:29 AM
+1 on being ok without a skimmer. You only have 3 fish in a 40 gallon tank so your bio load should be relatively low.

Just ensure to watch your feedings and other controllable factors.

outacontrol
12-18-2010, 05:31 AM
don't worry about not having a skimmer, I have twice as many fish as that in a 33 gallon tank with no skimmer, or filter, just powerheads.

Magma
12-18-2010, 05:36 AM
im running a rena xp1 canister filter but I removed the filter pads and just added live rock rubble into it, i also have a koralia #1 and #3 Power heads in the tank and about 50lbs of aragonite sand for about a 4" sand bed, and about 50lbs of live rock now