PDA

View Full Version : ATO

Wayne
12-17-2010, 02:56 AM
I am looking for a ATO and I have only really heard of Tunze and JBJ. Any recommendations or advice :)

BWI
12-17-2010, 03:47 AM
check out our systems.. there are many people out there using this system!
ATO LINK (http://www.bwiplumbing.com/categories/Auto-Top-Off-Systems-/)

Reefer Rob
12-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Get a Profilux controller. The ATO works well, and you have all the other functions!

whatcaneyedo
12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
All of the all-in-one controllers (Neptune, Profilux, Digital Aquatics, etc) can do ATO as well with the additon of a float switch and pump. Or for about $20 you can buy a float valve and some 1/4" tube from Home Depot and rig up a gravit fed one. Seach on this site and you'll find some more ideas.

Wayne
12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
What kind of failures might occur with the contollers? Do they have backup safetys?

Reefer Rob
12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
You can set the maximum time the pump will run to prevent an overflow in the case of a stuck switch. If you can set up a gravity feed it is the simplest system. I ran that for 4 years without any problems even though I had a controller. I've only just started using the ATO with the Profilux on my new cube because it is sump-less.

sphelps
12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a profilux and the amount of safety you can add is endless. Max on time for one which is fairly full proof but you can also add additional float(s) for back up as well. Plus it was alarms which can be silent or audio and you can even add a module that will text your cell if a problem occurs.

intarsiabox
12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Wayne,

If you're not looking to spend a lot, check out Autotopoff.com. I've heard good things about their products but no personal experience to attest to.

whatcaneyedo
12-17-2010, 11:52 PM
What kind of failures might occur with the contollers? Do they have backup safetys?

They can be as simple or as complicated as you want. I was able to pick up a Tunze ATO used for a steal a few years ago but I run it plugged into my Neptune controller for some extra protection. I also use a kalkwasser reactor and there is some risk of raising the pH too high so I came up with this:

Max Change 030 M Then ATO OFF
If pH > 08.60 Then ALM ON
If pH > 08.40 Then ATO OFF
If Switch1 OPEN Then ATO OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ATO ON
If Timer KAL = ON Then ATO OFF

Wayne
12-18-2010, 01:57 AM
All of the all-in-one controllers (Neptune, Profilux, Digital Aquatics, etc) can do ATO as well with the additon of a float switch and pump. Or for about $20 you can buy a float valve and some 1/4" tube from Home Depot and rig up a gravit fed one. Seach on this site and you'll find some more ideas.

This is something that I am considering, but at this time I don't think its going to be possible. On my next tank I will invest in a system just so its less maintenance :lol:

You can set the maximum time the pump will run to prevent an overflow in the case of a stuck switch. If you can set up a gravity feed it is the simplest system. I ran that for 4 years without any problems even though I had a controller. I've only just started using the ATO with the Profilux on my new cube because it is sump-less.

Unfortunatly I have no room in my stand for a bottle. Especially if I every put a reactor in there :lol:. I do like the idea because even if it "fails" its only going to dump a certain amount of water in and no more.

Wayne,

If you're not looking to spend a lot, check out Autotopoff.com. I've heard good things about their products but no personal experience to attest to.

I like the simplicity of the system... But on the other hand I do like dry floors, is one float switch enough of a safety?

Bloodasp
12-18-2010, 02:19 AM
I like the simplicity of the system... But on the other hand I do like dry floors, is one float switch enough of a safety?
I would still use 2 for redundancy.
I have DIY'ed a similar one but bought the float switches off ebay and the rest were stuff I had lying around. It has been a little over a year and so far so good no failures yet nor has it ever tripped the second float switch.

Wayne
12-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I would still use 2 for redundancy.
I have DIY'ed a similar one but bought the float switches off ebay and the rest were stuff I had lying around. It has been a little over a year and so far so good no failures yet nor has it ever tripped the second float switch.

"Redundany" in this case that means dry floors! I like that word :lol:

Do you have 2 "max water" switches? Or is it like the BWI/Autotopoff one with 1 fail safe float?

intarsiabox
12-18-2010, 02:39 AM
The Double Switch Controller at autotopoff.com has a main float switch and then an emergency float switch set a little higher in the event that the first one fails. Not a bad set up for $50.

intarsiabox
12-18-2010, 02:44 AM
"Redundany" in this case that means dry floors! I like that word :lol:

Do you have 2 "max water" switches? Or is it like the BWI/Autotopoff one with 1 fail safe float?

