PDA

View Full Version : Another LED question.......

Ryan Joel Smith
12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
So, here are the options for myself right now. I have a 60"L 18"W 24"T 120 gallon. What would be best? 48" 8bulb t5 OR 3 of these: http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/panorama-36-retro.html

This is what it comes down to. The tank came with a 48" 4 bulb t5 so initially in the beginning stages of building the base or rockwork for the reef the lights i currently have are more than enought.

The t5 option will cost roughly 4 to 500 dollars and will give me 432Watts of lighting. That's pretty good bang for the buck.

BUT

The LED option seems to be the hype right now. I do not want to build a light myself so these retrofits for my canopy seem like a good option BUT are they better? I know they are more cost effective but (assuming i dont mind having to replace t5 bulbs frequently) light vs light which will be better for sps growth? Are three of these led units more than enough or still not enough?

I think i'm going to need some LED experts to wiegh in on thie for me.

The best option if money isn't an obsticle would be a 48" Vertex. 48" because i dont want the hangover light that the 60" would give me.

Any thoughts?

naesco
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
So, here are the options for myself right now. I have a 60"L 18"W 24"T 120 gallon. What would be best? 48" 8bulb t5 OR 3 of these: http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/panorama-36-retro.html

This is what it comes down to. The tank came with a 48" 4 bulb t5 so initially in the beginning stages of building the base or rockwork for the reef the lights i currently have are more than enought.

The t5 option will cost roughly 4 to 500 dollars and will give me 432Watts of lighting. That's pretty good bang for the buck.

BUT

The LED option seems to be the hype right now. I do not want to build a light myself so these retrofits for my canopy seem like a good option BUT are they better? I know they are more cost effective but (assuming i dont mind having to replace t5 bulbs frequently) light vs light which will be better for sps growth? Are three of these led units more than enough or still not enough?

I think i'm going to need some LED experts to wiegh in on thie for me.

The best option if money isn't an obsticle would be a 48" Vertex. 48" because i dont want the hangover light that the 60" would give me.

Any thoughts?

Take a look at www.fish-street.com
I have the key lighting and I have two modules and am really happy with the lighting. The florencence is outstanding.
Both the Key and Maxspect come in modules. Ask them which is the best option for a tank with your diamentions.
As well as colour, LED use nominal electricity which is good for the environment, last up to 5 years, and produce little heat. They sit right on the tank so they look good although hangers are provided if you prefer.

Dive_dry
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
i am wondering the same thing but for a 90 and i am leaning towards the led but (aquaray) as they are dim-able and have a lightning to