PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp able to fire rapidly??

zum14
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Just curious if anyone knows wether a pistol shrimp can unload a full clip all at once or if hes a single shot? Im trying to figure out what the heck is still in my tank, went over the rock as best as I could when I put it in but low and behold I have 2 more crabs (thats 6 total!!) and as I was laying down for sleep last night I heard like 4 clicks fairly quickly, then 6. I got up and went to the tank with a flashlight but couldnt really see much. Im going to take a red marker light from a truck tonight and rig it up so I can look into the tank tonight with a red lense. Im just curious if its still a pistol or if its a mantis. Im getting kinda worried as I did see quite a few stripped stomatello snail shells when i pulled the last tank apart. I really want to get this pest thing sorted out before I throw all my coral back in.

sphelps
12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Pistol shrimps are usually single or double shots. Rapid fire is typical of mantis shrimps.

gobytron
12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
pistol shrimp often live in colonies and use their clicking as one form of communication.

I know when I first got my LR fresh, I had 18 or so living in the 2 larger pieces...

paddyob
12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I have the same thing in my tank.

It has been in my tank for over 4 years and I have never seen a thing. No shells or anything. AND on top of that... it started in my 20 gallon and moved with a rock into the new tank. I HAVE LOOKED LIKE MAD AND NEVER FIND A SOURCE. But guess what.... it just snapped again while I type ha ha!

I figure if it is a mantis... I would be having some sort of issues with loss of small fish or snails. I do have snail shells... but who does not lose a snail or a few?

I also assume after 4 years a mantis would have to be something of size as it would be obviously eating and growing.

As for pistol shrimp? Who knows.... still no shell traces.

Once in a while I see a "molt" that looks like a big pod.... so maybe thats my culprit.... perhaps a 1/2" molt.

zum14
12-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Hmm, multile pistols would make sense too. Ive already gotten one out of my tank as it is. There has been clicking noises in my tank ever since the beginning, Moved tanks 3 times now and still clicks. Never lost any fish or shrimps. Maybe ill see something tonight with the red light.

gobytron
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
IMO, if it is multiple pistols, as long as your tank is well fed, you wont ever have to worry about them hurting any other tank mates.