Either way one float has to be higher than the other and they both have to be wired to the pump to tell it when to turn on/off. If you set both floats at exactly the same height how would you know if one wasn't working?

Bloodasp
12-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Either way one float has to be higher than the other and they both have to be wired to the pump to tell it when to turn on/off. If you set both floats at exactly the same height how would you know if one wasn't working?
Yup this is the way I have it set up.

Wayne
12-18-2010, 03:02 AM

LOL Jeff! I ment having 3 with each on top of each other. Which thinking more about it would be overkill :redface:

Bloodasp
12-18-2010, 04:48 AM
I don't see any disadvantage of having 3 switches there. I guess the biggest issue with adding so many failsafes are space and cost but switches costs only roughly $2.00 each so if it helps you sleep better and not worry about flooding your floor adding a third level of safety does not hurt.

Douglas
12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Wayne, I use this one. It has never failed me yet.

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/tsunami-auto-system-p-840.html

Along with a Aqua lifter Pump, and a water container of some type, and some hose.

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/aqua-lifter-vacuum-pump-p-844.html

http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/products/topoff_system/index.html

Just another option. Doug

BWI
12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Wayne,

those are the units we carry!

we have the Dual and single sump mount switchs.. and also the 1/4" solenoids

Twinn
12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I have the autotopoff.com (or BWI) ATO with an aqua lifter pump and it works great. With the aqua lifter pump you can have a small fresh water container and if you run the pump dry it shouldn't wreck the pump.

This is my second saftey the way I look at it I would rather burn out a pump then flood my floor.

mike31154
12-18-2010, 07:51 PM
If you don't have room in the sump for a top off bottle and don't mind having a bottle sitting next to your stand (visible), you can do a variation of the gravity feed. Use an air pump on a timer to pressurize the container and have a feed line to mechanical float switch in your sump. Simple, nothing to burn out really, the air pump doesn't care if it runs a little longer than necessary. Just takes a little experimentation to dial in the timings. I run my air pump a few minutes every few hours and it keeps up nicely. Pretty unlikely to cause any major flooding, only electrical part is the air pump, nothing with wires in the water.

Wayne
12-19-2010, 02:37 PM
If you don't have room in the sump for a top off bottle and don't mind having a bottle sitting next to your stand (visible), you can do a variation of the gravity feed. Use an air pump on a timer to pressurize the container and have a feed line to mechanical float switch in your sump. Simple, nothing to burn out really, the air pump doesn't care if it runs a little longer than necessary. Just takes a little experimentation to dial in the timings. I run my air pump a few minutes every few hours and it keeps up nicely. Pretty unlikely to cause any major flooding, only electrical part is the air pump, nothing with wires in the water.

I already have a 13G tank beside my DT right now for top offs. Interesting idea though!

Wayne
12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I am going to be picking up a JBJ ATO unit from a fellow Canreefer but it only has a min and max float switch. I am wondering if its possible to add 2 more switches? 1 for min level in my resevoir and a fail safe switch in sump? Can the Autotopoff.com unit work for this purpose with a mod?

mike31154
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I already have a 13G tank beside my DT right now for top offs. Interesting idea though!

Here are some photos of what I use, a 7 gal wine carboy and mechanical humidifier float switch. As mentioned a small air pump on a digital timer keeps the top off container under positive pressure to provide water through the float switch. Keeps my system nicely topped up for about a week. The container sits on it's own stand, just a little lower than the display. I suppose I could hide it in a wicker basket or something, but just can't be bothered. I don't mind it there and it's easier to change out bottles.

When I do my basement sump I will be using gravity feed, so no air pump required. With regard to the number of electrical float switches on an ATO, there comes a point where complexity outstrips redundancy and you just end up with too many components. If something goes awry, your troubleshooting skills better be good to try and figure out what float switch does what and the consequences of failure of each of them. Just my opinion on that though, I like to keep it as simple as possible.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pgMfxFwpu-5FrhhAcVOggZI5V-0k6zp-UxPX_jKHui7hwl11PtLwbG4nJ9_b-1Br9rJXTp2lssVU_bhtIFBnm-w/Carboy.JPG?psid=1

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pPO3QafyNQ06GhobDdgdVvSB5ONLc2hzjgjfQ842zyvSDQuQ ybfb5qKVwS6gNBsjsnXnveZesRzyyynem4BY9PA/FloatValve.JPG?psid=1