PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of clove polyps, zoo's and such

loveless
12-17-2010, 04:35 AM
I have some rock with Clove polyps, brown zoo,s and some rics that I no longer want, and are starting to become a problem.

Question. If I place the rock in the sump without light will all these corals shrink and just go away? Or is some more extreme measures needed like blow torches and full on assault.

Dez
12-17-2010, 04:40 AM
I have some rock with Clove polyps, brown zoo,s and some rics that I no longer want, and are starting to become a problem.

Question. If I place the rock in the sump without light will all these corals shrink and just go away? Or is some more extreme measures needed like blow torches and full on assault.

Unfortunately, blow torches and full on assaults would be the answer. I would personally kill the rock completely by actually boiling it or something and then soak it in RO water for a few weeks with water changes to get everything out, then re-introduce it back into your tank and it'll re seed itself.

fencer
12-17-2010, 04:44 AM
just toss it outside

reefwars
12-17-2010, 04:51 AM
or give it to me in exchange for clean rock if you like:):)

whatcaneyedo
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
It took several months (close to a full year) for the green star polyps to die off of my rock when I left them in the dark. If that is too long to wait, a small butane torch will kill them off within a few minutes.

reefwars
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
It took several months (close to a full year) for the green star polyps to die off of my rock when I left them in the dark. If that is too long to wait, a small butane torch will kill them off within a few minutes.

i got some off a friend who had a piece in the sump also for several months within a few days it was back to life in my tank:):)

loveless
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like ive got some work to do.

fishytime
12-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Ive used Tailored Aquatics aptaisia destroyer in the past to "knock back" some mushies and such......could try that if your not wanting to completely rid yourself of the encroachers